Public Schools - Indoctrination Centers

This will be like Obamacare. I can just see it. You go to a college and apply and they put in your education code and walla.....every grade and test result will be there on their screen, graphed and analyzed, ever since you flunked kindergarten and had to repeat first grade.

Then depending how good (or bad) you were. will decide where you will fit into their requirements or quotas. Maybe the government will use the data to assign you to the proper school and where they have a need. Obamacare will eventually become Government operated and maybe they will choose who becomes a doctor. They already have control over student funding so where is the stretch in this reasoning?

Maybe the kids who can't cut it will be permanently assigned to living on welfare. Oh wait, that already happened.

Werbung:
This will be like Obamacare. I can just see it. You go to a college and apply and they put in your education code and walla.....every grade and test result will be there on their screen, graphed and analyzed, ever since you flunked kindergarten and had to repeat first grade.

Then depending how good (or bad) you were. will decide where you will fit into their requirements or quotas. Maybe the government will use the data to assign you to the proper school and where they have a need. Obamacare will eventually become Government operated and maybe they will choose who becomes a doctor. They already have control over student funding so where is the stretch in this reasoning?

Maybe the kids who can't cut it will be permanently assigned to living on welfare. Oh wait, that already happened.
I appreciate your intuition ....

At least some of us get it ...

Calif. teachers are already bitching about it and it doesn't go into full effect until next year. I guess they had the understanding that it would not affect the way they chose to teach. Now they are finding out that that is a lie. Apparently they are being told "how" to teach and they aren't liking it.

They also found out that this program was the dream child of a man who has never taught before and the program has never been tested.

Way to go.

State standards, which are basically the same thing, have been in effect for about 15 years now in California. What goes into effect in 2014 is the totally unrealistic expectation that 100% of all of the students will pass a fairly difficult test, regardless of whether or not they've just come here from somewhere that didn't provide schooling, whether or not they speak English, whether or not they have learning disabilities, whether or not they give a rats (bleep!) about the test, whether or not their parents actually send them to school regularly, no excuses, all students have to pass the test.

That's what the teachers are "bitching" about.

That's what the teachers are "bitching" about.

Of course I can't find where I read it. But it was Calif. teachers talking about not being able to teach the way they want to. One of them was a Calif. Teacher of the year. They were also upset about the fact that Common Core had not been classroom tested or that the guy who wrote it had never taught kids before.

Of course I can't find where I read it. But it was Calif. teachers talking about not being able to teach the way they want to. One of them was a Calif. Teacher of the year. They were also upset about the fact that Common Core had not been classroom tested or that the guy who wrote it had never taught kids before.
Those complaints are valid as well. What has happened is the standards movement has created a test driven curriculum. Most people with actual classroom experience would like to see the over emphasis on standardized testing ended.

As I've said before, the test results are not a great indicator of student progress anyway. There are better ways to assess student growth.

Anecdote: I belong to a fishing club that provides aquariums with coolers that can be used to incubate trout and salmon eggs. The kids watch nature in action as eggs become little fish and start swimming around right in their classrooms, then they go to a local river and let them go. Club members talk to them about what happens to the little fish, where they go, what they eat, etc. One of the teachers had to drop out of the program. The reason: The life cycle of trout and salmon is not on the test.

If it ain't on the test, we don't teach it. That's just wrong.

I could repeat what the club's board said about that, but I'm sure you can imagine it.

Those complaints are valid as well. What has happened is the standards movement has created a test driven curriculum. Most people with actual classroom experience would like to see the over emphasis on standardized testing ended.

As I've said before, the test results are not a great indicator of student progress anyway. There are better ways to assess student growth.

Anecdote: I belong to a fishing club that provides aquariums with coolers that can be used to incubate trout and salmon eggs. The kids watch nature in action as eggs become little fish and start swimming around right in their classrooms, then they go to a local river and let them go. Club members talk to them about what happens to the little fish, where they go, what they eat, etc. One of the teachers had to drop out of the program. The reason: The life cycle of trout and salmon is not on the test.

I could repeat what the club's board said about that, but I'm sure you can imagine it.

I have lived in the same area my whole life. I know how things were taught when I was a kid, how my four kids were taught and I still stay interested in the local schools in my neighborhood. I've seen the homework, class projects and open house nights.

I'm actually appalled at what the kids around here now have to do in homework. If they had been my kids, I would have had a fit. It seems like all they do is take tests. There never seems to be a field trip or fun learning project.

Anyone who has ever had to sit through a boring teacher with a boring subject knows. Then to have to take it all home for two more hours. I'm actually not surprised by today's kids' lousy grades, depression and anxiety. There seems to be no joy in learning anymore.

I have to think that some sort of life cycle is in the test. Does it matter which. Seems like one could draw parallels to whichever critter IS in the test and kill two birds with one stone. Cru, bear in mind that trips cost money. When was the last time schools were not complaining about the budget ?

I have lived in the same area my whole life. I know how things were taught when I was a kid, how my four kids were taught and I still stay interested in the local schools in my neighborhood. I've seen the homework, class projects and open house nights.

I'm actually appalled at what the kids around here now have to do in homework. If they had been my kids, I would have had a fit. It seems like all they do is take tests. There never seems to be a field trip or fun learning project.

Anyone who has ever had to sit through a boring teacher with a boring subject knows. Then to have to take it all home for two more hours. I'm actually not surprised by today's kids' lousy grades, depression and anxiety. There seems to be no joy in learning anymore.
Exactly what those teachers you're hearing are complaining about. You have to cover the material, or your students won't be able to pass the big test at the end of the year.

Classroom chaos? Critics blast new Common Core education standards

A full year before students around the nation submit to the new Common Core standardized tests, the federally-backed program is already causing chaos and confusion at local school board meetings, in the classroom and at the dinner table.
So, kids cant do math and parents are upset. Curiously enough they opt not to point fingers at whatever based education their kids were getting prior to this common core stuff which represented the majority of the teaching. Maybe there is a reason the US falters relative to other nations in math etc. And maybe the answer takes more than a couple years to fix. But raising the bar on whats good enough is not the problem, its the solution. The first step is acceptance....

Absolutely.

I was also aware that the slogan "English for the Children" was far more powerful than any real debate in getting the measure passed. Who could be against children learning English in t he USA?

the point is that Rethinking Schools is an organization devoted to liberal indoctrination and they were behind a portion of the debates that you were aware of and lived through. At this point you cannot credibly deny that liberal indoctrination exists in general in public schools.

Werbung:
So, kids cant do math and parents are upset. Curiously enough they opt not to point fingers at whatever based education their kids were getting prior to this common core stuff which represented the majority of the teaching. Maybe there is a reason the US falters relative to other nations in math etc. And maybe the answer takes more than a couple years to fix. But raising the bar on whats good enough is not the problem, its the solution. The first step is acceptance....
There is more to this story than just raising the bar.

I am surprised that you would believe a total take over by the federal government would solve or even help anything.

Back