What is the point?

Is that an admission that you are wrong? This conversation will not go forth until you answer that question.

Werbung:
Hmm let me think.

The question raised by me in my thread is what is the point of eternal life in heaven.

It sounds like you are now saying - there is no eternal life in heaven.

In which case we are in violent agreement.

Not violent at all. I just know how to read and have read the book in question. You on the other hand have admitted to being a coward by refusing to answer any direct question posed to you, and in fact a liar. You stated that you could not comprehend my explanation, and then in the next post admitted that you did in fact understand.

I'm sorry, I forgot, you don't believe in eternal life in heaven

Tell me Dawkins, is it unChristian of me to take great delight in showing what a silly, uninformed boy you are? OH FREAKIN' WELL, I'll let God decide.....lol.

You are a master of delusion

I was being facetious.

I don't believe in eternal life in heaven because the entire concept is nonesense.

I have read the bible twice and there are numerous references to eternal life in heaven.

It is what christians are looking forward to.

And then there is you who gets off on the deluded belief that you have outwitted me.

I am flattered even if you haven't achieved your goal.

Just for a laugh though , what is your brand of christianity that does not have eternal life in heaven as its goal?

You will note that no christians are jumping in to defend you.

Which is really unusual with my posts.

Come on

Give us all a good laugh

"But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

-Romans 6:22-23

That's the only mention of "eternal life" that I know of in the Bible, and it doesn't make any overt references to heaven.

Addressing the baseline question: You must remember, Dawkins, that concepts of "Heaven" and "Hell" take place outside "normal" human experience. They are concepts themselves as much as they are "physical" places. Eternal life sounds boring and monotonous to us because living forever on Earth would be boring and monotonous. However, since Heaven and Hell are abstracts, experience there would necessarily be different from experience on Earth. As Heaven is "paradise," experience there is routed straight to bliss - therefore spending eternity in Heaven would literally be an eternity of bliss. Don't take it to mean an eternity of experiencing blissful things in the fashion we experience them here - that isn't what it means, at least not as I read it.

Note the irony - Diagnostically speaking, psychology would refer to beliefs held divergent to "normal" human experience to be delusions. In essence, experiencing "heaven on Earth" would be a delusion. However, since this uses "normal" experience here as a baseline, saying that heaven is a delusion is simplistic; it would simply set a different standard for experience, wherein experience like that found on Earth would be the delusion and "bliss" would be the standard.

Reasons for disliking Religion (( add-on ))

Denying gay people the equality to marry

Sorry but that is not excusively a religious denial of rights... true social and cultural problems arise from gay marriage..

However... i will vote yes for it the day I see a flaming homosexual man awarded the medal of honor for bravery in the line of duty.. otherwise.. you ain't getting my vote sissy man.

Well thanks for bringing a little bit of reason to the discussion but equally it sounds like the matter gets more confusing.

I am sure you will agree that bliss is a relative state and that as a consequnce it is very difficult to accept the concept of an eternity of said bliss.

Mr Dysfunctional's post appeared while I was posting.

I am not sure if he is on the right thread or the right planet for that matter

Mr Dysfunctional's post appeared while I was posting.

I am not sure if he is on the right thread or the right planet for that matter

so your starting off being insulting? when I am just trying to jump in on a discussion?

More reason for why I am starting to dislike this forum site...

Honestly dawkins.. if personal attacks is all your capable of.. I will report you..

So..... feel like giving me a correct responce to my post instead of violating the rules of the forum? or do I honestly need to cut-and paste the Rules thread for you.

As a matter of fact... this entire thread is border-line offensive.. and would like to make you both aware that personal attacks are not acceptable on this forum. I realize you both are passionate about your thoughts.. however refrain from attacking each others charchter regardless.

As a matter of fact... this entire thread is border-line offensive.. and would like to make you both aware that personal attacks are not acceptable on this forum. I realize you both are passionate about your thoughts.. however refrain from attacking each others charchter regardless.

Good point.

Tone it down, guys.

I have read the bible twice and there are numerous references to eternal life in heaven.

site them. And make sure that they say that eternal life for MAN will be in Heaven, because THAT is what this thread is about. MAN.

Here are a few for you to read as well.

Isaiah 65: 17-25
Revelation 21: 1-5

Please interpret the above in your omniscience.

I'm the kind of Christian who has read, and can comprehend the Bible. You are someone who doesn't understand what he reads, by your own admission.

If you accept that there is no heaven then I am happy to leave it there as that is exactly what I think too.

I must say that I think you are in a very small minority of christians with your particular belief system though.

In other words you don't know what you're talking about. Can't find anything in that book you read TWICE? Odd. Who's laughing now? I accept your admission of ignorance on the subject that you are so fanatical about.

I would like to ask this? Why, if you are so sure that there isn't a God, do you think about it so much? Your average person without major issues doesn't bother to think about things that they are sure aren't there...

And no, I'm not in the minority. Most people of faith aren't fanatics. That would be athiests.

Werbung:
"Proof" of no god, Christianity is myth.

Thomas Aquinas offer several philosophical "proofs" for the existence of God. I offer this philosophical proof that there is no Christian God: All the Christian religions have the element wherein believers are supposed to be more "Christ-like" (live a more moral life due to their commitment), than non-believers. However, it is evident just by observation, that they do not live a more moral existence than non-believers (except in their own perception). In short, no change in behavior, no God. Anticipating the counter posts, just look at the posts of the believers on this forum..."...love thy neighbor as you love yourself..."? Could have fooled me...all I see is rudeness and insults, none of the vaunted "Christian love".

Back