The Night They Dumbed Our Country Down

Bush took over with a government surplus and the previous administration creating a huge amount of jobs. He left bailing out the banks and with the country on the brink of depression, the worst financial situation since the 30s. Your logic doesn't include that. Your version of "logic" is rightwing Limbaugh loon dogma.

You ought to investigate the assumptions the CBO made to predict such a surplus...they were downright laughable.

Additionally, if you examine Treasury figures, no such surplus ever existed...

At best, it was "projected" based on hilarious assumptions (such as absurd growth rates, absurd baseline projections, an assumption that all debt would be paid, and interest could be earned on a surplus, among other things).

You really should examine the CBO report that projected it, it is almost comical some of the things they assumed.

Werbung:
It is a known fact that Clinton left with a surplus, this is unquestioned. Even articles saying that there is some debate about how large the surplus was admit that he left the country in great economic shape. You can state some conspiratorial theory but then again you probably think Obama was born in the Congo too. :)

You ought to investigate the assumptions the CBO made to predict such a surplus...they were downright laughable.

Additionally, if you examine Treasury figures, no such surplus ever existed...

At best, it was "projected" based on hilarious assumptions (such as absurd growth rates, absurd baseline projections, an assumption that all debt would be paid, and interest could be earned on a surplus, among other things).

You really should examine the CBO report that projected it, it is almost comical some of the things they assumed.

Apparently the CBO made the mistake to "Assume" that the next President would be as conscious as Clinton, would keep the country out of harms' way, would not start trillion dollars wars, and would maintain a conservative (not GOP conservative. . .REAL conservative) tax policy.

HOw silly of the CBO!

It is a known fact that Clinton left with a surplus, this is unquestioned. Even articles saying that there is some debate about how large the surplus was admit that he left the country in great economic shape. You can state some conspiratorial theory but then again you probably think Obama was born in the Congo too. :)

sans Social Security surplus being dumped into the general fund (lawfully), no surplus.

His context was similar to saying Obama started the Vietnam War, it was that goofy. His opinion is not valuable when he discredited himself completely in the first verse.

You did not agree with his video, you could still have afforded him the same respect you received from people who did not agree with your video. That was all I was talking about, not if you agreed with the message or not

You did not agree with his video, you could still have afforded him the same respect you received from people who did not agree with your video. That was all I was talking about, not if you agreed with the message or not

I agree with you that it was a well made video. .pulling at people's heart string with a famous and well loved old song (1971 or 72, I believe).

Too bad it was so biased. Blaming Obama for our economic or social situation today is ludicrous. . . I think the message in itself, without pointing the finger to ANYONE would have been powerful and maybe even helpful for all.

But in it's present form. . .it's just propaganda.

And what is very silly, is that you could just change the name Obama for Bush, and change a couple of pictures, and it would be a lot more real!

Although I still think it should just have given the message of the problems we all face in this country, without making it a "partisan" message at all. .(neither Obama nor Bush), and I would have given it an "A."

My song didn't have a ridiculous factual error in the first verse. Now if I had said something like Cain loves Obamacare, you could call my video stupid too.

sans Social Security surplus being dumped into the general fund (lawfully), no surplus.

sure, they'll change the way they calculate for your argument. Meanwhile the Repubs liked to not count military spending as part of their budget. heh

My song didn't have a ridiculous factual error in the first verse. Now if I had said something like Cain loves Obamacare, you could call my video stupid too.

Your video suggested things that are not true but were your opinion. I still wouldn’t call it stupid but more importantly I wouldn’t call you names over it even though it was not factual and very bias

Bush took over with a government surplus and the previous administration creating a huge amount of jobs. He left bailing out the banks and with the country on the brink of depression, the worst financial situation since the 30s. Your logic doesn't include that. Your version of "logic" is rightwing Limbaugh loon dogma.

You really have no understanding of what occurred and what is currently going on.

There was no surplus. And, Bush was a progressive so why do you dump on him? Your Messiah would have done the said thing Bush did and BO approved of the bank bailout...:eek:

The country was not on the brink of depression. That is a left wing talking point which is impossible to verify, but you believe it.

BO did the exact same things Bush would have done, which is spend spend spend to know avail. Both are progressives like you...well I am assuming you are not a Marxist. Let me know if I am wrong.

Well, at least we the SS has an "I owe you!"

Can you say the same about the spending we put in the ridiculous Iraq war?

Yes. China and all other debt buyers get standard t-bills. the ones issued to SSA cannnot be sold to anyone other than SSA but function in the same manner.

It is a known fact that Clinton left with a surplus, this is unquestioned. Even articles saying that there is some debate about how large the surplus was admit that he left the country in great economic shape.

The economy was good under Clinton...I never argued it wasn't...so that point is irrelevent.

That said, in terms of the surplus, it is indeed more or less unquestioned, which is sad, because the Treasury figures simply do not back up this claim.

For example:
In September of 2007, Clinton claimed FY 2000 had a surplus of $230 billion.

Treasury figures for the same year show the the following for our debt:
Beginning FY 2000: 5,656,270,901,633.43
End of FY 2000: 5,678,667,034,082.46

This is an increase in debt of: $22,396,132,449

Maybe you think I am just cherry picking years, so let us take a look at FY 1999 (when Clinton claimed a surplus of $122 billion)

Beginning FY 1999: 5,526,193,008,897.62
End of FY 1999: 5,678,661,795,378.98

This is an increase in debt of: $152,468,786,481

Again, maybe you want to claim I am just making this up...you can access all the Treasury data here (Straight from Treasury, not some outside source)

You can call it "unquestioned", you can call it whatever you want really, but you need to account for how we had a "surplus" and yet added to the deficit EVERY year in which Clinton was in office.

Again, these are figures directly from the US government, not some outside conspiracy shop...you can discount them if you choose, but at that point, you are the one living in a conspiracy world.

Additionally, consider the following about the CBO assumptions on this issue:

• The CBO projected that revenues would average 20.3 percent of GDP throughout the entire decade-even though that level had been reached only three times in the nation's 225-year history.

• The CBO projected that spending across the decade would average 16.4 percent of GDP, even though Washington had not held spending that low in any year since 1951.

• The CBO projected that discretionary spending as a percentage of GDP would decline by 19 percent (including defense spending declining to 2.4 percent of GDP), and that no new entitlements would be created.

• The CBO projections assumed the publicly held debt would be effectively paid off by 2009, and the government would instead begin earning interest on its national surplus-new funds that expanded the budget surplus projections yet further.

You can state some conspiratorial theory but then again you probably think Obama was born in the Congo too. :)

Please explain how increasing the debt is somehow running a surplus and actually paying down the deficit? The only way to account for this is to have simply borrowed the money out of Social Security...which means you add debt in one area, to make another area look good....but it doesn't actually pay down any debt, as seen by the Treasury figures.

And for the record, on this very board you will find posts made by me stating that the whole "birther" issue is an idiotic waste of time...I am not even sure how that comment even relates to what we are talking about...unless you simply are trying to discount actual data based on a conspiracy theory I never believed in...which is somewhat comical.

Werbung:
Apparently the CBO made the mistake to "Assume" that the next President would be as conscious as Clinton, would keep the country out of harms' way, would not start trillion dollars wars, and would maintain a conservative (not GOP conservative. . .REAL conservative) tax policy.

HOw silly of the CBO!

I suggest you take a look at their actual assumptions instead:

Additionally, consider the following about the CBO assumptions on this issue:
The CBO projected that revenues would average 20.3 percent of GDP throughout the entire decade-even though that level had been reached only three times in the nation's 225-year history.

The CBO projected that spending across the decade would average 16.4 percent of GDP, even though Washington had not held spending that low in any year since 1951.

The CBO projected that discretionary spending as a percentage of GDP would decline by 19 percent (including defense spending declining to 2.4 percent of GDP), and that no new entitlements would be created.

The CBO projections assumed the publicly held debt would be effectively paid off by 2009, and the government would instead begin earning interest on its national surplus-new funds that expanded the budget surplus projections yet further.

Back