sex ed in schools..should abstinence be taught

You are really just playing semantics now... Condoms have worked in the past, continue to work now, and will work in the feature barring some unfathomable revelation.

That is not a study it is a blog post the references the Maury show of all things.

Provide something not so laughable.

And they are enforcing it as it applies to school.
Also this doesn't refute what I said...

"Responsibility and accountability are really school related matters..."

I never it was exclusive.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/07/teens-becoming-pregnant-t_n_793063.html
surely HuffPo will satisfy

and you cannot enforce responsibility or accountability as they are personal traits. schools can offer consequences for a failure of having these traits but thats it.

Werbung:

and you cannot enforce responsibility or accountability as they are personal traits. schools can offer consequences for a failure of having these traits but thats it.

Except it doesn't show the trend you claim as it is not a study... It is an entertainment article that has no statistics so to postulate it to be wide spread is unfounded. Do you have any studies at all? Not just the insipid ramblings of a blogger or an entertainment journalist.

You know credible sources w/ academic credibility? The APA or ASA for example.

Correct. The best the schools can do is to support the responsibility and accountability that has been taught by the parents.
The role of schools is to give kids real information and let them make informed decisions. Trying to scare them doesn't work. Teens tend not to be afraid of anything that isn't immediate. Educating them works. Supporting the value of responsibility and accountability works. Instilling those qualities in a kid that hasn't had them demonstrated at home is a pretty iffy proposition at best.

The school doesn't 'provide' choices and doesn't seem like you are interested in allowing them to choose anyway. It seems you are interested in making your personal outlook become part of the curriculum.

The whole idea that by telling them condoms can prevent pregnancy and STI's is encouraging them to engage in sexual escapades is patently absurd.

There is miles of difference between saying, "Condoms can prevent pregnancy and STI's" and "Here is a condom go have an orgy".
Good job altering the meaning of what I actually said!

sex ed in schools..should abstinence be taught?

Apparently sex education of any kind hasn't helped reduce unwed pregnancy and now abortion, in any form. It's worse now than it ever was, except for the few girls/boys that do their homework. It seems like today's culture of sexualizing our youth, has only made the situation worse.

If what you say is true then by your own statements current education does not work very well but previous education worked better. I agree that a culture of sexualization is a factor.

I believe abstinence should not only be taught but encouraged from every adult that have the opportunity to influence a childs life. Why are we so willing to push children into adulthood before they've had the chance to be a child. A twelve years old they still have cotton candy stuck to their lips and yet we're trying to tell them about condoms or shovel a pill down their throat through the guise of "Caring." We as parents and our teachers shouldn't abrogate our authority for the welfare of our Children. If saying 'NO' doesn't work then why are we still telling children to say no to drugs. In fact why are we telling them no to anything they want to do if the premise is they will do it anyways. The logic simply isn't here.
Good Abstinence programs that teach the dangers as well as the personal benefits are far better than the "safe sex" approach.

I believe abstinence should not only be taught but encouraged from every adult that have the opportunity to influence a childs life. Why are we so willing to push children into adulthood before they've had the chance to be a child. A twelve years old they still have cotton candy stuck to their lips and yet we're trying to tell them about condoms or shovel a pill down their throat through the guise of "Caring." We as parents and our teachers shouldn't abrogate our authority for the welfare of our Children. If saying 'NO' doesn't work then why are we still telling children to say no to drugs. In fact why are we telling them no to anything they want to do if the premise is they will do it anyways. The logic simply isn't here.
Good Abstinence programs that teach the dangers as well as the personal benefits are far better than the "safe sex" approach.

If AIDs etal are not enough to put kids off extramarital sex I don't know what is.

The catholic church promotes abstinence in Africa, they are aids ravaged and many refuse to use condoms...
Texas taught abstinence only and then admitted failure when they had the highest rates of teen pregnancies..

Sure it is easy to say abstinence programs work, except you would have to ignore reality and post things from the maury show to support it.

Why is it that with our kids we have a zero tolerance to drugs and a zero tolerance to violence and a zero tolerance to drinking but when it comes to sex we treat them like dogs in heat that cannot control their self’s and hand out condoms?

How is it that we expect them to have self-discipline with drugs, drinking and violence exc. but we don’t think they know how to say no to screwing everything in sight?

And why does the teacher in school insist on calling it safe sex when the guy wears a condom when it says right on the package that it is zero percent effective to protect you against herpes (a disease that is painful and there is no cure) and only percentages effective against everything else from HIV to pregnancy. Safer is one thing but they call it safe.

Ok that was my two cents!

Why is it that with our kids we have a zero tolerance to drugs and a zero tolerance to violence and a zero tolerance to drinking but when it comes to sex we treat them like dogs in heat that cannot control their self’s and hand out condoms?

How is it that we expect them to have self-discipline with drugs, drinking and violence exc. but we don’t think they know how to say no to screwing everything in sight?

And why does the teacher in school insist on calling it safe sex when the guy wears a condom when it says right on the package that it is zero percent effective to protect you against herpes (a disease that is painful and there is no cure) and only percentages effective against everything else from HIV to pregnancy. Safer is one thing but they call it safe.

Ok that was my two cents!

thx for pointing out the central fault in the lib argument. clearly its rationalization as they did not choose discipline themselves and do not wish to feel badly for it.

I agree that that should be the thrust of every adults statement to kids. I see no reason for information about condoms and such to be ignored. Neither should abstinence be ignored.

If AIDs etal are not enough to put kids off extramarital sex I don't know what is.
I think that information about STD's is presented to kids but adults have failed to realize and tell kids just how much of a crisis it is. The level sof std's in young folks and the very serious consequences they are suffereing is nothing short of an epidemic.

Werbung:
The catholic church promotes abstinence in Africa, they are aids ravaged and many refuse to use condoms...
Texas taught abstinence only and then admitted failure when they had the highest rates of teen pregnancies..

Sure it is easy to say abstinence programs work, except you would have to ignore reality and post things from the maury show to support it.

In those two paragraphs you first talked about abstinence only programs and then drew a conclusion about prorams that include abstincence - As Jeopardy says: XXX.

Yes the teaching of the catholic church in Africa is failing. Why? Because the church stands alone against a whole culture in teaching how to avoid AIDS. Here in america if we do not stand united in telling our kids that we expect them not to be having sex when they are too young and not in committed relationships then we weill fail too.

Back