sex ed in schools..should abstinence be taught

I really fail to unsderstand why this keeps being a discussion about abstinence only. The OP was not about abstinence only and virtually no one in this country is advocating abstinence only.

Interestingly enough I found a planned parenthood site discussing this toipic. Almost all of the references go back to 2000 or older. One of them refers to inaccuracies taught about contraceptives in an abstinence only course. Wait!! If an abstinecne only course is teaching about contraceptives then it is not really an abstinence only course is it?

No, it isn't.
Abstinence is to be applauded, to be promoted, to be the best way for teens to avoid pregnancy and other negative results of sexual activity. Unfortunately, they aren't all going to be abstinent, so it is best that they understand the risks and how to minimize them.

They have 24/7 TV programs telling them that jumping from bed to bed is normal behavior, after all.

Werbung:
No, it isn't.
Abstinence is to be applauded, to be promoted, to be the best way for teens to avoid pregnancy and other negative results of sexual activity. Unfortunately, they aren't all going to be abstinent, so it is best that they understand the risks and how to minimize them.

They have 24/7 TV programs telling them that jumping from bed to bed is normal behavior, after all.

Agreed. they need to have all the information. virtually no one is actually advocating abstinence be the only method taught.

"If the school tells the kids about condoms and creams etc but does not say they should avoid the sexual behaviors then it is in effect promoting sexual activity."

Care to back up this assertion?

Isn't it obvious if the school says you have four choices and none of those choices is abstinence then it is advocating sexual activity since every one of the choices mentioned includes sexual activity.

sex ed in schools..should abstinence be taught?

Apparently sex education of any kind hasn't helped reduce unwed pregnancy and now abortion, in any form. It's worse now than it ever was, except for the few girls/boys that do their homework. It seems like today's culture of sexualizing our youth, has only made the situation worse.

"If the school tells the kids about condoms and creams etc but does not say they should avoid the sexual behaviors then it is in effect promoting sexual activity."

Isn't it obvious if the school says you have four choices and none of those choices is abstinence then it is advocating sexual activity since every one of the choices mentioned includes sexual activity.

The school doesn't 'provide' choices and doesn't seem like you are interested in allowing them to choose anyway. It seems you are interested in making your personal outlook become part of the curriculum.

The whole idea that by telling them condoms can prevent pregnancy and STI's is encouraging them to engage in sexual escapades is patently absurd.

There is miles of difference between saying, "Condoms can prevent pregnancy and STI's" and "Here is a condom go have an orgy".

The school doesn't 'provide' choices and doesn't seem like you are interested in allowing them to choose anyway. It seems you are interested in making your personal outlook become part of the curriculum.

The whole idea that by telling them condoms can prevent pregnancy and STI's is encouraging them to engage in sexual escapades is patently absurd.

There is miles of difference between saying, "Condoms can prevent pregnancy and STI's" and "Here is a condom go have an orgy".

You tell them the awful consequences of sex then tell them no worries if you buy a condom (or just hand them out free). You have (falsely) eliminated consequence of the action so there is nothing absurd about it.

You tell them the awful consequences of sex then tell them no worries if you buy a condom (or just hand them out free). You have (falsely) eliminated consequence of the action so there is nothing absurd about it.

This isn't about sex education at all is it? You want them afraid of sex full stop. Sorry fear mongering is not within the public education's curriculum.

This isn't about sex education at all is it? You want them afraid of sex full stop. Sorry fear mongering is not within the public education's curriculum.

If you tell kids there are two negative consequences then negate them you ignore the myriad other consequences. If you want education then fully educate. You seem to be the one focused on fear.

If you tell kids there are two negative consequences then negate them you ignore the myriad other consequences. If you want education then fully educate. You seem to be the one focused on fear.

Who is negating consequences? I advocate we provide information that minimises risk. There is quite a a distinction there.
Myriad of other consequences, like which ones? Psychological impact, social impact... Try not to speak in vague terms.

Who is negating consequences? I advocate we provide information that minimises risk. There is quite a a distinction there.
Myriad of other consequences, like which ones? Psychological impact, social impact... Try not to speak in vague terms.

so its risk now, ok. so any sense of consequence is no good ? does it not occur to you that this trend to separate responsibility from actions is having a rather negative outcome across society ? And yes you propose to note the two most tangible consequences, chronic illness or death from the STDs or pregnancy can be offset by condoms. if you leave it at that, the risk aversion information, you neglect much. for example, those condoms are not infallible. sans responsibility the notion some young people have that geting any number of girl pregnant is a good thing. and girls may not hear that their chances of graduating HS are lowered if impregnated and no degree equates directly to income poten tial.

risk aversion only is a poor choice IMO.

so its risk now, ok.
Now? I believe that has always been the issue.

so any sense of consequence is no[t?] good ? does it not occur to you that this trend to separate responsibility from actions is having a rather negative outcome across society ?
Let me know if I interpreted the typo incorrectly.. A sense of consequence is in fact good given that the sense of consequence is accurate and not exaggerated.

And yes you propose to note the two most tangible consequences, chronic illness or death from the STDs or pregnancy can be offset by condoms. if you leave it at that, the risk aversion information, you neglect much. for example, those condoms are not infallible.
Yes condoms are indeed fallible but that does not means they are not effective.
See 'How Effective are Condoms'
http://www.teenhelp.com/teen-sexuality/condoms.html
98% effective w/ preventing pregnancies
In a 2 yr study they saw no HIV transfer between an infected and non-infected partner.
In MA where condoms are distributed teen pregnancies are far below the national average.
Sex education and condoms do work.

sans responsibility the notion some young people have that geting any number of girl pregnant is a good thing. and girls may not hear that their chances of graduating HS are lowered if impregnated and no degree equates directly to income poten tial.
Tell me if I get this wrong but the typos are making in difficult to read. Young people do not believe getting someone pregnant is a good thing let alone multiple people as they are quite aware of the responsibilities that follow. They aren't aiming to get pregnant at a young age this is demonstrably false in fact a lot of the pregnancies are because of poor education and failure to use condoms and birth control.

risk aversion only is a poor choice IMO.

So you tell them if they dont have sex they wont have to deal w/ pregnancies and STI's? They already know that, they are teenagers not morons and as public educators we should not be involved in telling them how to operate in their personal life.

Now? I believe that has always been the issue.

Let me know if I interpreted the typo incorrectly.. A sense of consequence is in fact good given that the sense of consequence is accurate and not exaggerated.

good to hear. sorry for the typos.

Yes condoms are indeed fallible but that does not means they are not effective.
See 'How Effective are Condoms'
http://www.teenhelp.com/teen-sexuality/condoms.html
98% effective w/ preventing pregnancies
In a 2 yr study they saw no HIV transfer between an infected and non-infected partner.
In MA where condoms are distributed teen pregnancies are far below the national average.
Sex education and condoms do work.

it can work but not as you first described.

T
ell me if I get this wrong but the typos are making in difficult to read. Young people do not believe getting someone pregnant is a good thing let alone multiple people as they are quite aware of the responsibilities that follow. They aren't aiming to get pregnant at a young age this is demonstrably false in fact a lot of the pregnancies are because of poor education and failure to use condoms and birth control.

google and learn you are mistaken. not in ALL cases but I did not claim that.

So you tell them if they dont have sex they wont have to deal w/ pregnancies and STI's? They already know that, they are teenagers not morons and as public educators we should not be involved in telling them how to operate in their personal life.

perhaps you should take this up with legislators as they do not believe it.

my school system has been pushing "core values" for years, not saying its a bad thing but it IS telling them how to operate in their personal lives. responsibility and accountability are two of them.

it can work but not as you first described.

T
Condoms can work but I described them wrong?

google and learn you are mistaken. not in ALL cases but I did not claim that.
How about this? You provide a credible 'teens want to get knocked up in secondary school' study and I will concede the point. I will be shocked and amazed beyond all reason but I will concede the point

perhaps you should take this up with legislators as they do not believe it.

my school system has been pushing "core values" for years, not saying its a bad thing but it IS telling them how to operate in their personal lives. responsibility and accountability are two of them.

Responsibility and accountability are really school related matters as both are important academic matters. Im sure the dont go door to door on a Saturday to find out who acted irresponsibly. Telling them what the can and cannot do within their sex lives is another matter and has no place in the schools.

Condoms can work but I described them wrong?

you stated that they did work, not that they can.

How about this? You provide a credible 'teens want to get knocked up in secondary school' study and I will concede the point. I will be shocked and amazed beyond all reason but I will concede the point

among many others

Responsibility and accountability are really school related matters as both are important academic matters. Im sure the dont go door to door on a Saturday to find out who acted irresponsibly. Telling them what the can and cannot do within their sex lives is another matter and has no place in the schools.

school related matters are reading writing, math, science etc. responsibility and accountability are life principles that apply to everything one does.

Werbung:
you stated that they did work, not that they can.
You are really just playing semantics now... Condoms have worked in the past, continue to work now, and will work in the feature barring some unfathomable revelation.

That is not a study it is a blog post the references the Maury show of all things.

Provide something not so laughable.

school related matters are reading writing, math, science etc. responsibility and accountability are life principles that apply to everything one does.
And they are enforcing it as it applies to school.
Also this doesn't refute what I said...

"Responsibility and accountability are really school related matters..."

I never it was exclusive.

Back