sex ed in schools..should abstinence be taught

Werbung:
If you're going to teach the subject at all then of course you should. best way to avoid any number of bad things. The good news is that its become more popular !

yes, along with the other options...I have never seen a sex ed class that did not say over and over again that it was the only foolproof way...but if you are going to..ect....

The problem is when its the only thing thats taught...I have known some people who went to schools like that...ended up knocked up...why? because they did have sex and where clueless to just even the most basic facts.

I have seen the word abstinence used incorrectly to slam abstinence education numerous times. Usually it takes the form of a straw man claiming that abstinence is about teaching abstinence only then refusing to accept any form of abstinence education at all.

As a case in point, Bristol Palin has a speaking tour in which she tells college students that they should "pause before they play" and the actress Kate Walsh came out in the nastiest of spirits and it ended up with Bristol's speaking engagement being canceled.

I think there was a time when some did try to teach abstinence only but that proposition is so far removed from anything seriously out there today that it is not worth mentioning.

First, sex education has not been proven to change the behaviors or results of teens in any way so we should save the money. Can anyone seriously think that high school kids don't know where and how to get condoms even if their parents don't tell them?

Second we should leave it to the parents and legal guardians.

Third, if we do have sex education classes then we should teach every method out there including condoms, iud's, abstinence, and Natural Family Planning among the others. We should also honestly talk about the pros and cons of each. Will there ever be an honest discussion of each in a public school? Then maybe we should not do it in public school.

Abstinence only programs have proved to be extremely counterproductive . They do not decrease teenage pregnancy rates or incidence of STDs among young people in school . Kids should not be encourages to have irresponsible sex , but just telling them not to doesn't work,either .

Saying "don't do it" is not education. Teaching them about contraception, condoms, and the risks of STI's is necessary. As for the sexual behaviour leave it up to the parent to police that how they see fit.

Of course you teach abstinence. You just don't teach abstinence only, and you don't try to teach kids BS. They have very sensitive BS detectors after all.

yes, along with the other options...I have never seen a sex ed class that did not say over and over again that it was the only foolproof way...but if you are going to..ect....

The problem is when its the only thing thats taught...I have known some people who went to schools like that...ended up knocked up...why? because they did have sex and where clueless to just even the most basic facts.
It takes a special kind of dumb to not be aware of at least several kinds of methods to avoid pregnancy in this culture. I find it hard to believe that any student old enough to appropriately be having sex could not be aware of methods of birth control.

IF some school did teach abstinence ONLY the kids would know other methods anyway. We need to be teachikng our kids that abstinece is not only one way to avoid pregnancy and sti's but that it is the most effective way and lastly that it is the best way.

Other methods of birth control and disease prevention at their best lead to levels of pregnancy and sti's that can only be described as epidemic. It is a crime for all adults to not tell kids that it is foolish and irresponsible to be having sex even with condoms. Some will do it anyway but we have to at least tell them what is best and expected.

So when did things work best? Well the last time we had lower rates of pregnancy and sti's was in the 40's. Surely by now we could take what was best about the 40's and combine it with our "more enlightened" knowledge and attitudes of today.

Oh by the way, your two statements are in contradiction to each other.

In the first paragraph you say that you are unaware of any school that taught abstinance only and in the second you say that you personally know people who went to schools that taught absinance only (and that they were some of the stupidest people on the planet.)

Abstinence only programs have proved to be extremely counterproductive . They do not decrease teenage pregnancy rates or incidence of STDs among young people in school . Kids should not be encourages to have irresponsible sex , but just telling them not to doesn't work,either .

JUST telling them not to would not work. Is anyone really advocating that approach?

Telling them strongly as part of a larger education program would be best. In fact the thrust of a program for kids should be that abstinance is best.

Saying "don't do it" is not education. Teaching them about contraception, condoms, and the risks of STI's is necessary. As for the sexual behaviour leave it up to the parent to police that how they see fit.

If the school tells the kids about condoms and creams etc but does not say they should avoid the sexual behaviors then it is in effect promoting sexual activity.

If we leave discussions about what kind of behavior is best up to the parents then we should leave discussions about methods up to the parents as well. As soon as schools teach about methods then it needs to include abstinance and instruction about attitudes - most most important one being that it is ok and expected for kids to avoid having sex.

Of course you teach abstinence. You just don't teach abstinence only, and you don't try to teach kids BS. They have very sensitive BS detectors after all.
I really fail to unsderstand why this keeps being a discussion about abstinence only. The OP was not about abstinence only and virtually no one in this country is advocating abstinence only.

Interestingly enough I found a planned parenthood site discussing this toipic. Almost all of the references go back to 2000 or older. One of them refers to inaccuracies taught about contraceptives in an abstinence only course. Wait!! If an abstinecne only course is teaching about contraceptives then it is not really an abstinence only course is it?

Werbung:
If the school tells the kids about condoms and creams etc but does not say they should avoid the sexual behaviors then it is in effect promoting sexual activity.
Care to back up this assertion?

If we leave discussions about what kind of behavior is best up to the parents then we should leave discussions about methods up to the parents as well.
Certainly not the community has a vested interest in healthy sex practices, ignorance on this matter could lead to deaths of many. Ill be damned if the theological beliefs lead to a spread of STI's. It is negligent not to inform them of safe sex practices.

As soon as schools teach about methods then it needs to include abstinance and instruction about attitudes - most most important one being that it is ok and expected for kids to avoid having sex.
The state should not be involved with establishing 'attitudes' public education is for educating not conditioning with opinions.

Back