FRONTLINE!!!

Germany's White-Trash Within
July 30, 2024
"The rise of far-right extremism in modern-day Germany."
July 17, 2017 - "Here’s where the whole populism and nationalism thing came from,” Steve Bannon told me. It was February, and he was sitting in his White House office in a chair pushed against the wall, with a dry-erase board opposite him listing all the promises that just-inaugurated President Trump was going to carry out (“drain the swamp,” etc.). But first, Bannon wanted to explain the ideas that drove Trumps shocking upset, to put that victory into a broader context. With Bannon, everything is always about something much bigger.

Trumps rise was, he said, transformative for America. But it was only one manifestation of a powerful global undercurrent. “That’s why,” he said, “you see a nationalist movement in Egypt, India, the Philippines, in South Korea, and now Abe in Japan. I’d say Putin and Xi in China are nationalists. Look at Le Pen in France, Orban in Hungary, and the nationalists in Poland.” Trump was, of course, the most consequential: “Look, I’ve been studying this for a while, and it’s amazing that Trump has been talking about these ideas for 25 years.”
1_yJD0_AW_c2b8jURGtBOUtw[1].webp

Last edited:
Werbung:
Werbung:
Back