1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

If clergy were honest, would religions die?

Discussion in 'Culture & Religion' started by Gnostic Christian Bishop, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Gnostic Christian Bishop

Gnostic Christian Bishop Active Member

Many of the older Gnostic religions, like all religions of those early days were bizarre, especially given that we were arguing against the myths of others with our own. That was when everyone knew it was all myth and before literal reading of myths was began by Christianity.

That is why even today many think we have a supernatural content to our real beliefs when we do not. Unfortunately, the old description and designation of the word God, which could apply to a man, has almost been forgotten.

Perhaps I can look at which policy you refer to as bizarre and give you the modern view.

Before you ask, ---- if this was one of the issues, ---- no we do not hate matter as matter and our bodies houses the kingdom of God and the only God you can ever know. The one who resides within you.

Regards
    DL

2. Gnostic Christian Bishop

U C 20/20 on this.

I think that that particular preachers work was good but it could not overcome the love to hate the other tribal attitude that his congregation had. This poem speaks to that a bit.

"Whoever imagines himself a favorite with God,
    holds other people in contempt.
    Whenever a man believes that he has the exact truth from God,
    there is in that man no spirit of compromise.
    He has not the modesty born of the imperfections of human nature;
    he has the arrogance of theological certainty and the tyranny born of ignorant assurance.
    Believing himself to be the slave of God,
    he imitates his master,
    and of all tyrants,
    the worst is a slave in power."
    --Robert Ingersoll

Regards
    DL

3. Gnostic Christian Bishop

Openmind likes this.
  4. Gnostic Christian Bishop

Anecdotal rendering are always interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Stress and or major life changes seem to trigger our subconscious to help us. I was in a time of rather major transition when I had my two telepathic experiences. If I did not have a witness I would have chalked it up to a mind burp and would not believe in the reality of telepathy today.

You might like to listen to this link that speaks of some of the aspects that none of us are immune from.

Regards
    DL

Openmind likes this.
  5. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Well-Known Member

....seeded bread!!! I'm pretty sure this has no modern equivalent except in perhaps some very weird corners of Amsterdam..;)

6. Aus22

Aus22 Well-Known Member

I belong to a major church. Like Openmind I had encounters which can not be explain. I think they come from God. Most people are spiritual not religious
    Gnostic Bishop does not understand main stream religions. We do not think if we belong we will go to Heaven. Nor do we believe many will go to Hell. But we accept we will suffer as Christ did. At the moment in my country we are suffering persecution because we constantly attack in the media,. But we expect this as we are told to take up our cross.

7. The Scotsman

I wouldn't bet too much on that statement if I were you!
    If it wasn't for gnosticism you probably wouldn't have "main stream" religion.

As "spiritualists" do you understand "hell" as a physical location or a philosophical concept like suffering or a state of being like evil for example?
    I guess you could apply the same rationale to "heaven" if creation was ex nihilo then how do you, presumably as a spiritualist, perceive heaven and indeed hell in terms of main stream religion?

8. Gnostic Christian Bishop

I just had a bagel with seeds on it.

Eating habits change over time so I do not see the problem.

Regards
    DL

9. Gnostic Christian Bishop

An attack with words is hardly persecution.

I like that you follow Jesus and wish to pick up your cross and follow his lead.

How do you square that with Christians placing their cross on Jesus and trying to ride him into heaven as their scapegoat?

You might recognize that that view is what this bishop says will kill Christianity. I think he is right for the simple reason that the Christian view of having another innocent person suffer for the wrongs they have done, --- so that they might escape responsibility for having done them, --- is immoral.

Regards
    DL

10. The Scotsman

I don't think you would like the manichean seeded bread!! Its to do with spreading "light" and what the "electors" did to make the bread....:eek:

11. Gnostic Christian Bishop

This is just a guess.

It sounds like they were using an analogy for bread as our minds and the seed as ideas . Light, in this case, would be used the same way these scriptures us it.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Gnostic Christians are esoteric ecumenists and often use that type of language just as Jesus did or the scribes that put those words into Jesus' mouth.

The electors in your quote would have been anyone in the congregation because anyone could act as priest and speak of what they thought was illuminating from their personal knowledge or deeper Gnosis.

Regards
    DL

12. The Scotsman

I've PMed you it's not for public consumption... so to speak.

13. Openmind

Openmind Well-Known Member

Actually, it isn't bad! It is just a bread that is made from a dough originating from an original "seed" (natural yeast is used as leavening) which then double (or triple) daily and basically never runs out. One of my former neighbours started a "sharing" a few years ago, and several of us received that "seed," made our bread, and passed the multiplied "seed" along to other neighbours. In the modern form, you can add different fragrance to the dough before you bake it (i.e., sesame seeds, lemon, raisins, etc. . .).

14. The Scotsman

:)...I seriously doubt you want to know what I'm talking about....:eek:

15. Openmind

Openmind Well-Known Member

If you say so. . .