For you, are evolution and Christianity at odds ?

dogtowner

Staff member
For me, its a no.

does that mean I think Noah and the rest are silliness ? No. am I hung up on chronological math ? not one bit

and those God days way back when need not be 24 hours each. could be a second or a year or a billion years. We don't know how it is relative to God. nor do I care.

and horror of horrors, I think chi is a manifestation of God who like Elvis, is everywhere and in everything.

so, am I going to heck or not ?

care to share your views ?

Werbung:
This is a fun question and another subject where I just scratch my head at most mainstream Christian’s who hold to a 6 literal day creation

from Genesis chapter 1

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning —the first day.

So on the first day before he actually makes the sun and the moon he creates light and dark, day and night.

Land and sea and fruit trees and vegetation are on the third day

The sun and the moon and the universe and stars on the 4th day

Now I ask you how could the first three days be judged as literal 24 hour days without the creation of the moon and the sun on the 4th day? We base a 24 hour period on the moon and the sun that would not have been created yet.

The 5th day was the creation of all the various animals exc. And of course man and woman both were created on the 6th day.

But how much had to happen on the 6th day when you read the book of genesis? Adam is created from the dust of the earth. He is shown every animal and he gives them a name, he is alone long enough to come to the realization that there is no mate for him like he saw with the animals He is lonely and then has a conversation with God and then he is put into a deep sleep and eve is created using part of him. I think for most people it would take more than a literal 24 hour period to name all the animals and have enough time alone to come to the realization that you were lonely and wanted a mate too. So to try and force creation into a literal earth like 6 days is just silly to me and makes it easy for a non-believer to dismiss the whole thing based on this one really stupid bit of reasoning.

As for the universe, even the atheist scientist admits that our universe is expanding and always has been. But its scripture in several places that talks about that concept long before anyone talked about it.

Job 9:8 He alone stretches out the heavens and treads on the waves of the sea.

Zechariah 12:1 This is the word of the LORD concerning Israel. The LORD, who stretches out the heavens, who lays the foundation of the earth, and who forms the spirit of man within him, declares:

Isaiah 51:13 that you forget the LORD your Maker, who stretched out the heavens and laid the foundations of the earth, that you live in constant terror every day because of the wrath of the oppressor, who is bent on destruction? For where is the wrath of the oppressor?

Jeremiah 10:12 But God made the earth by his power; he founded the world by his wisdom and stretched out the heavens by his understanding.

I think some like to look at the universe and say the earth must be billions and billions of years old based on the expansion of the universe but I believe the earth is probably much younger than they think because they are not taking into consideration that the universe has been expanding for all this time and started out from day one being stretched who even knows how far.

Though I do think God could create the entire world & universe in one second if he chose to do so.

It just doesn’t look like he did.

I liken things like this to asking a person blind from birth to describe blue. even if God reveals thngs to you directly (ala John), if he's showing you Hiroshima and the worst you've seen is throwing a rock at something, how do you describe it ? maybe its best to let the Holy Spirit reveal the truth as you become capable of compreneding it.

the argument is that if its in the Bible then its god's truth and I get that. trouble is are we capable of comprehending truth at any given point in time ? maybe not. I don't fault those who feel this way as I think its better than just saying its all crap and tossing it out of hand.

I love this Yes song title by way of illustration (from Tales from Topographic Oceans)
"The Revealing Science of God" always seemed to sum it up for me..
God is perfect but all of us are works in process and boy is it a slow process.

For me, its a no.

does that mean I think Noah and the rest are silliness ? No. am I hung up on chronological math ? not one bit

and those God days way back when need not be 24 hours each. could be a second or a year or a billion years. We don't know how it is relative to God. nor do I care.

and horror of horrors, I think chi is a manifestation of God who like Elvis, is everywhere and in everything.

ONE second is of a thousand years to GOD....

ONE second is of a thousand years to GOD....

I think you mean a day is like a thousand years.

2 Peter 3:8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

Psalm 904 A thousand years in your sight
are like a day that has just gone by,
or like a watch in the night.

I think you mean a day is like a thousand years.

2 Peter 3:8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

Psalm 904 A thousand years in your sight
are like a day that has just gone by,
or like a watch in the night.
Thank you...Boy that's a big one...lol

This is a fun question and another subject where I just scratch my head at most mainstream Christian’s who hold to a 6 literal day creation

I agree with you, and most Christians I've talked to about this agree too.

are you any certian denomination?

I was baptised a Baptist, and married by a Baptist minister, but I'm all over the place now. I've gone to several churches of different denominations including the Catholic church but never found one that exactly fits me.

I was baptised a Baptist, and married by a Baptist minister, but I'm all over the place now. I've gone to several churches of different denominations including the Catholic church but never found one that exactly fits me.
I think all over the place is a healthy place to be since no one group has nailed the truth :)

For me, its a no.

Interesting question.

The biblical literalist will say that all of the stories in the Bible are to be taken as historical accurate fact.
and, further, that the passage about a day being like a thousand years means that creation took about six thousand years.

From that, comes all sorts of nonsense.

Most of the modern Christian denominations have no problem with evolution, and don't buy into the young earth creationism silliness. I agree with them.

Now, if someone wants to argue that god had a hand in the process of evolution, then I'll listen. That is speculation, of course, but still at least plausible.

Werbung:
Interesting question.

The biblical literalist will say that all of the stories in the Bible are to be taken as historical accurate fact.
and, further, that the passage about a day being like a thousand years means that creation took about six thousand years.

From that, comes all sorts of nonsense.

Most of the modern Christian denominations have no problem with evolution, and don't buy into the young earth creationism silliness. I agree with them.

Now, if someone wants to argue that god had a hand in the process of evolution, then I'll listen. That is speculation, of course, but still at least plausible.

If there is evolution then of course God is behind it. I see it as just another facet of Intelligent Design. it is a handy way to accomplish some things.

I'm not so sure about your first sentence. There are a LOAD of small yet distinct evangelical sects out there. I think in overall numbers of individuals you are most likely right .

Back