Does human life begin at conception?

At conception what you have is a living cell, just as a cancer cell or a bacterium is a living cell. Destroying it is not substantially different from clipping your fingernails.

We don't agree - and that is fine. I noted, and am happy to stand by, supporting efforts to limit abortion.

That said - when do you think life begins?

Werbung:
We don't agree - and that is fine. I noted, and am happy to stand by, supporting efforts to limit abortion.

That said - when do you think life begins?
You quoted me. I said in that quote that the fertilized egg is a living cell.

So at what point does it become unacceptable to kill?
There is no hard and fast metric. It's a subjective question, but it should be based on biology and fact, --not emotion, religion, or party position. And in my estimation it should be determined by an understanding of the point at which the fetus is capable of feeling pain except in cases of health risk to the mother or the discovery of serious developmental problems of the fetus that guarantee it a short life of great pain and suffering. (I extend this principle to individual choice to end one's own life via physician-assisted suicide.) And I believe the point at which the fetus is capable of feeling pain occurs at about the 20-24th week. So personally I would oppose elective abortion from week 20 onward with the exceptions I cited. And my understanding of Roe v. Wade is that this is essentially the law today.

Anyone who believes it is not at conception really has no clue as to biology, or even what life is:

http://www.pbs.org/program/nine-months-that-made-you/
The word "life" is used in several different ways. We are looking for "life" on other planets. Bacteria, mostly. A fertilized egg or plant seed has "life". I have had a good "life" while my body has "life".

So yes, a fertilized egg has life. But is it a living human being? No. Not yet.

The word "life" is used in several different ways. We are looking for "life" on other planets. Bacteria, mostly. A fertilized egg or plant seed has "life". I have had a good "life" while my body has "life".

But the dna to become a unique one has formed.

So what? Are you suggesting that we need to protect DNA? There's DNA in hair, fingernails, saliva, skin, etc. So DNA isn't a determinant of anything in this conversation.
It determines that:
It can only become a human
It will be unique
And yes dna is in every cell because it must be. That's how it works.

It determines that:
It can only become a human
It will be unique
And yes dna is in every cell because it must be. That's how it works.
Yup. "become".

Yup. "will be".

But "isn't." That's the point that makes a right to abortion sensible and legal.

Werbung:

Not the point although I believe that those who wish to cheapen life to serve their own agenda will never accept the reality of the beginnings of life. If they were tro do so then they could not describe the babe in the womb as a "parasite", or some form of invading force on the mothers body.

However, while you can construe the definition of "life" in any manner you want to, the reality is that growth is "life", and the body begins to grow at conception. "Life" for the human that is being formed in the womb does not begin at birth, that is simply the end of one stage, and the beginning of another. And throughout the whole process cells grow, die, and are replaced by more growth.

Back