Are you willing to eat genetically modified food?

Werbung:
We've been genetically modifying foods for thousands of years.

But I would hope that openness is observed so the consumer can know what is being modified and for what purpose and therefore make a more informed decision to consume or not consume the product.

we have all been doing it for centuries

I suppose that if you equate selective breeding with genetic engineering, then we have been eating it for centuries, but selective breeding bears the same relationship to genetic engineering as hot water does to napalm.

All the selective breeding in the world won't allow a fish gene to be in a strawberry plant. There are very serious questions about the safety of genetically modified foods. Much of the research I have read showing how safe it is harks back to the battle over irradiation of foods with nuclear waste. Over and over again the people saying it was safe said that there was no radiation left in the food and therefore it was safe to eat. What they refused to address is the real problem of radiolytic byproducts produced by the process of irradiating the food. There are literally hundreds of studies showing that radiolytic byproducts are poisonous to people and animals.

We need far more long-term research before we legalize genetically modified foods--plant or animal.

We have been eating genetically modified foods since the 1990's when they were first put on the market. By some estimates as many as 30,000 genetically modified products are for sale on the shelves today. For example, over half of the soy products available in the US are from genetically modified soybean plants.

Some Canadian honey is collected from bees that are collecting pollen from genetically modified canola plants. A goodly part of the US tomato crop is genetically modified and something less than half of the tomato seeds sold in places like walmart, lowes, and home depot are from genetically modified plants.

A great deal of corn and corn products (corn oil, flour, corn sugar, corn syrup, etc.) in the US is genetically modified. Chances are that the sweet corn you eat has been genetically modified to produce its own insecticide. About half of the sweet corn grown in the US is genetically modified.

A fair percentage of the US potato crop is genetically modified. The first virus resistant papayas were commercially grown in Hawaii in 1999. Transgenic papayas now cover about one thousand hectares, or three quarters of the total Hawaiian papaya crop.

If you like zucchini and yellow crookneck squash, there is a better than midland chance that the ones you are eating were gentetically modified.

If you eat meat, rest assured that it was fed with genetically modified feed.

Most vegetable oils in the US are made from or contain genetically modified corn, canola, soy, or cottonseed oil.

The question isn't whether you would eat them or not, but how much have you already eaten and are you suffering any ill effects from it. Personally, I am not.

If you are the worrying sort, here is a link to a booklet that will name some brands that do and do not contain genetically modified products. It isn't very long and not particularly comprehensive, but if you are prone, it might give you cause to check your lymph nodes.

http://truefoodnow.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/web_new-ge-booklet.pdf

We have been eating genetically modified foods since the 1990's when they were first put on the market. By some estimates as many as 30,000 genetically modified products are for sale on the shelves today. For example, over half of the soy products available in the US are from genetically modified soybean plants.

Some Canadian honey is collected from bees that are collecting pollen from genetically modified canola plants. A goodly part of the US tomato crop is genetically modified and something less than half of the tomato seeds sold in places like walmart, lowes, and home depot are from genetically modified plants.

A great deal of corn and corn products (corn oil, flour, corn sugar, corn syrup, etc.) in the US is genetically modified. Chances are that the sweet corn you eat has been genetically modified to produce its own insecticide. About half of the sweet corn grown in the US is genetically modified.

A fair percentage of the US potato crop is genetically modified. The first virus resistant papayas were commercially grown in Hawaii in 1999. Transgenic papayas now cover about one thousand hectares, or three quarters of the total Hawaiian papaya crop.

If you like zucchini and yellow crookneck squash, there is a better than midland chance that the ones you are eating were gentetically modified.

If you eat meat, rest assured that it was fed with genetically modified feed.

Most vegetable oils in the US are made from or contain genetically modified corn, canola, soy, or cottonseed oil.

The question isn't whether you would eat them or not, but how much have you already eaten and are you suffering any ill effects from it. Personally, I am not.

If you are the worrying sort, here is a link to a booklet that will name some brands that do and do not contain genetically modified products. It isn't very long and not particularly comprehensive, but if you are prone, it might give you cause to check your lymph nodes.

http://truefoodnow.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/web_new-ge-booklet.pdf

All true unfortunately, but 20 years isn't enough time to tell if the stuff is poison, one can smoke cigarettes for a lot more than 20 years before getting mouth, lung, throat, or tongue cancer. The public is being experimented on by the purveyors of genetically modified foods.

This type of post would generally be considered spam, but because there seems to be some interest in discussion on this site I will let it stay.
Back on topic:
I guess it depends on the definition of genetically modified. In the modern sense, I am not thrilled with the idea, I am somewhat ignorant to the specifics and its use in already processed foods and in that case we are consuming them widespread without specifically knowing that.
On a personal note, dont get me wrong, I love pizza and wings and while I am generally picky when it comes to fast food burgers or mainstream chain ethnic food. The majority of the protien I consume comes from wild natural sources through fish and game, there are times when in modern America I dont think it can be realistically avoided.

All true unfortunately, but 20 years isn't enough time to tell if the stuff is poison, one can smoke cigarettes for a lot more than 20 years before getting mouth, lung, throat, or tongue cancer. The public is being experimented on by the purveyors of genetically modified foods.
The intent of the purveyors of genetically modified foods is not to experiment. The intent is to increase profits. Also, there is no evidence that genetically modified foods cause any disease let alone cancer.

This type of post would generally be considered spam, but because there seems to be some interest in discussion on this site I will let it stay.
Back on topic:
I guess it depends on the definition of genetically modified. In the modern sense, I am not thrilled with the idea, I am somewhat ignorant to the specifics and its use in already processed foods and in that case we are consuming them widespread without specifically knowing that.
On a personal note, dont get me wrong, I love pizza and wings and while I am generally picky when it comes to fast food burgers or mainstream chain ethnic food. The majority of the protien I consume comes from wild natural sources through fish and game, there are times when in modern America I dont think it can be realistically avoided.

To what post do you refer, please?

The intent of the purveyors of genetically modified foods is not to experiment. The intent is to increase profits. Also, there is no evidence that genetically modified foods cause any disease let alone cancer.

Yes, of course you are correct, they are experimenting while in the process of making money. As yet we are not in a position to prove or disprove the poisonous value of genetically modified foods--that's the point. How many people died of cancer from cigarettes before we had dead-certain proof? Thalidomide was another hastily marketed product that had not been adequately tested and we ended up with hundreds of thousands of thalidomide babies with terrible deformities. Experimenting on the public should not be legal.

Yes, of course you are correct, they are experimenting while in the process of making money. As yet we are not in a position to prove or disprove the poisonous value of genetically modified foods--that's the point. How many people died of cancer from cigarettes before we had dead-certain proof? Thalidomide was another hastily marketed product that had not been adequately tested and we ended up with hundreds of thousands of thalidomide babies with terrible deformities. Experimenting on the public should not be legal.
New anti-AIDS drugs appearing on the market with increasing frequency. Should they be with held from AIDS sufferers until there has been a 30 year test to see if they are carcinogens? Or, should they go ahead and test on the patients?

New anti-AIDS drugs appearing on the market with increasing frequency. Should they be with held from AIDS sufferers until there has been a 30 year test to see if they are carcinogens? Or, should they go ahead and test on the patients?

You are mixing two different issues.

Werbung:
Two different issues with the same core logic.

Not at all, AIDS drugs are intended to cure or alleviate suffering from the disease, without them the person will surely die.

Genetically modified food products are an artificial construct used to make money and have no intrinsic value--as can be proven by the fact that mankind has lived hundreds of thousands of years in excellent heath without GM foods. GM foods are an experiment with the intent of making money rather than with the intent of reducing suffering.

Back