Anti Wall st Protests

Dogtowner - have you read The Spirit Level?

You probably haven't. It is the work of a couple of people from Cambridge Univeristy and it gathers punlic domain data on all of those indeces of citizen well being

Drug abuse
Alcohol abuse
Prison population
Recidivism
Mental Health
Suicide
Stress and Anxiety

etc

It then plots these against the distribution of wealth in all of the countries in the western world and what comes out is this

The actual wealth of your nation is much less important to citizen wellbeing than the distribution of the wealth

So rich countries like Japan that are wealthy but quite equal have much happier and healthier citizens than the US which is welathy but very unequal

Sweden is ralatively poor but still very happy because there is great equality wheras poor Portugal's citizens fare really badly and the wealth is very unequally spread

The book is very sober and very testable - read it and see if you can fault it

I couldn't.

The US is the worst country in the western world for inequality and for citizen well being

But then a walk down the streets of Baltimore would tell you that

Just curious, what is your vocation and how much do you think you should be paid?

Werbung:
can't speak for the folks in Oz but in following the reporting here they got into wanting money very early on.

I'm not following, you seem to suggest that your lovely country is doing pretty well but have the normal distribution of wealth. sounds like S.Korea who the authors of the study Daw referenced omitted from their research as it defied the results they sought.

back in the day did you and fellow protestors seek to squat indefinitely ? unless you folks were markedly different than here (yeah I remember those days well too) that was just not the case. moreover If you were like here the message was clear and concise. thats hardly been the case with OWS here.
Australia does not have the problems of Europe or the USA. We not in recession partly because China iis still buying our minerals. However we are still effected by the GFC . If it continues it might effect us and China as well.
What we need to defeat theGFC is the same as we needed in the 1960s. The protest mvement than was not just about the Vietnam war but aim at changing society. It involve rock concerts, ant Apaithtard demostrations, Civil rights protests and a movement to make us more tolerent of others,

The message this time is also complex. If we are to find a remedy for the Financial crisis it must wider than just economic changes. We miust reduce the gap between the poor and the rich. Greed should not be the main motivator. This requires a revolutionary change like the 1960s.

In the 1960 during the anti Vietnam war march we did not squat but in other protest we did, For example the protest at the rugby games with South Africa, We have to use what methods work. If the protestors do not sleep in the parks, the Police will remove them as they did with our protest in the City Square. Australian police were one of the most brutal attacks. Melbourne has hundreds of parks and garden, surely a small part could be set aside for protestors like in Hyde Park in London.

Australia does not have the problems of Europe or the USA. We not in recession partly because China iis still buying our minerals. However we are still effected by the GFC . If it continues it might effect us and China as well.
What we need to defeat theGFC is the same as we needed in the 1960s. The protest mvement than was not just about the Vietnam war but aim at changing society. It involve rock concerts, ant Apaithtard demostrations, Civil rights protests and a movement to make us more tolerent of others,

The message this time is also complex. If we are to find a remedy for the Financial crisis it must wider than just economic changes. We miust reduce the gap between the poor and the rich. Greed should not be the main motivator. This requires a revolutionary change like the 1960s.

In the 1960 during the anti Vietnam war march we did not squat but in other protest we did, For example the protest at the rugby games with South Africa, We have to use what methods work. If the protestors do not sleep in the parks, the Police will remove them as they did with our protest in the City Square. Australian police were one of the most brutal attacks. Melbourne has hundreds of parks and garden, surely a small part could be set aside for protestors like in Hyde Park in London.

well good luck to ya but I'd not bet the ranch on it. the world kind of likes it the way it is.

I got a prediction. One of these days when a protester pulls out a weapon the officer will pull out his gun and shoot tyhe protester the DA will stand behind the officer. Remember Kent State?
1970_kent_state_shooting.jpg

The Army has every right to kill you for any reason if they feel threaten. Even the Army gate guard if you drive to the base and he tells you youre not authorized to enter the base and if you drive though he can pull out his gun and shoot you.

I got a prediction. One of these days when a protester pulls out a weapon the officer will pull out his gun and shoot tyhe protester the DA will stand behind the officer. Remember Kent State?
1970_kent_state_shooting.jpg

The Army has every right to kill you for any reason if they feel threaten. Even the Army gate guard if you drive to the base and he tells you youre not authorized to enter the base and if you drive though he can pull out his gun and shoot you.

delve far enough into the reported facts and tou will find that "the protestor(s)" (aka KGB) did initiate things. say what you will but the KGB were masterful at getting bang for the rupel.

Alias, I think I should be paid a decent living wage

I actually make significantly more than that although what i do for a living is utterly worthless

But that is the irony of it all

The less important what you do is the more you get paid for it

The really important jobs like nursing and teaching and manufacturing earn you relatively modest wages

Bankers are the ultimate example

They make nothing and they take nearly everything and anyone who supports them is either a banker or a half wit

Alias, I think I should be paid a decent living wage

I actually make significantly more than that although what i do for a living is utterly worthless

But that is the irony of it all

The less important what you do is the more you get paid for it

The really important jobs like nursing and teaching and manufacturing earn you relatively modest wages

Bankers are the ultimate example

They make nothing and they take nearly everything and anyone who supports them is either a banker or a half wit

Who should determine what your wage should be? Should there be a Govt panel who would determine wages for every job so that everything is "fair"?

The minimum wage should be set at a rate which allows someone a dignified life in the area in which they work

I realise that to Christian Americans this is an abhorrent concept

delve far enough into the reported facts and youou will find that "the protestor(s)" (aka KGB) did initiate things. say what you will but the KGB were masterful at getting bang for the rupel.
Dogtower, There are powerful interest oppose to change, However with the GFC and the failure of many banks and companies things might change, Surely most people can see the injustice of rewarding a director who sends his company bankrupt. There have even been similar protest In Russia so it is nt a KGB plot.
Steveox, It is true that violence could be the result of these protests. However In Australia and most of Europe the protestors are unarmed, only the police have guns, There have been brutal attempts to break up these protests in Australia but no resort to violence by the protestors who are mainly students

Dogtower, There are powerful interest oppose to change, However with the GFC and the failure of many banks and companies things might change, Surely most people can see the injustice of rewarding a director who sends his company bankrupt. There have even been similar protest In Russia so it is nt a KGB plot.
Steveox, It is true that violence could be the result of these protests. However In Australia and most of Europe the protestors are unarmed, only the police have guns, There have been brutal attempts to break up these protests in Australia but no resort to violence by the protestors who are mainly students
The minimum wage should be set at a rate which allows someone a dignified life in the area in which they work

I realise that to Christian Americans this is an abhorrent concept
Dawkins rocks. Not all Christians oppose justice for the poor. The Anti Wall st protests in London were on the grounds of St Pauls . In Australia many churches support the Anti Wall st protests even allowing protestors on church land. Are American Christians different?

Dawkins rocks. Not all Christians oppose justice for the poor. The Anti Wall st protests in London were on the grounds of St Pauls . In Australia many churches support the Anti Wall st protests even allowing protestors on church land. Are American Christians different?

nope, same program here. one church in NYC even had its guests helping themselves to church property. lets hope that your folks are better mannered than this.

Alias, The Minimum wage is set by a court In Australia. However Directors fees are not,

Werbung:
Anyone who read The ragged trousered philanthropists would know how easy it is to get the poor opposing change theny would benefit from

Like free healthcare a decent minimum wage

Back