Will the demand for higher education mean an end for religion

Werbung:
I too think not.

I don't see why more people going to college would mean an end for religion.

Many colleges were founded for religious reasons. There are still religious colleges. There is no conflict between getting a higher education and being religious.

There is however an abundance of non-religious professors at colleges who are teaching their world view to their students. I don't know that the teaching is "sticking" but the church could do a better job of teaching a deeper, more intellectual understanding of religion that would not only "vaccinate" young students as they go off to college but would enable them to do a better outreach while they are there.

Nobull, what do you think the vectors are and how do you think they could play out?

I too think not.

I don't see why more people going to college would mean an end for religion.

Many colleges were founded for religious reasons. There are still religious colleges. There is no conflict between getting a higher education and being religious.

There is however an abundance of non-religious professors at colleges who are teaching their world view to their students. I don't know that the teaching is "sticking" but the church could do a better job of teaching a deeper, more intellectual understanding of religion that would not only "vaccinate" young students as they go off to college but would enable them to do a better outreach while they are there.

Nobull, what do you think the vectors are and how do you think they could play out?

IMO Science is the means to understand what was created and to define in human terms, the relationship of all things present in the universe to themselves and to us. Science is an excellent way learn how creation works.

For centuries, many of our greatest achievers in the sciences have believed in a higher or supreme being and a purposeful, "intelligent design," as the blueprint for the existence of everything.

Consider this list, as each of them fit the above description. In fact some of them were deeply religious and highly involved in practicing religion:

Nicholas Copernicus, Francis Bacon, Johannes Kepler, Galileo Galilei, Rene Descartes, Isaac Newton, Robert Boyl, Michael Faraday, Gregor Mendel, William Thomson Kelvin, Max Planck and Albert Einstein.

All of these people are considered fathers of modern science. Their work includes discoveries and advances in chemistry, astronomy, physics, mathematics, biology, electro-magnetism, genetics, medicine, philosophy and more.

Here is a quote from a very educated and accomplished professional:

"I find it quite improbable that such order came out of chaos. There has to be some organizing principle. God to me is a mystery but is the explanation for the miracle of existence, why there is something instead of nothing." - Allan Sandage, prominent cosmologist

In fact, Albert Einstein himself denounced a "non-created" universe and absolutely denied atheism. He also said, "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

If we need an atheist for a debate, I go to the philosophy department. The physics department isn't much use. - Robert Griffiths, physicist and winner of the Dannie Heineman Prize for Mathematical Physics

Higher education is key to leading people to the ultimate conclusion, that all we see and observe was created by purpose, not chance. This understanding is a driver for the well-educated to join or support a religious movement or practice. If it were not, we would not find religious believers among these scientific ranks.

Best Regards
Doug

You know I am going to get hammered for saying that science is on my side.But I believe it and thats all that matters! This thread just got busy my friend.

I

You know I am going to get hammered for saying that science is on my side.But I believe it and thats all that matters! This thread just got busy my friend.

I would not go so far as to say that science is "on the side" of religious thinking. But there is no inconsistency between religious thinking at its best and scientific thinking at its best. The problems arise when people are not thinking at their best.

I would not go so far as to say that science is "on the side" of religious thinking. But there is no inconsistency between religious thinking at its best and scientific thinking at its best. The problems arise when people are not thinking at their best.

I like you...always right on...Thanks

I echo Doug's sentiment. Will this demand for high education mean an end for people having children and Fox News?

I echo Doug's sentiment. Will this demand for high education mean an end for people having children and Fox News?

Higher education seems completely unrelated to the ability to make good judgments about politics. So even if watching Fox were poor judgment it would make no difference.

But college professors are hugely biased to the left. Would they influence students to not watch Fox. Or would their be a backlash and more would watch Fox?

Having children? Statistically higher educated folks have less children. But the reduction is more than made up for by other folks who have no restraints at all on the number of children they have. Iknow I did not pick the best words there, it looks like I think having children is a bad thing or that who has them is good or bad. Having children is not bad for society in general and I don't care who has them as long as they can support them.

College Professors are not bias to the left. That statement makes no logical sense because college professors are just individuals with personal opinions. Intelligent and empathetic people tend to be liberal and those characteristics are common in teachers. Fox News is a propaganda post. They use obvious, documented methods to mislead stupid people. You know this is true. Dont support a turd just because its not in your lawn.

jay mack..That was funny..you know they say Sampson killed 3000 Philistines with the Jawbone of and azz. And here you demonstrate the use of precisely the same weapon.

regards
doug
that was funny too...

Werbung:
College Professors are not bias to the left. That statement makes no logical sense because college professors are just individuals with personal opinions. Intelligent and empathetic people tend to be liberal and those characteristics are common in teachers. Fox News is a propaganda post. They use obvious, documented methods to mislead stupid people. You know this is true. Dont support a turd just because its not in your lawn.

Jeez my friend..that was funny too..But anyone who told you to be yourself..could not have given you any worse advise..

doug

I love this...They use obvious, documented methods to mislead stupid people. You know this is true. Dont support a turd just because its not in your lawn.

Back