Wal-Mart employees should be thankful they have a job

So when I said people would find other jobs you decided that that meant people would just up and quit on a moments notice without any planning whatsoever?

My example is based on my experiences and I quit jobs several times in order to move to better jobs. Each and every single time I had the next job lined up before quitting the first. Based on my experiences those of other people I know smart people, while they are working at walmart in the entry level job, spend time at community college, or beauty school learning the skills they need to get that better job. People who are not so smart bitch and complain about how it sucks to work at wal mart at the ripe old age of 26 while spending all their time outside of work partying.

Do the people at the top make poor decisions and reward themselves with perks or bonuses? I am sure that they do at times. Those stupid decisions are none of my business since private companies are free to do what they want with their own money. And if stupid employess want to bitch about the decisions that brass makes instead of doing their best at their own jobs to make sure that they have a good resume and good references when they quit or when the brass runs the business into the ground then they can feel satisfied that they were right when they are in the unemployment line.

And just what does it mean to give the top brass whatever they want? I am not responsible to give them anything. Neither is the government. Nor are you. In fact you think that they are responsible to give themselves things so it does not make much sense to talk about someone else giving them something.

But, the government does give them things. It gives them subsidies, favorable legislation to keep down competitors, no bid contracts, all sorts of goodies that their lobbyists get for them from good old Uncle Sammy, and the top brass still get their multi million dollar salaries, followed by a "golden parachute" when they fail.

Werbung:
But, the government does give them things. It gives them subsidies, favorable legislation to keep down competitors, no bid contracts, all sorts of goodies that their lobbyists get for them from good old Uncle Sammy, and the top brass still get their multi million dollar salaries, followed by a "golden parachute" when they fail.

This is true to a degree -- but almost every company out there (Walmart included) has some competition. That competition also employs lobbyists and is out arguing for their own benefit.

Its like any lobby really -- there is almost always a strong lobby for the other side of the issue as well -- and I believe that evens things out to a decent degree.

This is true to a degree -- but almost every company out there (Walmart included) has some competition. That competition also employs lobbyists and is out arguing for their own benefit.

Its like any lobby really -- there is almost always a strong lobby for the other side of the issue as well -- and I believe that evens things out to a decent degree.
No doubt. We have the best government money can buy, or at least the most favorable to the purchaser.

No doubt. We have the best government money can buy, or at least the most favorable to the purchaser.

I think you would be hard pressed to find someone in society today that is not somehow connected to a lobbyist.

I think you would be hard pressed to find someone in society today that is not somehow connected to a lobbyist.
Good point. So, to get government goodies, the citizen needs to make sure that his lobbyist has more money to purchase Congress than the other guy's lobbyist.

Think of it this way: Many Wallmart employees work full time or as many hours as they can get. Yet, many of them receive some form of welfare.
Is this Social welfare?
Or is it CORPORATE WELFARE passed through a "trickle UP" process to the billionaire owners?

The Secret That 'Job Creators' Like Walmart Won't Tell ... - MoveOn.org
front.moveon.org/the-secret-that-job-creators-like-walmart-wont-tell-...
Dec 20, 2011 – The Secret That 'Job Creators' Like Walmart Won't Tell You ... Comments are not necessarily representative of MoveOn.org's views or beliefs, nor are ... Paid for by MoveOn.org Political Action,http://pol.moveon.org/.

And:

Wal-Mart. Always high subsidies. Always.

The same is true in all other industries, too. The government gives tons of favors to the largest corporations, increasing the significant advantage they already have over smaller competing businesses. If, in the court of public opinion, Wal-Mart has been tried and convicted for the murder of main street, mom-and-pop America, then the government could easily be found guilty as a willing accomplice. Wal-Mart receives hundreds of millions of dollars of subsidization by local governments throughout the country. These subsidies take the form of bribes by local politicians trying to convince Wal-Mart to come to their town with the dream of significant job creation. Of course, from that follows a larger tax base. For example, a distribution center in Macclenny, Florida received $9 million in government subsidies in the form of free land, government-funded recruitment and training of employees, targeted tax breaks, and housing subsidies for employees allowing them to be paid significantly lower wages. A study by Good Jobs First found that 244 Wal-Marts around the country had received over $1 billion in government favors.
http://thinkbynumbers.org/governmen...fare-statistics-vs-social-welfare-statistics/

Good point. So, to get government goodies, the citizen needs to make sure that his lobbyist has more money to purchase Congress than the other guy's lobbyist.

N0 -- they need to make sure they have the better argument.

How much money do you think it takes to "buy" a politican? I maxed out to Mitt Romney and several other candidates -- does that mean they are in my pocket now?

Think of it this way: Many Wallmart employees work full time or as many hours as they can get. Yet, many of them receive some form of welfare.
Is this Social welfare?
Or is it CORPORATE WELFARE passed through a "trickle UP" process to the billionaire owners?

It is social welfare.

Issues like this are a glaring example of why we desperately need tax reform in this country. These incentives are only offered because its a tacit admission that the local tax structure is broken. Instead of fixing that, they simply grant waivers and workarounds.

You want this to stop? Support tax reform.

N0 -- they need to make sure they have the better argument.

How much money do you think it takes to "buy" a politican?

I'm not sure, I suppose it depends on the politician. In the millions, no doubt. The better argument is just words spoken by human beings. Money is what really talks.

I'm not sure, I suppose it depends on the politician. In the millions, no doubt. The better argument is just words spoken by human beings. Money is what really talks.

Very few people and companies give "millions" to politicans. And let's not pretend that it cannot backfire. This cycle Sheldon Adelson contributed over $60 million, and lost all his races.

Very few people and companies give "millions" to politicans. And let's not pretend that it cannot backfire. This cycle Sheldon Adelson contributed over $60 million, and lost all his races.
Oh, sure, it can backfire. Sometimes investments don't pay off.
Few people and companies get most of the perks handed out by Congress, too.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

It is good that you were able to separate the goodies that gov gives from the salaries and parachutes that the companies give. These are two separate issues.

Any person here who objects to the fat cats getting goodies from the gov in good conscience must object to anybody get goodies that the gov is nowhere authorized in the const. to give.

Any person here who objects to the fat cats getting goodies from themselves or from their employers should go out and start their own business in which they will be solely responsible for who gets what because it simply is none of your business what one citizen gives to another.

It is social welfare.

Issues like this are a glaring example of why we desperately need tax reform in this country. These incentives are only offered because its a tacit admission that the local tax structure is broken. Instead of fixing that, they simply grant waivers and workarounds.

You want this to stop? Support tax reform.

Taxes are high and theyre unfair. Like Gas taxes make everything expensive. Sales taxes is an add on to make the product expensive. I say stick with Traditional taxes like on Income and on property. Stop adding taxes on Bills,Products and on Gasolene. You wanna build new roads,Bridges and highways? Charge fees on tolls and congestion charges. Only moterist will be charged driving on highways not Frieght companies so that way your products will stay cheaper to buy. Wanna pay for schools? Charge higher property taxes on Family homes that are over $200,000. So that why its cheaper for single people to live.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

It is good that you were able to separate the goodies that gov gives from the salaries and parachutes that the companies give. These are two separate issues.

Any person here who objects to the fat cats getting goodies from the gov in good conscience must object to anybody get goodies that the gov is nowhere authorized in the const. to give.

Any person here who objects to the fat cats getting goodies from themselves or from their employers should go out and start their own business in which they will be solely responsible for who gets what because it simply is none of your business what one citizen gives to another.

At over $446 billion per year, Walmart is the third highest revenue grossing corporation in the world. Walmart earns over $15 billion per year in pure profit and pays its executives handsomely. In 2011, Walmart CEO Mike Duke – already a millionaire a dozen times over – received an $18.1 million compensation package. The Walton family controlling over 48 percent of the corporation through stock ownership does even better. Together, members of the Walton family are worth in excess of $102 billion – which makes them one of the richest families in the world.
What is shameful is that CEO Mike Duke makes more money in one hour, than his employees earn in an entire year. Yet, Walmart – which employs millions of people in its stores, distribution centers, and warehouses – continues to abuse its employees and refuses to pay them a livable wage. The company has frequently been charged with wage theft claims by workers who point to the most common forms of wage theft: the refusal to pay proper overtime, the refusal to honor the minimum wage, and illegal paycheck deductions.
Meanwhile, Walmart routinely blocks any attempt by workers to organize, using anti-union propaganda and scare tactics, firing employees without just cause, failing to provide any form of decent healthcare coverage or a livable wage.
To make matters worse, these abusive Walmart policies have increased employee reliance on government assistance and the need for a government funded social safety net. In fact, Walmart has become the number one driver behind the growing use of food stamps in the United States with "as many as 80 percent of workers in Wal-Mart stores using food stamps."
Wal-Mart's poverty wages force employees to rely on $2.66 billion in government help every year, or about $420,000 per store. In state after state, Wal-Mart employees are the top recipients of Medicaid. As many as 80 percent of workers in Wal-Mart stores use food stamps.
Walmart's employees receive $2.66 billion in government help every year, or about $420,000 per store. They are also the top recipients of Medicaid in numerous states. Why does this occur?Walmart fails to provide a livable wage and decent healthcare benefits, costing U.S. taxpayers an annual average of $1.02 billion in healthcare costs. This direct public subsidy is being given to offset the failures of an international corporate giant who shouldn’t be shifting part of its labor costs onto the American taxpayers
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...y-epidemic-taking-advantage-of-our-safety-net

And:

Over $1 billion in government subsidies have gone into transforming discounter Wal-Mart Stores from a regional discount store operator into the world's largest retailer, according to a report Monday from Good Jobs First, a Washington-based subsidy watchdog group.
"Wal-Mart presents itself as an entrepreneurial success story, yet over a few decades it has made extensive use of tax breaks, free land, cash grants and other forms of public assistance," Philip Mattera, research director of Good Jobs First said in a statement.
The study, which is funded in part by the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, found that 91 Wal-Mart stores have received individual subsidies ranging from $1 million to about $12 million, in the form of free or reduced-priced land, job training funds, sales tax rebates, tax credits and infrastructure assistance, including investment in roads.
In total, these subsidies amounted to $245 million, the report said.
Separately, the report found that 84 of Wal-Mart's distribution centers received an average of $7.4 million in subsidies, totaling about $624 million. Additionally, a database search for tax-exempt bonds issued by state and local authorities indicated that another 69 Wal-Mart stores received other low-cost financing of about $138 million
http://money.cnn.com/2004/05/24/news/fortune500/walmart_subsidies/

Werbung:

Don't shop at Wal Mart if you don't like how they conduct business. I personally hate the place, but I do hold some of their stock.

Back