Public Schools - Indoctrination Centers

The assertion that public schools are indoctrinating children is based on the same talking points regularly spewed on rant radio, which, unfortunately, substitutes for thinking for so much of our population.

cough, cough
So that explains why I took my kids out of public schools? That was long before I followed politics, watched the news, or listened to radio. I wonder what my reason could have been?

Werbung:
cough, cough
So that explains why I took my kids out of public schools? That was long before I followed politics, watched the news, or listened to radio. I wonder what my reason could have been?

What? Don't you know that the p-schools would NEVER indoctrinate the kiddies????....those wonderful unionized teachers only teach the truth...:confused::confused::confused: That is why the kiddies in America are so intelligent....:eek:...and conservative....o_Oo_Oo_O

Whatever ideology the owner of the school feels appropriate. In the public schools, the curriculum is set by the state and the elected school board. Here in the late, great, liberal state of California, that curriculum includes reading, writing, science, history and critical thinking, which includes why generalizations (such as the ones being used to blast public education on this thread) are not logically sound. It does not include creationism or religious or political indoctrination.

The assertion that public schools are indoctrinating children is based on the same talking points regularly spewed on rant radio, which, unfortunately, substitutes for thinking for so much of our population.

im afraid you just validated the claim.
as always the devil is in the details.
like i said before start tesching the truth about Lincoln and we can start the dis

...generalizations...are not logically sound.
Only to then say:
So, when a negative generalization is made about something you support, you do not consider it logically sound but you will consider a generalization logically sound if used to defend something you support...

The problem is, you hold the same set of beliefs that you support being taught in school and that's why you don't recognize your own belief system, or the resultant curriculum, as being ideological in any way. Since you do not see your own set of beliefs as being ideological, you see no problem with having your beliefs being taught in school. You don't seem to have a problem recognizing beliefs you disagree with as being ideological and, ostensibly, that's why you oppose those ideas being taught in school...

Public schools exist because of Collectivism, therefore, everyone involved in the public schools has a vested interest in ensuring that the voters of tomorrow are indoctrinated with a favorable view of Collectivism. What would eventually happen to public schools if a majority of students in every generation did not support collectivism? Well, since public schools are an expression of the Collectivist ideology, it's safe to say the public school system - and it's union - would not exist for long.

Only to then say:

So, when a negative generalization is made about something you support, you do not consider it logically sound but you will consider a generalization logically sound if used to defend something you support...

The problem is, you hold the same set of beliefs that you support being taught in school and that's why you don't recognize your own belief system, or the resultant curriculum, as being ideological in any way. Since you do not see your own set of beliefs as being ideological, you see no problem with having your beliefs being taught in school. You don't seem to have a problem recognizing beliefs you disagree with as being ideological and, ostensibly, that's why you oppose those ideas being taught in school...

Public schools exist because of Collectivism, therefore, everyone involved in the public schools has a vested interest in ensuring that the voters of tomorrow are indoctrinated with a favorable view of Collectivism. What would eventually happen to public schools if a majority of students in every generation did not support collectivism? Well, since public schools are an expression of the Collectivist ideology, it's safe to say the public school system - and it's union - would not exist for long.

If the public schools are really all that bad, then the students attending them will come away with a negative view of collectivism and all become rugged individualists who believe in an every man for himself sort of society.

If the public schools are really all that bad, then the students attending them will come away with a negative view of collectivism and all become rugged individualists who believe in an every man for himself sort of society.

Most absurd. Do not make a mockery of this serious subject.

Yes, that one.

Apparently our pot loving moderator, who happens to be a retired p-school teacher, does not believe there is ANY indoctrination going on in the p-schools. He thinks the indoctrination is NOT indoctrination, but education. Sort of like the educational benefits of showing p-school students the wonderful educational films put out by those great "educators" Fat Albert Gore and Fat Mikey Moore.

Like many on the left he is blinded by his ideology and as such, unable to see the truth even when it is right in front of his nose.

Apparently our pot loving moderator, who happens to be a retired p-school teacher, does not believe there is ANY indoctrination going on in the p-schools. He thinks the indoctrination is NOT indoctrination, but education. Sort of like the educational benefits of showing p-school students the wonderful educational films put out by those great "educators" Fat Albert Gore and Fat Mikey Moore.

Like many on the left he is blinded by his ideology and as such, unable to see the truth even when it is right in front of his nose.

Never, not in 38 years, did I ever show a Gore or Moore movie to my students, nor did any of my colleagues, ever. I did, however, spend quite a lot of time teaching children how to separate fact from opinion, how to understand cause and effect, and how to research facts and come up with their own conclusions. I know that sort of skill is contrary to the self described conservative mindset, but isn't really qualified as "indoctrination".

Oh, yes, and we spent quite a lot of time on math, reading, and science... Oh, well, come to think of it, science is very much a left wing ideology, now isn't it? Maybe the schools are guilty as charged after all. Perhaps we need to give equal time to superstition. Is that what you're calling "indoctrination?"

Never, not in 38 years, did I ever show a Gore or Moore movie to my students, nor did any of my colleagues, ever. I did, however, spend quite a lot of time teaching children how to separate fact from opinion, how to understand cause and effect, and how to research facts and come up with their own conclusions. I know that sort of skill is contrary to the self described conservative mindset, but isn't really qualified as "indoctrination".

Oh, yes, and we spent quite a lot of time on math, reading, and science... Oh, well, come to think of it, science is very much a left wing ideology, now isn't it? Maybe the schools are guilty as charged after all. Perhaps we need to give equal time to superstition. Is that what you're calling "indoctrination?"

I am glad that you personally were not one of those indoctrinating kids. But your reference to the Gore movie indicates that you are aware that it was happening while you are claiming that it is not serious.

Well....there is that great p-school teacher logic. Since you never showed Fat Al or Fat Mike movies, no p-school teacher did either....in the whole F-ing country. And you call yourself a TEACHER!!!

Did I state in my prior post, that YOU showed the two fat boy's movies to your students?

I am glad that you personally were not one of those indoctrinating kids. But your reference to the Gore movie indicates that you are aware that it was happening while you are claiming that it is not serious.
I'm aware that Al Gore made a movie about global warming. I've never seen it.

Not only did I not personally engage in indoctrination, other than reciting the pledge, of course, but never in all of those years knew of no colleagues doing so.

It is my opinion, based on extensive experience, that stories about teachers engaging in indoctrination are rare, often exaggerated, and in no way representative of the public schools at large.

Not only did I not personally engage in indoctrination, other than reciting the pledge, of course, but never in all of those years knew of no colleagues doing so.

It is my opinion, based on extensive experience, that stories about teachers engaging in indoctrination are rare, often exaggerated, and in no way representative of the public schools at large.
One of our local high schools had a mandatory viewing by the kids AND their parents of AlGores movie. A few walked out in protest, it made the news, the kids didnt pass the class. That same school (and its not even close to the most liberal in our area) had a play that basicly trashed republicans, the kids who walked out of that got all kinds of heat from the teachers. That sort of stuff is comon place here. Kids being sent home or forced to change their shirt if it was pro Bush during that election. The college is even worse. You were only counted in class if you went to the anti war rally but if you went to the pro troops rally you were considered absent. So either you went to their rally or missed a day at class or lied.

Werbung:

I tend to agree though I think the degree of rare more than you guess and less than the others.

I'll reiterate that I feel its the central administration who pick the texts and set the curriculum who are most responsible. and thats a direct conclusion from the stories I heard from the many teachers I know personally (my step mother for example). as an example, if you put up a picture including people there HAD to be the approved assortment of types of people or it could not go up. the teachers hated it but could do nothing about it.

Back