Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami

Imagine an accident in a nuclear plant that allowed radio active cooling water to drain into Lake Michigan instead of the Pacific ocean.

The ocean is big enough for it to dissipate. However, such an accident would be catastrophic beyond what can be imagined for the entire Great Lakes region.

"What can go wrong, will go wrong." BP oil spill, XXieon Val Diez, Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, etc., accidents that could not happen.

Werbung:
HMM.. Maybe those Dinosauroid-like Alien Reptiles are to blame.

Or, perhaps the scientists are right once again, and plate tectonics are the cause of earthquakes in Japan and anywhere else.

No, human beings can't make earthquakes. That idea is just absurd.

So former Secretary of Defense Cohen is absurd? Or you are ignorant?

DoD News Briefing: Secretary of Defense William S. CohenApril 28, 1997

; and others are designing some sort of engineering, some sort of insects that can destroy specific crops. Others are engaging even in an eco- type of terrorism whereby they can alter the climate, set off earthquakes, volcanoes remotely through the use of electromagnetic waves.

So there are plenty of ingenious minds out there that are at work finding ways in which they can wreak terror upon other nations. It's real, and that's the reason why we have to intensify our efforts, and that's why this is so important.

http://www.defenselink.mil/transcripts/transcript.aspx?transcriptid=674
http://www.defense.gov/transcripts/transcript.aspx?transcriptid=674

human beings can't make earthquakes. That idea is just absurd.
Well, no. Humans can make earthquakes. I was in Aurora Colorado, suburb of Denver, when chemical and biological waste was pumped underground to dispose of it caused two small earthquakes. I was stationed at Fitsimmons Army Hospital, about one mile from the Rocky Mountain Arsenal where the pumping was taking place. It happened in 1963. A Goggle search may revel some information on it.

Nuclear plants take 1000 years for the waste to disappear. There is no way we can guarantee there will be no accidents over this period of time. They are not safe anywhere

OK, so name something that is guaranteed to be 100% safe. Tick, tick, tick.

This is a typical argument of the left when it comes to nuclear power. I call it the "chicken little syndrome".

By the way, the "waste" from a nuke power plants never "disappears". But it can be stored safely for a long, long time. If the federal government would top playing politics with the Yucca Mountain repository in Nevada, there would not be a problem with nuclear waste storage in the USA.

Imagine an accident in a nuclear plant that allowed radio active cooling water to drain into Lake Michigan instead of the Pacific ocean.

The ocean is big enough for it to dissipate. However, such an accident would be catastrophic beyond what can be imagined for the entire Great Lakes region.

"What can go wrong, will go wrong." BP oil spill, XXieon Val Diez, Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, etc., accidents that could not happen.

Here we go again. Lumping Chernobyl and TMI together, even though there are ZERO similarities between the two accidents, as there are ZERO similarities between Chernobyl and the Japan nuke power plant accidents.

Chernobyl is in a class all by itself. Makes the Russkies proud, I bet.
The first country in space. The first, and the only, country to have a catastrophic nuclear power plant accident that has caused billions of dollars in economic losses in dozens of countries on three different continents, wiped out a city of over 100,000 people, and killed countless other people from the acute radiation exposures that occurred, and has killed many more from the chronic radiation exposures in the following years.

Chernobyl, and all Russian nuke power plants of that design, were all accidents waiting to happen. Only by the grace of God did more Russian nuke power plants NOT have Chernobyl-type accidents.

The Japanese building nuclear power plants in earthquake and tsunami zones are also accidents waiting to happen.

The very minor TMI accident was caused by the mindset, at that time in history, of the operators of that nuke power plant facility, and the nuke power plant industry in-general. TMI happened over 30 years ago. It was the first and only accident of ANY significance at a U.S. nuke power plant, and it was nothing compared to Chernobyl or the Japanese nuke accidents.

So, "dahermit", the Final Jeopardy answer is: "water". And the question is: What is the most cost effective and best shielding for radioactive isotopes?

What are the chances of one of the two nuclear power plants located on Lake Michigan having a catastrophic accident that would contaminate Lake Michigan and other Great Lakes enough to cause widespread ecological and biological damage? Slim to as close to none as humanly possible.

What are the chances of one of the two nuclear power plants located on Lake Michigan having a catastrophic accident that would contaminate Lake Michigan and other Great Lakes enough to cause widespread ecological and biological damage? Slim to as close to none as humanly possible.
What statistical formula did you use to come up with the answer as being, "... Slim to as close to none..."?

Other than that, your personal assurance that there is virtually no chance of a nuclear discharge due to human error, bad welds not x-rayed despite being a requirement, unforeseen event (terrorist activity?), safety systems not turned on, etc., is certainly good enough for me. Now, just what is your mechanical/engineering background so that I may use you as a source to reassure those who live in the Great Lakes area? I do not want to be accused of using some blow-hard on the INTERNET as an expert on the subject if I cannot cite your credentials.

What statistical formula did you use to come up with the answer as being, "... Slim to as close to none..."?

Other than that, your personal assurance that there is virtually no chance of a nuclear discharge due to human error, bad welds not x-rayed despite being a requirement, unforeseen event (terrorist activity?), safety systems not turned on, etc., is certainly good enough for me. Now, just what is your mechanical/engineering background so that I may use you as a source to reassure those who live in the Great Lakes area? I do not want to be accused of using some blow-hard on the INTERNET as an expert on the subject if I cannot cite your credentials.

Human error is prevalent in all fields...human errors cause airplanes and cars to crash, but you don't stop using them and call them "unsafe" because of it.

Human error is prevalent in all fields...human errors cause airplanes and cars to crash, but you don't stop using them and call them "unsafe" because of it.

It is beyond belief that you cannot see the difference between car and aircraft accidents and what can happen in the event of a nuclear power plant melting down. Let's see, aircraft crash and Chernobyl. Aircraft crash and Japanese nuclear accident. What is the difference? None, only to the insane.

It is beyond belief that you cannot see the difference between car and aircraft accidents and what can happen in the event of a nuclear power plant melting down. Let's see, aircraft crash and Chernobyl. Aircraft crash and Japanese nuclear accident. What is the difference? None, only to the insane.

At the basic level, human error can be the root cause of both...obviously the result of each is different, but if human error is the cause of a disaster, nothing is "safe."

It is hardly beyond belief.

At the basic level, human error can be the root cause of both...obviously the result of each is different, but if human error is the cause of a disaster, nothing is "safe."

It is hardly beyond belief.

Nothing is completely safe. Nuclear power plants can have nuclear accidents. Coal plants put SO2 and other nasties in the air, and then there are the mining accidents. Hydro plants sometimes create flash floods. There is no totally safe way of making large amounts of electricity. So, should we all quit using it?
Or, make it as safe as we can and learn from the accidents how to prevent future accidents?

Nothing is completely safe. Nuclear power plants can have nuclear accidents. Coal plants put SO2 and other nasties in the air, and then there are the mining accidents. Hydro plants sometimes create flash floods. There is no totally safe way of making large amounts of electricity. So, should we all quit using it?
Or, make it as safe as we can and learn from the accidents how to prevent future accidents?

Exactly.

I thought you would never ask.

18 years of nuclear power plant experience, as a radiochemist, radiation monitoring engineer, nuclear chemist, haz mat incident commander, and thousands of hours of classroom and OJT in all phases of nuclear power plant operations. Oh, I forgot about my Bachelor Of Science degree and the fact that I worked at several nuclear power facilities in the United States, from coast-to-coast.

Since I retired from the industry ten years ago, and I have no reason whatsoever to promote nuclear power from a monetary standpoint, my opinions are based on my own extensive experience and knowledge, and my desire to put to rest all of the misinformation and falsehoods that people like YOU spread around like cow manure.

So, do you have any other questions? Any other doubts about my credentials?
Are you interested in FACTS, or are you still more interested in your agenda-driven junk-science.

DrWho stated it best in a different thread. You enviro-wackos and leftists (oops, that redundant) spend your lives "what-iffing" and exploring every possible scenario, no matter how silly or ridiculously "out there" it may be, to support whatever "agenda du jour" you have chosen. Then, when you go from the "dream" stage to the "oops, this didn't happen the way it was supposed to" stage, it reduces your credibility even closer to zero, and you people move on to some other wacked out agenda. It's a vicious, and really silly, circle.

I thought you would never ask.

18 years of nuclear power plant experience, as a radiochemist, radiation monitoring engineer, nuclear chemist, haz mat incident commander, and thousands of hours of classroom and OJT in all phases of nuclear power plant operations. Oh, I forgot about my Bachelor Of Science degree and the fact that I worked at several nuclear power facilities in the United States, from coast-to-coast.

Since I retired from the industry ten years ago, and I have no reason whatsoever to promote nuclear power from a monetary standpoint, my opinions are based on my own extensive experience and knowledge, and my desire to put to rest all of the misinformation and falsehoods that people like YOU spread around like cow manure.

So, do you have any other questions? Any other doubts about my credentials?
Are you interested in FACTS, or are you still more interested in your agenda-driven junk-science.

DrWho stated it best in a different thread. You enviro-wackos and leftists (oops, that redundant) spend your lives "what-iffing" and exploring every possible scenario, no matter how silly or ridiculously "out there" it may be, to support whatever "agenda du jour" you have chosen. Then, when you go from the "dream" stage to the "oops, this didn't happen the way it was supposed to" stage, it reduces your credibility even closer to zero, and you people move on to some other wacked out agenda. It's a vicious, and really silly, circle.
Yah. And I am a doctor...or at least I like to play one with the girls. That is the beauty of the internet, you can claim to be anything you want.

Yah. And I am a doctor...or at least I like to play one with the girls. That is the beauty of the internet, you can claim to be anything you want.

Take your snake oil and go sell it to somebody who cares.

Stay in your own lane, son. The one on the far right. The slow one.

Werbung:
Back