Economic Indicators

Werbung:
Of course by "losing out" I meant that the foreign cars had double digit growth, while US averaged single digit. I generally try to buy American when it's possible. Are you saying it now true that you can generally buy a foreign car and still have most of the expenditure remain in the American economy? If so, I have been withholding myself too much, and my conscience would gladly allow me to buy a foreign car.

Looking back at the figures, I see you do have a point. The only one of the "big three" that had double digit growth was Chrysler, which is not really American any more (having been purchased by Fiat).

But, just what is an American car? It used to be you could buy a Ford, GM, or Chrysler (or Studebaker, Desoto, or several others at one time) and have an American car, as opposed to a tiny, cramped, and underpowered "foreign" car like a VW bug or a Datsun (now Nissan). Now, cars and the parts for cars come from all over the world, and those foreign names are no longer necessarily tiny and underpowered. The auto industry has become an international market. My last Chevy, piece of (bleep!) that it was, was actually made in Canada, but my great, fuel efficient, and highly reliable Honda was built in Ohio.

Of course by "losing out" I meant that the foreign cars had double digit growth, while US averaged single digit. I generally try to buy American when it's possible. Are you saying it now true that you can generally buy a foreign car and still have most of the expenditure remain in the American economy? If so, I have been withholding myself too much, and my conscience would gladly allow me to buy a foreign car.

You would have to do some research to determine just which car is made more in the US than which other cars - very confusing. My opinion is to buy the cheapest car you want and use the money you save to buy american services or local products which are 100% american.

Good news. The auto industry is picking up. These are snippets from today's Associated Press.

What is wrong with this picture? Maybe local auto dealers are making money, but the US automotive manufacturers are losing out.
GM's alive... but for how long?

Judge Set to Rule on Case that Could Reverse Auto Bailout:
A New York federal judge may rule imminently on a case that could reverse the General Motors (GM) bailout and send the company back into bankruptcy, according to sources close to the case.

You would have to do some research to determine just which car is made more in the US than which other cars - very confusing. My opinion is to buy the cheapest car you want and use the money you save to buy american services or local products which are 100% american.
I think the big things like engines and transmissions are foreign made on lots of models. I have a 13 year old Chevy Convertible Tracker. It isn't totally a piece of (bleep!) as PLCl says his is. However I am patronizing local American services as you say, such as the auto shops to fix the (bleep) thing.

I think the big things like engines and transmissions are foreign made on lots of models. I have a 13 year old Chevy Convertible Tracker. It isn't totally a piece of (bleep!) as PLCl says his is. However I am patronizing local American services as you say, such as the auto shops to fix the (bleep) thing.

If you have a 13 year old Chevy that runs reliably, then consider yourself lucky. As for me, my Bible is Consumer Reports (not Consumer Guide, that is so frequently cited by auto manufacturers). If there isn't a red dot (much better than average) in the reliability column, then I don't need either that car or the aggravation of continuing to pour money into auto shops, American or not.

One of the big reasons, IMO, that GM was at the brink to begin with is having sold too many unreliable pieces of (bleep!) over the years.

Who cares where the car is made? This whole "Buy American" because it will "help American jobs" is total nonsense. What helps jobs is a specialization of resources and trade.

Then Republicans should make an effort to buy foreign .

I'll make an effort to buy the cheapest, highest quality item that I can. That frees up my capital to buy more goods -- and thus ultimately create more jobs.

Unemployment Rate Ticks Up To 7.9% –
Update – 8.5 Million Left Labor Force In Obama’s First Term.

Despite the federal government wasting $7.66 trillion dollars in stimulus over the past several years, the economy still stinks.
Recovery? What recovery?
The U.S. generated 157,000 jobs in January, just short of analysts’ estimates and another sign that economic momentum is stagnating. The headline unemployment rate inched higher to 7.9% from 7.8% a month ago.

The data adds fuel to a growing feeling that the recovery from the deep recession that followed the financial crisis of 2007 and 2008 has hit a snag. (Read More)​
Meanwhile, the dismal labor participation rate remains unchanged

Werbung:
Unemployment Rate Ticks Up To 7.9% –
Update – 8.5 Million Left Labor Force In Obama’s First Term.

Despite the federal government wasting $7.66 trillion dollars in stimulus over the past several years, the economy still stinks.
Recovery? What recovery?
The U.S. generated 157,000 jobs in January, just short of analysts’ estimates and another sign that economic momentum is stagnating. The headline unemployment rate inched higher to 7.9% from 7.8% a month ago.​
The data adds fuel to a growing feeling that the recovery from the deep recession that followed the financial crisis of 2007 and 2008 has hit a snag. (Read More)​
Meanwhile, the dismal labor participation rate remains unchanged

Gloom and doom. We hear it all the time. Yes, there are plenty of people out of work, and lots more working part time when they need full time work. Yes, many people's salaries have declined compared to the cost of living. All of that is true.

Yet, we just came back from a shopping trip. The parking lots were full. People were in the stores buying. The lines to get checked out were long. When we went to Panera's for lunch, not the cheapest place in town, nor the most expensive, nearly every table was full. The roads were packed with new looking cars, many with expensive logos; Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes.

Is the economy really all that bad?

Back