Capital Punishment

No it's not. There's a difference between unborn, innocent people who have never committed a crime and those guilty of premeditated, cold-blooded murder.

BTW -- nice touch with the "anti-choice". I guess that makes you anti-life.

Excuse me, but I chose my words in direct reaction to your choice of words: pro-abortion rather than pro-choice.

Death penalty is the taking of human life.

In practice - innocent people can and likely have been executed.

The death penalty works on the principle that if a few innocent people are killed, it's ok because the majority are guilty so greater good is more important then the individual.

Not to different then pro-life.

Werbung:
Excuse me, but I chose my words in direct reaction to your choice of words: pro-abortion rather than pro-choice.

No, a direct reaction to my choice of words would've been calling me "anti-abortion".

The death penalty works on the principle that if a few innocent people are killed, it's ok because the majority are guilty so greater good is more important then the individual.

Where do you get this idea?

Not at all.

The positive words for our respective positions are:

Pro-life
Pro-choice

The perforative words are:
Pro-abortion
Anti-choice

I still don't agree. I'm Pro-Life. You're Pro-Choice. If you were to rephrase my position in a negative fashion, you would make your position "anti-choice". Likewise, I would do "anti-life".

Pro/anti-abortion is entirely different.

Damn...It seems to me that the two subjects (Abortions & The Death
Penalty) is being confused. Sure even if they both is a mark of death.
They are completely different. There's NO WAY none of you are going
to sit on your butts, and tell me that if something should happen to
your loveones...you won't react.

I support any form of punishment as long as it serves its purpose,
and I feel good regardless whatever the outcome was. Years ago,
a so-called friend broke into my house while my girlfriend and I was
sleeping. My lady friend heard the noise before I did so she went
downstairs to investigate. As she was about to come back upstairs
he shot her, and after hearing the shots I woke up.

Back then I always kept my sidearm under my pillow, and that was
the first thing I grabbed after realizing my girl wasn't in the bed.
As I was coming down the stairs he fired off three rounds (which
two missed me, but the third one hit my left leg) I fired back hitting
him just above the heart, and that took him out.

I am NOT sharing this to be bragging, but I am saying that we will
talk that crap until it hits home, and just out of human instinct
we are going to react. To this day I have no shameabout what I
did, and I feel that I served the ass*** with justifiable capital
punishment.

I still have my sidearm and weapon permit, and after having that
experience I am one bitter person that supports the death penalty.

I still don't agree. I'm Pro-Life. You're Pro-Choice. If you were to rephrase my position in a negative fashion, you would make your position "anti-choice". Likewise, I would do "anti-life".

Pro/anti-abortion is entirely different.

Well...I choose words to reflect what I feel the real position is - and if someone chooses a word I feel is perjorative, I'll do the same...I apologize if I offended you. I happen to consider my position pro-choice because I might not choose abortion.

It's the same contradiction that exists in being pro-death penalty, anti-choice.

Every single individual who is executed gets the full benefit of the legal system and is convicted of a crime and sentenced to execution by a jury of his or her peers. Exactly what does each unborn get by way of a day in court? Don't try and claim that anything about capital punishment and abortion are the same.

Every single individual who is executed gets the full benefit of the legal system and is convicted of a crime and sentenced to execution by a jury of his or her peers. Exactly what does each unborn get by way of a day in court? Don't try and claim that anything about capital punishment and abortion are the same.

It makes no difference if that executed individual got his day in court but was innocent. None what so ever. He's still just as dead and just as innocent.

It makes no difference if that executed individual got his day in court but was innocent. None what so ever. He's still just as dead and just as innocent.
True, which is why I have my reservations about the death penalty. However, a few facts about abortion disturb me as well. Late term abortions are performed everyday in the US. These so called abortions could survive outside the womb if it was so desired. These babies are absolutely innocent without the need of a trial and their deaths are carried out with these facts in mind. This gives me pause. You?

-Castle

True, which is why I have my reservations about the death penalty. However, a few facts about abortion disturb me as well. Late term abortions are performed everyday in the US. These so called abortions could survive outside the womb if it was so desired. These babies are absolutely innocent without the need of a trial and their deaths are carried out with these facts in mind. This gives me pause. You?

-Castle

I don't support late term abortions except in rare cases when the mother's life is in danger. The death penalty - I could support in theory, but not in practice because it is drastically flawed in practice.

Trying to establish some moral equivalency between execution and abortion doesn't really work. Although it is the kind of simplistic, knee jerk logic that appeals to a certain limited mentality.

Trying to establish some moral equivalency between execution and abortion doesn't really work. Although it is the kind of simplistic, knee jerk logic that appeals to a certain limited mentality.

There is no moral equivalency between killing convicted murderers and inncoent unborns.

The death penalty - I could support in theory, but not in practice because it is drastically flawed in practice.

Why? Maybe 20 years ago, but today when in order for there to be the death penalty there needs to be a body and DNA evidence, not to mention motive, means, and opportunity?

And you could make the same argument for regular jailtime. I'm sure there have been people who were sentenced to life and died in prison who were innocent. Does that mean our justice system is "drastically flawed in practice" and should be abolished?

Werbung:
Why? Maybe 20 years ago, but today when in order for there to be the death penalty there needs to be a body and DNA evidence, not to mention motive, means, and opportunity?

And you could make the same argument for regular jailtime. I'm sure there have been people who were sentenced to life and died in prison who were innocent. Does that mean our justice system is "drastically flawed in practice" and should be abolished?

The standards of evidence neededto remand to the death penalty phase vary from state to state. There is no requirement to review all the current death penalty cases and check them against modern technology nor is there any current legislation requiring that it meet the most stringent standards of evidence.

The other objection I have to the death penalty is it's inequity in practice - both in terms of the types of crimes for which the death penalty is recommended and in terms of the inequity in race, gender, and class when it is applied.

Are you saying that loss of freedom is the same as loss of life?

Back