Capital Punishment

The United States is one of the, (if not, the last) western nation to still have capital punishment, other nations who still have the policy include: Egypt, Bangladesh, China, Indonesia, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Laos. . .

I think that says something!

Werbung:
Coupled with the extremely high imprisonment rate, the high infant mortality rate, the high poverty rate, and the number of people who have no health insurance and almost no workers protections, what it says is that Americans are a bunch of hard ass red necks.

life is precious. so precious that if you take a life in cold blood than its only fair that you give up your own. allowimg someone to kill and not face justice is a disgrace to the value of life. another reason death penalty is good is that we dont have to use our tax dollars to feed and clothe rapists and murders. and it would send a clear message to possible murderers that they will suffer consequences thus greatly lowering homicide rates. it would save countless lives.

whatever. those are my enemies. am I not allowed to have enemies? I am a christian thus I am an enemy of atheism. what is wrong with that?

Sounds like a radical Muslim... my enemies are the non believers... suppose your not so different after all. Why can't you just keep your religion to yourself and pray for my repentence like you should do according to your texts? Chrisitans aren't supposed to have enemies unless you take your stance from the Crusades or something.

You can have your faith, I'll have mine... or is that asking too much tolerance?

So - lets go through your enemies if you don't mind. Abortion, I don't see how thats an enemy to you. Crime, drugs, gangs, dictatorship, yeah fair enough.

I don't see a real threat being posed by anarchy or communism, and I don't see how in hell you can regard gay marriage, something that wouldn't ever effect you personally but make lots of other people very happy, an enemy.

Abortion, thats hardly something that can be an enemy, and terrorism is a pretty loose word banded around to fit your governments agenda and give it permission to do whatever the hell it wants.

Gun control? So everyone can have a gun, no controls or anything?

Do I know my enemies? Yeah, people who hate everything and everyone that doesn't fit their own personal beliefs and faiths is a good starting point.

1)i hate the ideas. i dont hate the person.
2)abortion is mass murder and im not really a fan of that kind of thing.
3) i said atheism is my enemy. i never said i wanted to lead a crusade. i will pray for you and other non beleivers but thats not the only thing i am intended to do. obviously i need to help in the fight against it.
4) when i say gun control i mean the liberals who want to take all our guns away
5)anarchy isnt a threat but it is a seed of rebellion that must be crushed in its early stages.

Why does it bother you so much if gays want to get married then?

Abortion is always going to happen, either legally or illegally, and when its backstreet it gets far more messy. Regardless, its not murder when the foetus is barely developed but thats a matter we are never going to be able to resolve.

Anarchy isn't a threat... yet its a seed of rebellion that must be crushed. Sounds like it is a threat to you - and an irrational and nonexistent one at that.

1) gay marrige decimates the all marrige stands for. its just another step leading us down this road to moral obolivion
2) if abortion where illegal it would go down saving countless lives. even in its early stages the fetus is a functioning being. it is irrealevent when they abort it. life is life. it doesnt matter how complex. it isnt just any living thing, its a human. not an insect or a clump of cells or an inanimate object.
3) anarchy might be a threat, it might not. but better safe than sorry.

Sorry for the intrusion and all, but I was reading an article which gobsmacked* me. Apparently Georgia is going to execute a rather loving human being, one William Earl Lynd by lethal injection at a prison in Jackson today. His crimes are legion and nasty yadda yadda yadda .......RIP and all that jazz, anyway...

Now you guys probably all know about this but I nearly choked on my sandwich when I read the following.... coz I've never heard anything this bizzaar....

If Lynd's execution goes ahead, it will be the first since the U.S. Supreme Court on April 16 rejected a challenge to the lethal three-drug cocktail used in most U.S. executions, which opponents had claimed inflicted unnecessary pain.

To quote John McEnroe - YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!! - the death penalty inflicts unnecessary pain!!??? Well sheeeeeit we have an expert on the bleeding obvious. Anyway, people that are about die probably have a tad more on their minds than a prick in the arm!!

Oh boy :rolleyes:

Oh yeah you can feast your eyes on the article, click the linky thingy here

*Gobsmacked - adjective - to be struckdumb through sheer lunacy

Where the objection comes from is that the US constitution forbids "cruel and unusual" punishment. (There have been endless debates over whether the "and" means "and" or "or"). Some say "cruel" is interpretable by the 18th century standards of the document, in which eg hanging wasn't cruel. Others claim that the standard that should be applied is that contemporary to a particular execution. All this probably seems to be ridiculously fine points since the person is going to die, and it was justice Blackmun who said he was ""no longer tinkering with the machinery of death" (highly ironic, since he was also the author of the Roe. v. Wade decision that resulted in 50 million abortions). This is one issue I have never been able to make my mind up about.

Where the objection comes from is that the US constitution forbids "cruel and unusual" punishment. (There have been endless debates over whether the "and" means "and" or "or"). Some say "cruel" is interpretable by the 18th century standards of the document, in which eg hanging wasn't cruel. Others claim that the standard that should be applied is that contemporary to a particular execution. All this probably seems to be ridiculously fine points since the person is going to die, and it was justice Blackmun who said he was ""no longer tinkering with the machinery of death" (highly ironic, since he was also the author of the Roe. v. Wade decision that resulted in 50 million abortions). This is one issue I have never been able to make my mind up about.

I'm in a similar situation in regards to capital punishment. I did a lot of research on it in high school and it is highly practical in every sense - costs less than imprisonment, doesn't take up the space a prisoner does, prevents that criminal from escaping or even parolling and committing more crimes (a statistical probability), and it's a proven deterrant, both in theory and in practice. For everything it seeks to do, capital punishment is effective.

But that doesn't make it right.

Werbung:
Back