Seth Rogen on Israel

Stalin

how many of our resident shills fit the profile rogen is presenting

"Rogen did not go so far as to explicitly identify himself as an anti-Zionist Jew. But he went much further than simply criticizing the policies of the current Israeli government. He rejected the idea that his “100,000% Jewish identity,” a secular Jewish identity coming from “a line of very tough blue collar Jews,” should be rooted in any cultural identification with the state of Israel at all.

Indeed, Rogen labeled the entire idea of Jewish statehood the result of an “antiquated thought process” and memorably said that as a strategy for the preservation of Jewish peoplehood, encouraging all Jews to live in one Jewish state is nonsensical, because “you don’t keep something you’re trying to preserve all in one place especially when that place has proven to be… pretty volatile. I’m trying to keep all these things safe, I’m going to put them in my blender and hope that that’s the best place! That will do it!”

Rogen also criticized the Israel education he received as a child for neglecting to teach about Palestinian history, declaring that he was “fed a huge amount of lies about Israel my entire life. You know, they never tell you, that oh by the way, there were people there.” And he concluded that progressive, left-wing millennial Jews increasingly feel a need to “ask a lot of questions and… really challenge the status quo” when it comes to Israel politics.

Unsurprisingly, Rogen’s comments divided the Jewish community, with left-wing Jewish groups hailing Rogen as a brave truth-teller, while Jews on the right attacked Rogen for supposedly speaking from “a position of really, really great privilege – and ignorance” and called him “utterly clueless as to why Herzl and his followers sought self-determination in Israel in the first place.”

Rogen’s critics did not simply disagree with his rejection of a Jewish identity rooted in the state of Israel, but attacked him for supposed “ignoranceand for “forgetting his own people’s history,” and claimed that Rogen’s comments “show the need for more education about Israel as the ancestral home of the Jewish people.”

The thing is, the claim that Rogen’s rejection of Israel and Zionism reflects a lack of proper education says more about the North American Jewish community than it does about Rogen himself. Rogen hardly grew up alienated from mainstream establishment Jewish organizations. His father worked for the longtime Jewish labor group Workmen’s Circle, and he attended a Habonim Dror Zionist youth movement summer camp for years, which he valued so much that he later produced a promotional video for the camp.

comrade stalin
palestine

Werbung:
Back