Another theory that must be rejected by conservatives

I don't need a refresher course in basic chemistry, Palerider. 3 years of college chemistry is enough for me to know that my statement about it being a well established fact of chemistry is true.

Then how is it that you missed the fact that your own site stated quite clearly that the energy absorbed by a CO2 molecule is emitted, never mind the fact that they failed to note that it is emitted instantly and that a CO2 molecule can't absorb the emission spectrum of another CO2 molecule.

I might add that nothing in your link de-establishes the fact that CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and that it acts as a barrier to prevent re-emission of absorbed infrared radiation from the sun.

Describe how you believe this "barrier" to work. Keep in mind that once a CO2 molecule absorbs and emits IR, no other CO2 molecule can reabsorb that energy. How does a single absorption and immediate re emission of a parcel of IR represent a barrier

Your suggestion that the Earth's atmoshpere is an open system is irrelevant to this singular fact, since greenhouse gases close the system to re-emission of infrared radiation.

By definition, a closed system is a region in which energy may cross the barrier but matter may not. Are you claiming that matter may not cross the "barrier" that you claim CO2 represents?

No offense, but if you took 3 semesters of chemistry, you wasted your time.

Werbung:
Aren't you another self described "conservative?"

If so, you are confirming my argument with every post.

My political philosophy is conservative. That has nothing to do with my philosophy as a scientist. Proof convinces me. Hypothesis supported by strong observed evidence impresses me. Pop pseudoscience attempting to dress up as science and spewed by folks who lack the education to grasp the foundational problems with the pseudoscience they are spewing doesn't impress me in the least.

People who can't support their climate beliefs who engage in ad hominem and circumstantial ad hominem attacks in lieu of defending their postion impress me even less. You want to talk science, lets talk. You want to paint with a broad brush, you are wasting your time and mine as it is no more and no less than so much mental masturbation.

CO2 absorbs infrared radiation, period.

Absorbs and immediately re emitts. No energy is held by the CO2 molecule. Feel free to provide proof if you believe any exists.

This can readily be demonstrated by placing an infrared light source inside a transparant glass chamber filled with CO2 gas and then photographing the chamber with an infrared camera.

What you are observing is CO2 absorbing to extinction. Not CO2 absorbing energy and retaining it.

This can readily be demonstrated by placing an infrared light source inside a transparant glass chamber filled with CO2 gas and then photographing the chamber with an infrared camera.

I should have been a bit more clear. Because no CO2 molecule can re absorb the emission spectrum of another CO2 molecule, there reaches a point where, IN A CLOSED SYSTEM) the CO2 absorbs to extinction and no IR can pass. This is only true in a closed system.

If you believe in peak oil, then perhaps you could make the case based on your belief, but again, no hard proof. Reserves are greater now than at any time in history.

In what alternative universe? Based on my belief? Oh, yeah, I'm a geologist, so far be it from me to claim to actually know anything about geology.

The pollution, I can agree with, but until such time as there is a genuine profit motive (not to be confused with tax breaks and government programs), there will be no real advance in alternative energy. That being said, there is a fairly large body of science (and growing) that strongly suggests an abiotic origin for hydrocarbons.

So, it is the profits that have you concerned, not some concern for jobs, or harm to the environment. Profits. Got it. As for the abiotic origin of hydrocarbons, what LARGE BODY OF SCIENCE, where? Only a handful of people are pushing that hypothesis, and, not surprisingly, they've won the praise of Global warming deniers, and they certainly don't constitute a LARGE BODY OF SCIENCE. Indeed, in most main stream science publications, that hypothesis has not been well received at all.

I am a biochemist and have actually seen hydrocarbons created in a laboratory under conditions of high heat and pressure very similar to the interior of the earth and with materials known to exist in great quantities within the earth. To date, no scientist can offer up a genuinely plausable senario in which dead dinosaurs and rotting plant matter could change into oil.

Most hydrocarbons break down at temperatures above 100 degrees C. Certainly every useful one (particularly the ones that occur naturally in large quantities) we know of does. This is well known and unambiguous. That you actually believe that oil comes from dinosaurs tells me that you should have fired your biochemistry professor, if, indeed, he is the source of that urban myth.

That they will run out is, again, an assumption on your part. The more likely senario is that we find more efficient ways of using them because there is a genuine profit motive in the development of more efficent burning of fuels.

It is going to run out. Of that there can be no question. It is a finite resource. And when it does, what then? You people have fought tooth and nail against any efforts to come up with alternatives. So when the cars stop moving, and the lights go out, who are you going to blame? Us "libs"? Good luck with that.

There was a profit motive in development of the automobile. Entrepreneurs risked their own fortunes in pursuit of profits. Government is not entrepreneurial and can very easily send an economy into the tank with even good hearted motives attempting to force change on a less than willing populous.

Not originally. Originally it was just some guys tinkering in a shop. It wasn't until Henry fFord standardized the assembly line that mass production of automobiles became possible. No one is asking the government to be entrepreneurial. The government is not entrepreneurial with regard to research grants for medicine, and yet the advances due to government assistence have been phenomenal.

Care to describe tomorrow's energy sector? The best engineers in the world can't do it. They can't even begin to imagine how to replace the present energy consumption, let alone the future needs of developing economies.

Tomrrow's energy sector is already taking shape.

sustainable-wind-farms.jpg

solar%20grove.jpg

solar.jpg

The best minds in the world have estimated that in order to get us off oil and coal, we need about 15,000 nuclear reactors or about 146 million wind turbines. Once more with emphasis, till there is a genuine profit motive for getting off oil, new technology won't be emerging.

Best minds? Do they have names?

The vostok ice core data is propaganda? Good one.

Obviously, those are your words, not mine. Whoever massaged the graph you posted didn't do a very good job of it. The graph I posted came straight from the scientists who drilled the core and analyzed it. Next.

I didn't post any comments or thoughts she had with regard to the data, I simply used those graphs because they look the best and have been broken down into fairly high resolution segments. Circumstantial ad hominems are of no more value than appeals to authority. Logical fallacy is logical fallacy. If you have some specific point you would like to make with the accuracy of the graphs and are prepared to prove an error, by all means, lets see. Otherwise, complaining about a source simply because you don't like it is useless.

Look the best? Did you even bother to research that graph to wsee if it was valid, or what was it's source? But as to appeals to authority, I love it when the non-science public uses that phrase when discussing science with a scientist. I always get a chuckle out of it. If you don't understand the science, just say so, and I'll be happy to explain it to you why someone with a friggin lot of science education, degrees, and experience in a particular field is usually the go-to guy for matters pertaining to his field of discipline, as opposed to political pundants who are simply trying to score political points with the perpetually uninformed. You don't go to your preacher to have brain surgery performed. Why would you rely on right wing political blogs for your science?

In what alternative universe? Based on my belief? Oh, yeah, I'm a geologist, so far be it from me to claim to actually know anything about geology.

Geologists don't have a good explanation for how rotting plant and animal materials might turn into oil either.

So, it is the profits that have you concerned, not some concern for jobs, or harm to the environment. Profits. Got it. As for the abiotic origin of hydrocarbons, what LARGE BODY OF SCIENCE, where? Only a handful of people are pushing that hypothesis, and, not surprisingly, they've won the praise of Global warming deniers, and they certainly don't constitute a LARGE BODY OF SCIENCE. Indeed, in most main stream science publications, that hypothesis has not been well received at all.

This may come as a surprise to you, but the best and brightest don't work in government,and they don't depend on grant money for their daily bread. The best and brightest are out there making their own way and when a real opportunity to make money in alternative energy presents itself, innovation will happen. Not before.

As to abiotic oil. The russians are on the leading edge of that field of study and they have some pretty convincing studies and evidence. Big oil has some pretty deep pockets and great incentive to maintain the anxiety over peak oil. As climate science has shown, it can be pretty hard to get around a well financed fraud even if you have the truth on your side.

Most hydrocarbons break down at temperatures above 100 degrees C. Certainly every useful one (particularly the ones that occur naturally in large quantities) we know of does.

Really? Then you might like to explain the presence of methane deep inside jupiter and saturn where the temperatures are considerably higher than 100 degrees. You might also explain methane in the mantle of the earth.

http://www.eurekalert.org/features/doe/2005-08/drnl-tsf082205.php

CLIP:

By observing the frequency created when the electrons move or vibrate, scientists can tell how the elements are bonding to each other. Raman spectroscopy is highly sensitive to the stretching vibrations between carbon and hydrogen. The Raman spectra for the DAC samples showed hydrocarbon-rich regions.

The bond vibration between carbon and hydrogen becomes apparent in the spectra when the sample temperature reaches 500°C and is very strong by 600°C.

"According to our calculations, methane is thermodynamically stable at 500°C and at pressures up to 7 gigapascals," says Fried. "Those results indicate that methane reserves could possibly exist below Earth's surface with a half-life of millions of years." Although methane continued to form up to 1,500°C, the simulations showed that at higher temperatures, the carbon in calcite formed carbon dioxide rather than methane. The calculations also confirmed experimental results indicating the presence of magnetite."

http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v2/n8/abs/ngeo591.html

http://geology.com/press-release/mantle-hydrocarbons/

http://www.pnas.org/content/101/39/14023.full

I won't bother to post the material from the russians as you seem to have disregarded it already. The fact that mainstream sources are acknowledging the posibility and experimental evidence supports the theory, it won't be long before, like climate science, the "consensus" will either break down, or disappear as more and more inarguable evidence presents itself.

It is going to run out.

You say that as if it were fact. Prove it.

It is a finite resource.

Again, prove it.

And when it does, what then? You people have fought tooth and nail against any efforts to come up with alternatives. So when the cars stop moving, and the lights go out, who are you going to blame? Us "libs"? Good luck with that.

There is no fighting against innovation when the necessity arises. Thus far, it hasn't and governemnt can't create a necessity where none exists.

Not originally. Originally it was just some guys tinkering in a shop. It wasn't until Henry fFord standardized the assembly line that mass production of automobiles became possible. No one is asking the government to be entrepreneurial. The government is not entrepreneurial with regard to research grants for medicine, and yet the advances due to government assistence have been phenomenal.

The big advances don't come from governent or as a result of government. You guys who believe government is the answer to anything have your heads on wrong. Government isn't the solution to problems, government is the problem.

Tomrrow's energy sector is already taking shape.

Pipe dreams. Expensive, innefficient, doomed. You have no idea what the future energy sector will look like because no profit motive exist to generate the innovations. Your pictures are the result of billions of dollars spent by second and third rate government funded hacks. You will know it when you see real innovation.

Best minds? Do they have names?

You claim some scientific education. Do the math. It isn't difficult.

Obviously, those are your words, not mine. Whoever massaged the graph you posted didn't do a very good job of it. The graph I posted came straight from the scientists who drilled the core and analyzed it. Next.

Where do you see evidence of "massaging". Be specific.

Look the best? Did you even bother to research that graph to wsee if it was valid, or what was it's source?

Yes I did. And yes, I compared them to various raw graphs and found no appreciable difference. Do feel free to provide your analysis if you like. Where, exactly do you find problems?

My political philosophy is conservative. That has nothing to do with my philosophy as a scientist. Proof convinces me. Hypothesis supported by strong observed evidence impresses me. Pop pseudoscience attempting to dress up as science and spewed by folks who lack the education to grasp the foundational problems with the pseudoscience they are spewing doesn't impress me in the least.

People who can't support their climate beliefs who engage in ad hominem and circumstantial ad hominem attacks in lieu of defending their postion impress me even less. You want to talk science, lets talk. You want to paint with a broad brush, you are wasting your time and mine as it is no more and no less than so much mental masturbation.

OK, fair enough.

My contention in this thread was that it is conservatives, or at least those calling themselves that, who are questioning the theories of global climate change, of relativity, and of evolution.

Not to get into rehashing the merits of any of those three theories, are you confirming my argument that it is conservatives that are rejecting them?

If so, why do you think that is? Personally, I fail to see any connection between political philosophy and acceptance of established scientific theories.

Personally, I fail to see any connection between political philosophy and acceptance of established scientific theories.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.!!!!!!!

The global warming movement is a Marxist one. I know you can't see that, but try to follow me here.

Those behind the movement want Marxism to take control of all the world. They want us all to return to hunter gatherer status. That is their solution to the so called global warming BS. So, can you see why freedom loving individuals (conservatives) were skeptical from the start and now know it is total BS?

And Pale thanks for those great posts. I doubt the libs can understand them though.

OK, fair enough.

My contention in this thread was that it is conservatives, or at least those calling themselves that, who are questioning the theories of global climate change, of relativity, and of evolution.

As a conservative, I am cautious. Not to the point of staying in my house for fear of an asteroid falling on my head, but I tend to think things through to their logical conclusions. In my political leanings, I tend not to jump on a bandwagon because it feels good. I look at the issue, the proposal, and try to think the result out to a logical conclusion.

There was a time (probably before you were born) when some liberals did the same sort of thinking. Take welfare for example. I completely agreed at the time and today with an essay that Patrick Moynihan wrote in the 1960's in which he accurately predicted the generational dependence on government and the destruction of the black family that would result if government paid young single women when they became pregnant. Anyone who thought the proposal through would have came to the same conclusions if they posessed any sort of intelligence at all.

Do you believe that I am a genius because I accurately predicted the eventual outcome of the midnight basketball program? My bet is that you could have made the same prediction had you been able to get past the feel good aspect of the program and divorced yourself from the emotional aspects of the program that appealed to you.

In my science, I am cautious as well. I don't randomly throw items in a beaker hoping for a good outcome. I apply my knowledge of the subject to the problem and research where my knowledge is lacking. I don't buy into climate change because the facts don't support the hypothesis. There are too many holes in the science, too many very basic, fundamental questions regarding the climate that to date, climate science can't answer.

For example, they do not know whether the net climate feedbacks are negative or positive. That is foundational information and till they can answer the basic questions, they are just guessing on the more complicated issues. Climate science can not accurately describe and prove how energy moves through the system. Again, foundational knowledge and they simply don't know. Till they can answer the basic questions, I am afraid that I simply have no faith in their ability to describe the more complex aspects of the climate.

The theory of relativity? I am not a physicist and have never really considered the subject deeply. If someone asks me to alter my lifestyle in some drastic manner on the basis of relativity, I am sure that I will begin my research and I will be happy to let you know what I think then.

Evolution? I have no problem at all with microevolution. One only need look at dogs and cats, livestock and communities of animals that have existed for generations isolated from other members of their species. We can see microevolution at work all around us.

Macroevolution, on the other hand presents some problems. The theory raises far more questions than it can answer and any theory that does that has a problem. There is no hard evidence of a member of one species spontaneously becoming an entirely new species.

The issue of the origin of life is even more difficult for those who hold a religious sort of belief in evolution. Any explanation of the origin of life must depend on natural and repeatable processes. There exists no rational description of any such process.

If you buy macroevolution, then you must buy abiogenesis. Abiogenesis is the belief that life can originate from non-living substances through purely natural processes. If the theory of abiogenesis is false, then the theory of macroevolution is false. Accoding to the theory, a living cell spontaneously arose from non living substances. How did that first cell come into being with a developed and intact mechanism for metabolism, much less the terribly complex mechanisms for cell division which would have been required in order for the first cell to not go extinct very soon after its creation?

On top of that, there is no satisfactory explanation as to how these single cell organisms organised into multicellular organisms in which each cell has specific and critical function.

In short, there aren't enough answers to entice me into belief in the theory. That position is subject to change as more information becomes available. Ditto with my postion on climate change. At present, the more information that becomes available, the less inclined I am to buy into the hypothesis.

Not to get into rehashing the merits of any of those three theories, are you confirming my argument that it is conservatives that are rejecting them?

I suppose you could make a case that because they are more conservative in thier thinking that conservatives are less likely to fall for a hoax. Most of the conservatives that I know are of the evidence based sort and unless you can show them a body of evidence that outweighs their own analysis, you won't get far. If you have the evidence, however, a conservative is proably the easiest to convince.

It is your lack of evidence, that has you frustrated with conservatives. If you had evidence to support your claims, convincing us would be easy. You are just mad because we aren't the "jump on the bandwagon" sort and it is an impediment to your overall goals.

If so, why do you think that is? Personally, I fail to see any connection between political philosophy and acceptance of established scientific theories.

That is because in this, like most everyting else, you haven't looked deeply enough into the issue. You are looking for a superficial answer to a very complex question. Most liberals are the type who accept superficial solutions to very difficult issues. It is why liberals are known as the kings of unintended consequences. Climate change is a prime example. You accept that CO2 is the culprit even though earth's history demonstrates clearly that it isn't. Temperatures have been lower with higher atmospheric CO2 concentrations and temperatures have been higher with lower CO2 concentrations. Rather than look at the fact that CO2 doesn't fit the historical bill as a climate maker, you accept that it is the culprit because of the feel good politics attached to climate change, not because of any hard, observed evidence of the cause of climate change.

As a conservative, I am cautious. Not to the point of staying in my house for fear of an asteroid falling on my head, but I tend to think things through to their logical conclusions. In my political leanings, I tend not to jump on a bandwagon because it feels good. I look at the issue, the proposal, and try to think the result out to a logical conclusion.

There was a time (probably before you were born) when some liberals did the same sort of thinking. Take welfare for example. I completely agreed at the time and today with an essay that Patrick Moynihan wrote in the 1960's in which he accurately predicted the generational dependence on government and the destruction of the black family that would result if government paid young single women when they became pregnant. Anyone who thought the proposal through would have came to the same conclusions if they posessed any sort of intelligence at all.

Do you believe that I am a genius because I accurately predicted the eventual outcome of the midnight basketball program? My bet is that you could have made the same prediction had you been able to get past the feel good aspect of the program and divorced yourself from the emotional aspects of the program that appealed to you.

In my science, I am cautious as well. I don't randomly throw items in a beaker hoping for a good outcome. I apply my knowledge of the subject to the problem and research where my knowledge is lacking. I don't buy into climate change because the facts don't support the hypothesis. There are too many holes in the science, too many very basic, fundamental questions regarding the climate that to date, climate science can't answer.

For example, they do not know whether the net climate feedbacks are negative or positive. That is foundational information and till they can answer the basic questions, they are just guessing on the more complicated issues. Climate science can not accurately describe and prove how energy moves through the system. Again, foundational knowledge and they simply don't know. Till they can answer the basic questions, I am afraid that I simply have no faith in their ability to describe the more complex aspects of the climate.

The theory of relativity? I am not a physicist and have never really considered the subject deeply. If someone asks me to alter my lifestyle in some drastic manner on the basis of relativity, I am sure that I will begin my research and I will be happy to let you know what I think then.

Evolution? I have no problem at all with microevolution. One only need look at dogs and cats, livestock and communities of animals that have existed for generations isolated from other members of their species. We can see microevolution at work all around us.

Macroevolution, on the other hand presents some problems. The theory raises far more questions than it can answer and any theory that does that has a problem. There is no hard evidence of a member of one species spontaneously becoming an entirely new species.

The issue of the origin of life is even more difficult for those who hold a religious sort of belief in evolution. Any explanation of the origin of life must depend on natural and repeatable processes. There exists no rational description of any such process.

If you buy macroevolution, then you must buy abiogenesis. Abiogenesis is the belief that life can originate from non-living substances through purely natural processes. If the theory of abiogenesis is false, then the theory of macroevolution is false. Accoding to the theory, a living cell spontaneously arose from non living substances. How did that first cell come into being with a developed and intact mechanism for metabolism, much less the terribly complex mechanisms for cell division which would have been required in order for the first cell to not go extinct very soon after its creation?

On top of that, there is no satisfactory explanation as to how these single cell organisms organised into multicellular organisms in which each cell has specific and critical function.

In short, there aren't enough answers to entice me into belief in the theory. That position is subject to change as more information becomes available. Ditto with my postion on climate change. At present, the more information that becomes available, the less inclined I am to buy into the hypothesis.

I suppose you could make a case that because they are more conservative in thier thinking that conservatives are less likely to fall for a hoax. Most of the conservatives that I know are of the evidence based sort and unless you can show them a body of evidence that outweighs their own analysis, you won't get far. If you have the evidence, however, a conservative is proably the easiest to convince.

It is your lack of evidence, that has you frustrated with conservatives. If you had evidence to support your claims, convincing us would be easy. You are just mad because we aren't the "jump on the bandwagon" sort and it is an impediment to your overall goals.

That is because in this, like most everyting else, you haven't looked deeply enough into the issue. You are looking for a superficial answer to a very complex question. Most liberals are the type who accept superficial solutions to very difficult issues. It is why liberals are known as the kings of unintended consequences. Climate change is a prime example. You accept that CO2 is the culprit even though earth's history demonstrates clearly that it isn't. Temperatures have been lower with higher atmospheric CO2 concentrations and temperatures have been higher with lower CO2 concentrations. Rather than look at the fact that CO2 doesn't fit the historical bill as a climate maker, you accept that it is the culprit because of the feel good politics attached to climate change, not because of any hard, observed evidence of the cause of climate change.

You accurately predicted the outcome of the welfare state. Good for you, but why only black families? Don't whites get welfare payments as well?

A couple of observations about your post:

1. You confirmed my position that it is those calling themselves "conservatives" who tend to question established scientific theories, and gave an explanation of why that might be. If "conservatives" are less likely to fall for a hoax, you might want to say something about Gipper's assertion that climate change is a way to make Marxism to take control of all the world, or perhaps for all to return to hunter gatherer status. Either of those beliefs certainly requires a high degree of gullibility, don't you think?

2. Biologists make no distinction between micro and macro evolution. It is a part of the same process. Creationists like to use micro evolution, as there is really no way to deny it.

Usually, people who attempt to stand reason on its head to deny evolution erroneously believe that evolution and god are opposing concepts. Is that your position?

3. There is no connection between evolution and abiogenesis. The first has been proven correct, the second is still in doubt.

4. Global climate change is a theory. As such, it has been proven until and unless new facts not now in evidence are found. That said climate change is due to human activities is an hypothesis, not proven, but an idea that fits all of the facts.

I'm not going to try to discuss the theory of relativity, as it depends on higher mathematics than I've ever mastered. It is just interesting that self described conservatives want to try to refute that one, too, whether or not they possess the level of mathematical skills to understand it at more than a very basic level.

You accurately predicted the outcome of the welfare state. Good for you, but why only black families? Don't whites get welfare payments as well?

A couple of observations about your post:

1. You confirmed my position that it is those calling themselves "conservatives" who tend to question established scientific theories, and gave an explanation of why that might be. If "conservatives" are less likely to fall for a hoax, you might want to say something about Gipper's assertion that climate change is a way to make Marxism to take control of all the world, or perhaps for all to return to hunter gatherer status. Either of those beliefs certainly requires a high degree of gullibility, don't you think?

Obama is a Secret Muslim, Marxist, Terrorist, Not Born in America with a Fake Social Secrutiy number....but no they would never buy a hoax ( trickle down economics?)

Can you find posts by anyone identifying themselves as moderate, liberal, libertarian, or something besides conservative has attempted to reject any of the above theories?
You are not offering anything to validate your claim.

PLC, can you quote any Conservative poster who has claimed that Conservatives must reject GTR in order to be considered Conservative?

Conservatives, please chime in here... Would any of you claim that Conservatives must reject GTR in order to be considered Conservative?

Whether the Conservatives here support or reject GTR is not at issue. It is only whether or not Conservatives consider rejection of GTR a prerequisite to being considered a Conservative that has any bearing on the claim being made.

You are not offering anything to validate your claim.

PLC, can you quote any Conservative poster who has claimed that Conservatives must reject GTR in order to be considered Conservative?

Conservatives, please chime in here... Would any of you claim that Conservatives must reject GTR in order to be considered Conservative?

Whether the Conservatives here support or reject GTR is not at issue. It is only whether or not Conservatives consider rejection of GTR a prerequisite to being considered a Conservative that has any bearing on the claim being made.

Now, you've put your finger on what I'm trying to get at. I've shown that self described conservatives do reject those three scientific theories, but is it really a part of conservative thought?

If someone were to describe themselves as a conservative, then support global climate change theory, evolution, and relativity, would they be believable as conservatives, or would they be considered moderates, perhaps, or middle of the roaders, maybe even liberals in drag? What do you think?

Could a conservative support basic science and still be considered to be conservative?

Werbung:
What do you think?
First and foremost, I'm a Capitalist. I believe government should be strictly limited to protecting the individual rights of all it's citizens equally and it should operate within the fiscal limitations of it's revenue. There are certain areas where I agree with Conservatives and other areas where we disagree....

Please explain how my acceptance, or rejection, of GTR would have any bearing on my stated political beliefs.

Could a conservative support basic science and still be considered to be conservative?
Are you suggesting that complex and theoretical scientific theories such as GTR and MMGW constitute "basic" science?

Back