Solution to the oil problem

Werbung:
Again, why are people preferring the production of steam from radiation to run turbines instead of pre-existing steam from geothermal wells? There is no logic. Nuclear plants are MORE EXPENSIVE to build, maintain; their sister industries, mining of uranium, transportation and waste storage of radioactive toxic waste are vastly expensive. They are TERRORIST TARGEST. Imagine the destruction if the twin towers were instead nuclear reactors? Hmmm?

So which is it that you folks prefer in nuclear over geothermal? Is it the fact that it's more expensive? More dangerous? More toxic? Bigger terrorist worry? Which of these things that sets nuclear apart from geothermal, both of which use the same steam-driven turbine technology, is it that you are hopelessly in love with?

Is it that it is trickier to produce steam with radiation, so the prices can be manipulated with less explanations??

You tell us.

How much energy does the US use per year?
How much could be produced through geothermal per year?

You tell us.

How much energy does the US use per year?
How much could be produced through geothermal per year?
nukemapweb.jpg
Source: http://www.nmcco.com/education/facts/general/general_home.htm

We have 103 licensed nuclear plants, mainly in the eastern half of the US.

2957.94 MW of geothermal power are in current use. Alaska, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico and Utah are the only states with geothermal plants. And of those, California ranks highest in MW output. Many of the plants though are small and not taking advantage of the existing potential. All of just these states are grossly underexploited for geothermal resources.

Source: http://www.geo-energy.org/publications/reports/Geothermal_Update_August_7_2008_FINAL.pdf

The comparison between the two is indeed laughable. Now lets look at the geothermal potential map, the POTENTIAL geothermal map of the western half of the US.

Geothermalmap.jpg

Yes, the whole point is that we need more geothermal plants, as many as nuclear, to make an accurate comparison. So let's get busy and bring the number of geothermal plants up to 103 nationwide and we'll do an accurate side-by-side comparison.

And of course it won't be a simple comparison, we will have to take into account the total actual costs of both types of power generation, including mining, if any, transportation, if any, safety, management, development and waste disposal, if any vs output and benefit to US citizens..

Then we can all make intelligent decisions. Since geothermal is so benign, we should already be at work bringing the number of plants up to at least 103 at full potential for the study proposed..

You do want it to be a fair comparison eh? ;)

Sihouette can't do a comparison becasue she has no idea how much geothermal it would take to produce a megawatt. She thinks megawatt is a term used for Meg's grandfather who is hard of hearing.

Whhhaaaattttt you say Meg?

Sihouette can't do a comparison becasue she has no idea how much geothermal it would take to produce a megawatt. She thinks megawatt is a term used for Meg's grandfather who is hard of hearing.

Whhhaaaattttt you say Meg?

I thought that Sil.. was very courteous in her last post, which is more than I can say for you.

nukemapweb.jpg
Source: http://www.nmcco.com/education/facts/general/general_home.htm

We have 103 licensed nuclear plants, mainly in the eastern half of the US.

2957.94 MW of geothermal power are in current use. Alaska, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico and Utah are the only states with geothermal plants. And of those, California ranks highest in MW output. Many of the plants though are small and not taking advantage of the existing potential. All of just these states are grossly underexploited for geothermal resources.

Source: http://www.geo-energy.org/publications/reports/Geothermal_Update_August_7_2008_FINAL.pdf

The comparison between the two is indeed laughable. Now lets look at the geothermal potential map, the POTENTIAL geothermal map of the western half of the US.

Geothermalmap.jpg

Yes, the whole point is that we need more geothermal plants, as many as nuclear, to make an accurate comparison. So let's get busy and bring the number of geothermal plants up to 103 nationwide and we'll do an accurate side-by-side comparison.

And of course it won't be a simple comparison, we will have to take into account the total actual costs of both types of power generation, including mining, if any, transportation, if any, safety, management, development and waste disposal, if any vs output and benefit to US citizens..

Then we can all make intelligent decisions. Since geothermal is so benign, we should already be at work bringing the number of plants up to at least 103 at full potential for the study proposed..

You do want it to be a fair comparison eh? ;)

That is just more complicated than it needs to be.

First question: how much energy does the US need?
Answer:

The US currently uses about 100 "quads of energy a year. A quad is equal to 1x1018 Joules. So we need to generate 1020 Joules a year. If we assume (incorrectly, but this is only an order of magnitude calculation) that power demand is constant, then we need to produce 1012 Watts of power.
A nuclear power plant produces about 1000 MW of powers, so we require 1000 nuclear reactors."

Said differently:

"The US uses power at an average rate of about 4.1 terawatts, i.e. about 4100 gigawatts. A big nuclear reactor produces about 1 gigawatt."

Yes there are differences, big deal, this is just a forum. Let's at least start with an estimate.

Second question: How much energy can geothermal produce?

You just don't like the truth in my name. Get together with libs and try again to have it censored.

Actually I had forgotten about your insulting name. I was just commenting on your insulting post. Between your name, your insult of Sil. just now and your joking about tossing babies in trash cans you are batting a thousand.

I do not think people are listening to you, but laughing at you...

But perhaps you are you trying for that canadian humor? If you are, I think you should study it a bit better.....

Could be but I haven't said anything as funny as your beaver dam story that backed up the river for 40 miles. Are you a dirty little murican liar?

I thought that Sil.. was very courteous in her last post, which is more than I can say for you.

Sil has always been very decent in posting. Very bold in what was said. I admire that. I even find there are good points to be made, both in the value of Geothermal power, and in specific aspects of certain legislation passed.

Nevertheless, can't find the slightest shred of logic to be found in some of the theories stated. They are pretty crazy illogical stuff.

But credit where credit is due. You can tell Sil does not lie that this is what Sil believes, which is more than some who I know just say things to be contrary. And I have yet to see posts that are glorified ad homin. Kudos for that.

If only Sil would think through some of the conclusions made a bit better.

Werbung:
Medication is delicate, you have to take it at the right time. Your mental health is nothing to mess around with.

Yes, you're right, you're right and I take my lithium regulary every day but the urge to **** still comes upon me. Please help me oh wise and thoughtful american beaver dam wrecker. Tell me where you live and what your real name is because I want to come to you for help. I'm safe to be around at least half the time.

Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Back