Peaceful coexistence between scientists and theologians

kowalskil

I would very much like to know what people on this website think about peaceful coexistence between those who study our material world (scientists) and those who study our spiritual world (theologians). My attempt to write an essay on that subject failed, as you can see at:

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/theology3.html

The webpage was prepared to generate a discussion. Those who post comments should refer to specific “contributions,” as numbered (or to specific persons, as numbered at the beginning). This will simplify the discussion.

And let us keep in mind that the main topic is peaceful coexistence. Is it possible? Is it desirable? What should we do promote it? etc.

Thank you in advance,

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

Werbung:
To state a question of Peaceful coexistence between scientists and theologians, implies that there is an equal dissonance between them now. Most scientists are too preoccupied with the search for scientific truths to take part in, such a debate. If science found evidence of God, they would surely incorporate it into current scientific thinking. That is what science does.

The dissonance usually comes from believers who are unhappy with the theories, postulations, and/or results of the scientific search for truth i.e., when it contradicts with church dogma. In short, the dissonance comes from the theologians for the most part.

There can be peaceful co-existence between these two groups so long as both respect each other and follow their own codes of conduct well. Any system that does both of these can flourish. If any conflicts are to arise between them, they must be grounded in legal reasons, much like the US Marine Corp had in Half-Life when they sent in their soldiers to kill Freeman and the scientists.

Other than this, yes, let there be order through peaceful co-existence.

There are a number of scientists who have had their faith improved or awakened by their research. I don't think science, in and of itself, demands unbelief.

(Hi everyone, its been awhile)

Thank you for asking the question. It is interesting.

Yes, it is very possible. Most scientists are religious people and the number of religious people that are scientists is probably not all that different than in the general population.

When they groups are not the same - for example when it is a scientist who is also an atheist or a religious person who is not a scientist they do get along more often than not. I haven't seen stats on that but it is my opinion.

But those that do not get along are vocal and hog all the media attention.

Both cannot be right.

(a) According to Dothermit, "The dissonance usually comes from believers."

(b) According to Dogtowner, it comes mainly for those who worship science.

Who is closer to the truth? To find out I browsed the Internet today.

I found several good illustrations in support of (b) but non in support of (a).

Please help me to find an attack of a theist on an atheist. I am still trying to write an article based on the Internet statements.

Thank you in advance,

Ludwik

I would very much like to know what people on this website think about peaceful coexistence between those who study our material world (scientists) and those who study our spiritual world (theologians). My attempt to write an essay on that subject failed, as you can see at:

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/theology3.html

The webpage was prepared to generate a discussion. Those who post comments should refer to specific “contributions,” as numbered (or to specific persons, as numbered at the beginning). This will simplify the discussion.

And let us keep in mind that the main topic is peaceful coexistence. Is it possible? Is it desirable? What should we do promote it? etc.

Thank you in advance,

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

There shouldn't be any conflict.

The root of all evil, imho, that which is the source of the greatest of human follies is -- STUPIDITY. There exists in most people today a profound ignorance about the things they zealously profess -- whether science or theology.

There is no conflict between science and theology. There is a conflict between some people's dogma and known scientific facts, but none between theology and science.

In don't believe the problems are with Science..Our problems are with skeptics..Most skeptics take pride in their intellectual ability and like to think that they have no "beliefs." However, modern science has shown us that everyone has beliefs, since this is how our brains work. A good introduction to this field can be found in Andrew Newberg's book, Why We Believe What We Believe: Uncovering Our Biological Need for Meaning, Spirituality, and Truth. Although we would like to think that everything we believe is based upon evidence and logic, this is simply not true. In fact, we become emotionally bound to our worldview,(both sides) so much so that worldview changes occur rarely, if at all.

regards
doug

There is no conflict between science and theology. There is a conflict between some people's dogma and known scientific facts, but none between theology and science.

Perhaps it would be less biased to say there is conflict between one persons thinking and another persons thinking.

Not all religious thinking is dogma and not all of what passes for science represents known facts. Some scientists can be pretty dogmatic and some religionists can be pretty flexible.

In don't believe the problems are with Science..Our problems are with skeptics..Most skeptics take pride in their intellectual ability and like to think that they have no "beliefs." However, modern science has shown us that everyone has beliefs, since this is how our brains work. A good introduction to this field can be found in Andrew Newberg's book, Why We Believe What We Believe: Uncovering Our Biological Need for Meaning, Spirituality, and Truth. Although we would like to think that everything we believe is based upon evidence and logic, this is simply not true. In fact, we become emotionally bound to our worldview,(both sides) so much so that worldview changes occur rarely, if at all.

regards
doug

A Tale of Two Skeptics (worth reading)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentis...templeton-prize-god-wars?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Werbung:
Back