My thought for the day:

dogtower WHile in theory using bombs or poisoning water supply is possible they are rarely used in the developed world. Only poison was in London and most bombs did not kill many. te USA and other developed countries have ways of identifying and disarming bombs. KILLing by car is also difficult because of the balalrds installed in modern cities. Only guns are cheap and efficient.

Werbung:
dogtower WHile in theory using bombs or poisoning water supply is possible they are rarely used in the developed world. Only poison was in London and most bombs did not kill many. te USA and other developed countries have ways of identifying and disarming bombs. KILLing by car is also difficult because of the balalrds installed in modern cities. Only guns are cheap and efficient.
Tell that to Boston (bomb), car deaths exceed gun deaths and 66% of gun deaths are suicides.
They didnt used to fly planes into buildings until they did, once they figure out how easy poison is look out.

a method of killing works the first time because of the surprise, PLAnes have not flown into buidings more than onces despite their apparent success

No, it's not a sound argument, and is representative of a minority. You can expect emotions to run rampant for some people after a mass shooting.

That is a very common counter argument. I would guess that any new gun laws consistent with the second amendment will not eliminate mass shootings. So, arguments that this or that law will not solve the problem is avoiding the problem.

What I think should happen is that gun buyers should licensed like cars. You can't buy a new or used car from a dealer or private transaction without filing registration papers with the government. There is a readily available database of cars and owners so that stolen vehicles can be traced. Just like cars, the laws can't be enforced unless someone is caught without a license. In that case further penalties are in play. As I understand it, there is no computer database for guns; only a very incomplete and awkward paper trail to trace gun ownership. With cars, it is easy to trace interstate ownership.

Of course licensing and registration will not eliminate murder or mass shootings, but it will make it easier to apply further penalties for use of guns in felonies, and cause certain people to think twice about amassing weapons.

I had missed this reply - so I am late circling back to it.

But it sounds like you would push the idea of a gun registry essentially as the step we need to take at this point?

I had missed this reply - so I am late circling back to it.

But it sounds like you would push the idea of a gun registry essentially as the step we need to take at this point?
There are many possible steps, but most are too late. A country-wide data base of guns should have been started long ago, but it is probably impossible to do now. The NRA has been violently against an electronic registry. It would aid in solving crimes when tracing the ownership of a gun in a crime should be done quickly.

There are many possible steps, but most are too late. A country-wide data base of guns should have been started long ago, but it is probably impossible to do now. The NRA has been violently against an electronic registry. It would aid in solving crimes when tracing the ownership of a gun in a crime should be done quickly.
Registering a firearm does not include ballistics, just a number. A lot of expense and for what ?

Registering a firearm does not include ballistics, just a number. A lot of expense and for what ?
So that, when a firearm is used in a crime, the owner can be identified. Unfortunately, that is not easy under current law. A searchable system would work, eventually, after enough guns were registered, but such a system is not legal in the USA.

check this out

To perform a search, ATF investigators must find the specific index number of a former dealer, then search records chronologically for records of the exact gun they seek. They may review thousands of images in a search before they find the weapon they are looking for. That’s because dealer records are required to be “non-searchable” under federal law. Keyword searches, or sorting by date or any other field, are strictly prohibited.

So that, when a firearm is used in a crime, the owner can be identified. Unfortunately, that is not easy under current law. A searchable system would work, eventually, after enough guns were registered, but such a system is not legal in the USA.

check this out
It is hard to imagine any group wanting non-searchable records, but that's the NRA for you.

I AM NOW VISITING THE USA< THERE HAVE BEN MANY SHOOTINGS in THE LAke district nearSAN FRANCESICO< WEATR TOLD TO LOOKIF ANY ONE Has menta; probelemsWE DO NOTCARE ABOUT GINS AS EVERTHONR HAS A GUN

And this buys us what ?
The ATF’s Nonsensical Non-Searchable Gun Databases buys us nothing, of course. It just makes it a lot harder to solve crimes involving guns. If a gun owner sells a gun to someone who wouldn't be able to purchase one from a legitimate dealer, he doesn't have to worry about being an accessory before the fact.

The ATF’s Nonsensical Non-Searchable Gun Databases buys us nothing, of course. It just makes it a lot harder to solve crimes involving guns. If a gun owner sells a gun to someone who wouldn't be able to purchase one from a legitimate dealer, he doesn't have to worry about being an accessory before the fact.
So you are not interested in the criminal. Ok.

Werbung:
Back