Michele Bachmann officially leaves her church

Once again, I am not saying that "God ... wanted us to have sex ONLY when 'time is right for procreation.'" I am simply saying that morally licit sex is sex that is open to the possibility of conception, even if conception happens to be impossible for that couple or at that particular time.

You're actually suggesting that what is morally licit ought to be determined by the convenience of your laundry schedule?

Yes, they can -- by avoiding sex during fertile periods, or abstaining altogether.

I have not denied any of this. There is a unitive aspect to sex, as well.

All I'm saying is that the sex act, to be morally licit, must be intrinsically ordered toward procreation -- whether or not procreation happens to be possible at that moment.

First of all, what in the world has John Locke to do with this?

Second, I said just yesterday that John Locke was an idiot (the philosopher -- I dunno who you're talking about).

Third, I'm getting quite tired of your vapid emoting. I've done you the courtesy of engaging you at the level of adult thinking without resorting to petty sniping. You can at least reciprocate.

Well, with due respect, your idea of God is a figment of your imagination utterly unmoored in anything like a rational philosophical or theological understanding of the universe. He is the product of your whims and desires and emotions and your "conscience," not a studied and reasonable consideration of the facts.

And yes, I believe life is a good in its own right and not something to be discarded willy-nilly because you might not have as many material comforts as you wish. Yours is the ideology of abortionists and practitioners of euthanasia and utilitarian dictators. To Hell with it.

If you have nothing useful to contribute to this debate, you can at least recuse yourself from it with dignity, rather than resorting to such a disgraceful show of histrionics.

In the meantime, I'm going to continue puncturing holes in your ill-considered prejudices.

I am not making a religious argument but a philosophical one: First, that everything that exists can be said to have a purer "form" or "essence" in which it participates, and that the goodness of a thing is determined by the degree to which it instantiates this essence; second, that the human person also has an essence in which he participates, and therefore his goodness derives from how well he instantiates it; and third, that because man is partly a physical creature, that essence is necessarily partly informed by biology and evolution.

And biology and evolution make clear that the human sexual faculty serves the end of procreation.

And yet I've been making the argument for some time now, but I'll make it again:

If goodness consists in exercising one's faculties in a manner consistent with their telos, and if the human sexual faculty is oriented toward procreation, than morality demands that every sexual act be intrinsically open to life, even if procreation happens to be impossible for that couple or at that particular time. Simply because that is the essence of the sexual act, and goodness consists in exemplifying that essence.

You may be tired of my emoting. That's fair.

I am tired of your trying to impress everyone with your big words and big theological and philosophical theories as if they are the absolute only truth.

Try speaking like a human being, not like a theology text book. You are either in the seminary or you are a student in theology that is doing his "homework" by trying to explain the theories he is studying so that they can BEGIN to make sense to him! It reminds me of a boy friend I had, many, many years ago, who attended a boarding school ran by Jesuites. . . He sent me daily "love" letters who were full of "his" beliefs in God, and "his" theories about God's will for mankind!. . .I was about 2 years younger than he was, and I was soooo impressed by how articulate and "saintly" he was. . .I fell so embarrassed by my own, much simpler understanding of what God's desire was for my life achievement! . . . Until two years later, I was assigned the SAME readings from the SAME books he had been pledgerizing in those 4 to 5 pages daily letters! I was sooo glad I kept those "precious letters" wrapped up in a cigare box. . .Obviously, I aced that class!. . .after all, it was all a repetition of what I had "learned" from my boyfriends two years before!

I'm sorry, I am not impressed either with your "professional journals" rethoric, or your own view of what morality consists of.

In fact, I do not find much of what you are saying either relevant to real life, or very moral. My understanding and my relationship with my personal/universal God is my own, my right, and I find it a lot more satisfying, and a lot more liveable and nourishing to my life and the life of those around me than ANYTHING I ever learn from 18 years of Catholic school teaching! So, you keep your own ideas about "licit sex" and your "philosophies" and your "God," and I'll keep mine! At least, I know that mine has served me well (very well) in a 40 year long marriage!

Am I strange to find the idea of my husband ejaculating in the bed next to me because it "isn't time to procreate" ridiculous and even offensive? Does it have to do anything (or so little!) with "laundry?"

Well, If you think so. . . you probably, as I mentionned, don't have a wife. . .and probably never will!

God didn't create humankind with the only goal to procreate. In fact, if you believe in the genesis, he NEVER even thought of procreation before Adam and Eve "tasted of the apple!"

You may think you are very smart. . . you may even be in your own way. . .but, to me, you are freaky as religion and sexuality are concerned.

I believe this should cloture our discussion. Good luck finding your way to God, to happiness, and to love.

Werbung:
If it really works, then, why is it not as morally reprehensible as, say for example, the pill?

Because what matters is not (entirely) the outcome of the act; that's rank consequentialism. What matters is whether or not the act itself is ordered toward its end. And whether or not sex is ordered toward procreation depends on how well it instantiates the essence of human nature: that is, the nature of the sexual act.

Hence, unprotected penetrative vaginal intercourse is morally licit in and of itself whether or not procreation results, because it fully embodies the purpose of the sexual act.

Obviously I'm leaving out consideration of ancillary issues of will and custom, to avoid confusing the issue any further.

Actually, yes, it is true. If a young man goes long enough without an orgasm, either self induced or otherwise, then he will have an orgasm in his sleep. Well, not totally in his sleep, as it will wake him up.

Even if that were true, it would be completely irrelevant. With due respect, you're really grasping at straws here.

So, it's only a moral injunction if the individual helps it along a little?

Yes, the morality of an action is determined in part by what one wills. You cannot be held morally accountable for an action you did not will and could not prevent. They do not, for instance, throw you in jail if the brakes in your car suddenly and unexpectedly fail and you wind up in a car accident that kills another person. The same principle applies to moral law as it applies to civil law.

Your philosophy seems to me to lead to anxiety due to guilt over what is a biological function of the human body.

I suppose it would if you accept your distortions of it.

But the NFP actually works, and it is OK?

Correct.

Falsifiability does not mean that a thing is false, only that it can be proven false if, in fact, it is false. Any scientific hypothesis, even those supported by the evidence, are, in principle, falsifiable.

Yes, I understood that was what you meant. My argument is that falsifiability can occur if an axiom is tenuous. Axioms are statements that must be taken as an assumption (on faith perhaps). Axioms in math are assumptions that lead to useful tools in understanding systems. Euclidean geometry allows an axiom that leads to the existence of parallel lines. This proved not to be useful in explaining gravity, so the elimination of that axiom led to a system that allows Einstein's general theory of relativity.

So the crux of our arguments lie in whether I or anyone else accepts your axioms that underlie natural law.

At any rate, this is a useless diversion. Either I'm right or I'm wrong. Whether or not you approve of my tone is irrelevant.
No it isn't a diversion. It is the basis of our disagreements. My arrogance argument led you to state that you were correct in an absolute sense, and my argument is to say that your stance can be falsifiable if the axioms of your tenets are questionable. That takes the absoluteness out of your argument.

Well, both, but in that context, natural law specifically.

I don't believe any Catholic claims that God manages the ecology of the earth (Protestants might, but in my experience they are profoundly foolish people). But yes, the Unmoved Mover/First Cause argument is simply a proof for the existence of God and for certain aspects of His existence.
My understanding is that Catholics engage in prayer. If prayer is aimed at an intervention by God to prevent death or destruction, what is the use, if God does not manage ecology, etc.?

Natural law derives analogously from some of the same premises.
As I understand earlier posts, you claim the 5 proofs of T.A. are in a loose sense infallible and that God indeed exists. But natural law is falsifiable. So you don't have a proof that the God that Catholics pray to for some type of intervention exists.

I only brought up God in the first place because you asked what I believe the consequences are of living a life in defiance of natural law. As a Catholic, I believe the answer is you consign yourself to separation from God.

But you don't need to presuppose the existence of God to arrive at the conclusions of natural law -- which is why, prior to that, I had been making purely philosophical arguments. As I said previously, natural law philosophy predates the Church by centuries.
This is a summary of my stance:
1. The God of Aquinas's 5 proofs can not influence the physics of the evolution of events. Therefore He does not answer prayers.
2. Natural law is a system of behavioral laws that define morality or immorality and depend on axioms that may not be agreeable to everyone, and do not presuppose God exists.
3. Just who do Catholics pray to?

Lutherans have been at odds with the RCC for some time. Practicing Catholics can't vote for Obama given his stance on Abortion non-practicing ones, well, if they were of a mind to vote for him once they're liable to do it again.
Bad news, most catholics are doing just that "practicing" Catholism

Yes, I understood that was what you meant. My argument is that falsifiability can occur if an axiom is tenuous. Axioms are statements that must be taken as an assumption (on faith perhaps). Axioms in math are assumptions that lead to useful tools in understanding systems. Euclidean geometry allows an axiom that leads to the existence of parallel lines. This proved not to be useful in explaining gravity, so the elimination of that axiom led to a system that allows Einstein's general theory of relativity.

So the crux of our arguments lie in whether I or anyone else accepts your axioms that underlie natural law.

No it isn't a diversion. It is the basis of our disagreements. My arrogance argument led you to state that you were correct in an absolute sense, and my argument is to say that your stance can be falsifiable if the axioms of your tenets are questionable. That takes the absoluteness out of your argument.

My understanding is that Catholics engage in prayer. If prayer is aimed at an intervention by God to prevent death or destruction, what is the use, if God does not manage ecology, etc.?

As I understand earlier posts, you claim the 5 proofs of T.A. are in a loose sense infallible and that God indeed exists. But natural law is falsifiable. So you don't have a proof that the God that Catholics pray to for some type of intervention exists.

This is a summary of my stance:
1. The God of Aquinas's 5 proofs can not influence the physics of the evolution of events. Therefore He does not answer prayers.
2. Natural law is a system of behavioral laws that define morality or immorality and depend on axioms that may not be agreeable to everyone, and do not presuppose God exists.
3. Just who do Catholics pray to?
When I was Catholic, I prayed to any diety that would get me out of Mass and especially confession, Padre would actually time us on our Rosary. (Bastard gave me 5 rosarys for skipping Mass) Still, to this day, I have a great attraction to women in Catholic school girl uniforms. Go figure.

When I was Catholic, I prayed to any diety that would get me out of Mass and especially confession, Padre would actually time us on our Rosary. (Bastard gave me 5 rosarys for skipping Mass) Still, to this day, I have a great attraction to women in Catholic school girl uniforms. Go figure.

LOL the last two sentences cracked me up.

You would have liked me then!
And guess what. . .so did the priest!

Priest are not only attracted to little boys, you know?

Bad news, most catholics are doing just that "practicing" Catholism

Don't worry. . .many Catholics voted for Obama in 2008. I don't think the issue of abortion will be the one making a difference this time!

Catholics and Choice (in the Voting Booth)
By PETER STEINFELS
Published: November 7, 2008

"Anyone constructing a list of the big losers on Tuesday would probably include the nation’s Roman Catholic bishops. Will that fact be candidly addressed when the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops meets next week in Baltimore?
.After a presidential campaign in which it was widely perceived that the dominant message from the bishops was that Catholics were morally obliged not to vote for a candidate supporting abortion rights, exit polls show that Catholics voted 52 percent to 45 percent for Senator Barack Obama. That was seven percentage points more than the Catholic vote in 2004 for Senator John Kerry, a fellow Catholic"

You may think you are very smart. . . you may even be in your own way. . .but, to me, you are freaky as religion and sexuality are concerned.

I believe this should cloture our discussion. Good luck finding your way to God, to happiness, and to love.
That was a funny story about your old boy friend.

I learned decades ago that there is an important difference between learning and wisdom. Some have one, but not the other. I bow to those that have both.

Even if that were true, it would be completely irrelevant. With due respect, you're really grasping at straws here.

It is true. I know about young men. I used to be one, after all.

Yes, the morality of an action is determined in part by what one wills.

So, if one wills that no baby should result from intercourse, and prevents it in an acceptable way, then that's OK, but if the couple uses some other method, then it's not OK.

And if the non sexually active male resorts to self gratification, that's a sin, but if it happens on its own, it's OK, just so long as he doesn't help the process along in any way.

That is your philosophy, and you are welcome to it. To me, if an action is not harming anyone, then it is licit.

The harm comes when two people bring into this world a baby that they aren't ready to love and care for. Responsible sex dictates that, until such time as they are ready to love and care for a child, the best birth control is what has been proven most effective.

The same can be said for bringing into this world more babies than the couple can care for, either physically or emotionally.

You may be tired of my emoting. That's fair.

I am tired of your trying to impress everyone with your big words and big theological and philosophical theories as if they are the absolute only truth.

Try speaking like a human being, not like a theology text book. You are either in the seminary or you are a student in theology that is doing his "homework" by trying to explain the theories he is studying so that they can BEGIN to make sense to him! It reminds me of a boy friend I had, many, many years ago, who attended a boarding school ran by Jesuites. . . He sent me daily "love" letters who were full of "his" beliefs in God, and "his" theories about God's will for mankind!. . .I was about 2 years younger than he was, and I was soooo impressed by how articulate and "saintly" he was. . .I fell so embarrassed by my own, much simpler understanding of what God's desire was for my life achievement! . . . Until two years later, I was assigned the SAME readings from the SAME books he had been pledgerizing in those 4 to 5 pages daily letters! I was sooo glad I kept those "precious letters" wrapped up in a cigare box. . .Obviously, I aced that class!. . .after all, it was all a repetition of what I had "learned" from my boyfriends two years before!

I'm sorry, I am not impressed either with your "professional journals" rethoric, or your own view of what morality consists of.

In fact, I do not find much of what you are saying either relevant to real life, or very moral. My understanding and my relationship with my personal/universal God is my own, my right, and I find it a lot more satisfying, and a lot more liveable and nourishing to my life and the life of those around me than ANYTHING I ever learn from 18 years of Catholic school teaching! So, you keep your own ideas about "licit sex" and your "philosophies" and your "God," and I'll keep mine! At least, I know that mine has served me well (very well) in a 40 year long marriage!

Am I strange to find the idea of my husband ejaculating in the bed next to me because it "isn't time to procreate" ridiculous and even offensive? Does it have to do anything (or so little!) with "laundry?"

Well, If you think so. . . you probably, as I mentionned, don't have a wife. . .and probably never will!

God didn't create humankind with the only goal to procreate. In fact, if you believe in the genesis, he NEVER even thought of procreation before Adam and Eve "tasted of the apple!"

Yes, you keep patting yourself on the back for how wise, tolerant, and compassionate you are, while libeling everyone you disagree with as a sexless plagiarist.

I really wish that flatulent rant would be the last of our discussion but I have a nagging feeling you'll come back, so I'll hold off on the well-wishing for now.

The axioms here are relatively simple: that everything which exists in nature participates in some form or essence; that a thing can be said to be good which most fully instantiates that form or essence; and that, in the case of man, his form or essence is necessarily informed in part by biology.

A good example of the first would be the fact that we can identify as a rolling, cushioned computer chair and a wooden rocking chair as both being "chairs" despite their differences.

A good example of the second would be, as I mentioned previously, the fact that we use the word "good" to refer to all manners of things that are goal-directed. For instance, a "good dog" is a loyal, obedient companion. A "good pen" is one that writes very well. A "good chair" is one that's exceptionally comfortable, supports your weight, etc. In each case, the "goodness" of the object is measured against an objective consideration of the object's telos: its natural goal-directedness. In the above example, the pen's goodness stems from how well suited it is to writing, since the telos of a pen is writing. Thus, a "good" pen is one that I can hold in my hand easily, that writes smooth, clear, dark lines, etc.

A good example of the third should be obvious. We already make value judgments about aspects of human biology in evolution, which is why we identify some evolutionary mutations as adaptive and some as maladaptive. This would not be possible if we did not have an idea of what objective end evolution is serving, which is, of course, survival of the fittest.

All of this is a purely academic discussion, of course, since I don't mean to say that a pen or a chair can be "good" in a moral sense. Morality is simply the application of these principles to human behavior.

All of this is why I said earlier that natural law furnishes the only objective basis for discerning a moral law -- the only basis situated outside the individual.

No, your arrogance argument led me to state that your arrogance argument is useless without a demonstration that I'm wrong, which you haven't provided.

You can't, of course, because I'm not. You can say that's arrogance if you like, but again, the label only sticks if I'm actually wrong. There's nothing arrogant about asserting the truth in the face of those that deny it.

Wait, when you said earlier, "I do not believe in a god that micromanages our lives, or saves us, or listens to prayers," were you saying that you don't believe God does those things, or that you don't believe in God at all? I assumed it was the latter, so I didn't bother to address your statement re: prayer.

As it happens I don't believe God micromanages lives, either. That's a Protestant superstition for the most part, and to the extent it exists in Catholic Churches, it's because the Church has done a terrible job catechizing people since Vatican II.

A useful definition of prayer can be found in the Catholic Encyclopedia:

An act of the virtue of religion which consists in asking proper gifts or graces from God. In a more general sense it is the application of the mind to Divine things, not merely to acquire a knowledge of them but to make use of such knowledge as a means of union with God. This may be done by acts of praise and thanksgiving, but petition is the principal act of prayer.

In other words, prayer is a means of establishing what Wikipedia calls "volitional rapport" with God -- of molding your will to His. You don't ask God for Christmas presents or whatever; that's borderline sacrilege. You ask Him for grace, for forgiveness, for courage, etc.; things that are proper to ask of Him.

I don't believe that God is a God of material comfort or happiness or well-being or even safety. In fact, to the extent that material comfort and happiness and well-being and even safety are impediments to man knowing God (his highest calling), it would be better that man have none of them. That is probably not a very popular conception of God, but it's the conception that remains once you strip away all the Protestant nonsense, which reduces God to the level of a Saddam Hussein/Santa Clause hybrid running some kind of cosmic Hellenistic despotism.

Again, the intervention Catholics pray for is somewhat different than the intervention you probably have in mind.

There are intermediate proofs that go from the Thomist Five Ways to the Christian conception of God. They are far more detailed than I can hope to recount here (i.e., I'm still learning them), but I'll be happy to look up some references later if you like.

It is true. I know about young men. I used to be one, after all.

That's rather inductive.

So, if one wills that no baby should result from intercourse, and prevents it in an acceptable way, then that's OK, but if the couple uses some other method, then it's not OK.

And if the non sexually active male resorts to self gratification, that's a sin, but if it happens on its own, it's OK, just so long as he doesn't help the process along in any way.

Yes, some actions are intrinsically disordered and some are only disordered when the will that brings them about is disordered. Certain sex acts (contraception, sodomy, masturbation, etc.) would be an example of an act that's intrinsically disordered because it subverts the procreative nature of the sexual act. Gluttony would be an example of a behavior that is made sinful merely by virtue of defective will: the impulse to eat food is healthy, after all, but the will to continue eating beyond satiation simply because one enjoys the taste of food is disordered.

I understand it's complicated.

That is your philosophy, and you are welcome to it. To me, if an action is not harming anyone, then it is licit.

What do you believe constitutes "harm" and why should we avoid it?

The harm comes when two people bring into this world a baby that they aren't ready to love and care for. Responsible sex dictates that, until such time as they are ready to love and care for a child, the best birth control is what has been proven most effective.

If you believe the purpose of life is to maximize pleasure and minimize pain, then you're a utilitarian and there's clearly no reasoning with you.

I would simply assert that, under natural law, the responsible thing to do would be to abstain from sex altogether, or to have sex only during infertile periods, not to intentionally subvert the sexual act merely so you can gratify your lust without consequence.

That's rather inductive.

Yes, some actions are intrinsically disordered and some are only disordered when the will that brings them about is disordered. Certain sex acts (contraception, sodomy, masturbation, etc.) would be an example of an act that's intrinsically disordered because it subverts the procreative nature of the sexual act. Gluttony would be an example of a behavior that is made sinful merely by virtue of defective will: the impulse to eat food is healthy, after all, but the will to continue eating beyond satiation simply because one enjoys the taste of food is disordered.

I understand it's complicated.

What do you believe constitutes "harm" and why should we avoid it?

If you believe the purpose of life is to maximize pleasure and minimize pain, then you're a utilitarian and there's clearly no reasoning with you.

I would simply assert that, under natural law, the responsible thing to do would be to abstain from sex altogether, or to have sex only during infertile periods, not to intentionally subvert the sexual act merely so you can gratify your lust without consequence.

Sure, have sex only during infertile periods, and then you, too may have a pair of rhythm twins.

Werbung:
The axioms here are relatively simple: that everything which exists in nature participates in some form or essence; that a thing can be said to be good which most fully instantiates that form or essence; and that, in the case of man, his form or essence is necessarily informed in part by biology.

Thank you for posting the axioms. I have one problem when you say "...informed in part...," what do you mean by "informed?" Is that the common usage or a special philosophical usage. The common usage does not make sense to me.

No, your arrogance argument led me to state that your arrogance argument is useless without a demonstration that I'm wrong, which you haven't provided.

You can't, of course, because I'm not. You can say that's arrogance if you like, but again, the label only sticks if I'm actually wrong. There's nothing arrogant about asserting the truth in the face of those that deny it.
Your earlier statement,
"Either I'm right or I'm wrong. Whether or not you approve of my tone is irrelevant."
Seemed to be a concession that you were potentially wrong. I forgot what you were saying that you were right about. For now I will just say that any absolute statement of that nature in any philosophical argument is a philosophical arrogance unless the statement is clearly a logical tautology.

Wait, when you said earlier, "I do not believe in a god that micromanages our lives, or saves us, or listens to prayers," were you saying that you don't believe God does those things, or that you don't believe in God at all? I assumed it was the latter, so I didn't bother to address your statement re: prayer.

My beliefs are more along the lines of Pantheism if anything. (Do not confuse that with Paganism!) I don't consider that I believe in "God" because that term has too much baggage in all religions.

A useful definition of prayer can be found in the Catholic Encyclopedia:
An act of the virtue of religion which consists in asking proper gifts or graces from God. In a more general sense it is the application of the mind to Divine things, not merely to acquire a knowledge of them but to make use of such knowledge as a means of union with God. This may be done by acts of praise and thanksgiving, but petition is the principal act of prayer.

As you may have guessed, I don't believe in prayer in any sense. To me, the finest form of pantheistic "liturgy" is to study the laws of physics, but of course not everyone wants to expend that effort.

You ask Him for grace, for forgiveness, for courage, etc.; things that are proper to ask of Him.

I can understand grace and forgiveness in the Catholic definition of prayer because it is so ethereal, but I have a problem with courage, and "etc." because courage is asking for an alteration in the subgenual anterior cingulate cortex structure of your brain. (Sorry about that. The nature of consciousness and intelligence is one of my favorite hobbies. http://www.livescience.com/8342-brain-courage-center-located.html ) and that sounds like intervention to me.

But I will say that prayer can have a powerful placebo effect that will influence the brain.

I believe I have an alternate approach to the conclusions of natural law using your axioms, but I don't want to go into it until you clarify the third axiom above.

Back