Iran warnes US to not return carrier to Persian Gulf

You believe that our most likely miltary response to Iran will be limited to air strikes... What evidence has led you to this conclusion? Show us.

I believe that our most likely military response will be an invasion and that's based on the publicly available news articles, such as the one I posted, and our clear record in recent history for dealing with perceived threats through regime change and nation building.

Until we come to some agreement on that, do you believe there is any credibility to my suggestion that an Iraq style invasion of Iran could lead to the collapse of the United States government? I understand if you would not view that specific action as being the straw that finaly breaks our back but I think you're failing to consider the hay bail worth of straw that would inevitably land on our back as a result of that action.

Libya was about regime change and a made up stab at some sense of national security. Air campaign was ineffective in Afghanistan due to terrain, Iraq was a conscience choice pushed by a tank commander (Stormin Norman). Against a relatively weak military airwarfare can be highly effective. Moreover its cheap in relative terms and that would appeal to Capital Hill not to mention the public here.

Regarding nukes, those one associates with Japan in WWII won't happen but new directed ones (pointing down if you take my meaning) are quite possible. If they are seen to be needed. We do seem to have been busy making much more powerful bunker busters. Even if they are not enough to punch all the way down, they can probably put the buried sites out of reach from further use. Bury some scientists alive and you'll have a hard time recruiting replacements.

Werbung:
You believe that our most likely miltary response to Iran will be limited to air strikes... What evidence has led you to this conclusion? Show us.

I believe that our most likely military response will be an invasion and that's based on the publicly available news articles, such as the one I posted, and our clear record in recent history for dealing with perceived threats through regime change and nation building.

My belief is that we will undertake NO military action against Iran...however, the next likely scenario if we do, is the use of limited air strikes.

As for Iraq and Afghanistan, yes -- we went in full force and are nation building. However, the very next example of our involvement, we did the exact opposite -- I don't think you can discount that and arrive at your conclusion. It has to be a case by case basis, and it has to account for other factors -- ie political will etc. Following 9/11, Bush has the political will to basically do whatever he wanted -- that is gone -- and without it, it will be very hard even for someone who wants to invade Iran to bring the country along for that.

So, essentially, I arrive at the airstrike scenario as the next likely option because of the lack of political will to get involved in something like Iraq and Afghanistan right now.

Bush continually pushed Israel to take no action and Obama is doing the same thing:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...7074.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop

Why would we do this? Simple -- we will get blamed and retaliated against -- and no one wants to be drawn into that.

Additionally -- after the death count in Iraq, the President is not going to want to start a similar conflict in an election year. I have seen some reporting on Pentagon war games gaming out strike scenarios on Iran -- and in some of them, the outcome is horrible for the United States.

All of that aside -- you can get an idea if airstrikes are becoming a more viable option by looking at carrier deployments. You really need two carriers to be able to have a 24 hour on target capability -- and we recently moved a 2nd carrier to the region -- and the deployment changes seem to focus entirely on air force equipment and personnel. All of this does not speak to a sustained ground campaign -- and I have doubts we are going to take action unless in response to retaliation from Iran -- which I think will only occur should Israel strike Iran over our objections.

Until we come to some agreement on that, do you believe there is any credibility to my suggestion that an Iraq style invasion of Iran could lead to the collapse of the United States government? I understand if you would not view that specific action as being the straw that finaly breaks our back but I think you're failing to consider the hay bail worth of straw that would inevitably land on our back as a result of that action.

Well, I think if the argument is that "spending more money will ultimately collapse the country" then you can point to whatever you want that costs money and blame it as the cause.

That point is not being disputed. At issue is the unsupported claim that air strikes would be the full extent of our military involvement against Iran.

I liken it to Libya in that relative weakness of the other side and simple terrain do not require anything more. we have a specific purpose, end the threat, as opposed to other efforts in the area. capital hill won't support anything further.

BigRob, et al,

This is exactly the point.

We should not be a fair broker -- we should aggressively pursue our own interests.

(COMMENT)

The US Government (as opposed to a majority of the people) see itself as the "Leader of the Free World." But to be a good leader, the leader must work in the best interest of those they lead; the role of benevolent leader --- and not the king that merely looksout for himself.

Americans largely agree with the rest of the world: most do not think the United States should remain the world’s preeminent leader and prefer that it play a more cooperative role. They also believe United States plays the role of world policeman more than it should.
CCGA+_ViewsUS_graph2.jpg

If the US is to act, strictly in its own best interest, then it cannot and should not, play the role it has carved-out for itself.

CCGA+_ViewsUS_graph1.jpg
Palestinians (76%) are the most likely of the publics surveyed to answer that the United States does not have such a responsibility. The next most likely are Americans themselves. Three-quarters of Americans (75%) reject the idea that their country has a duty to enforce international law.
And in doing so, it has overstepped its authority and misused it military power and influence.

CCGA+_ViewsUS_graph3.jpg
Most damaging in all this is its reputation, which spawns terrorism against the US; and the catalyst for the lack of a return on any investment it makes.

In 10 out of 15 countries, the most common view is that the United States cannot be trusted to “act responsibly in the world.” Respondents were allowed to choose whether the United States could be trusted “a great deal,” “somewhat,” “not very much” or “not at all.”
CCGA+_ViewsUS_graph5.jpg
Both in politics and economic endeavors, it is important to constantly working toward improved relations. However, the US is becoming more involved in adversarial situations. This worsens the US position economically in a global economy that is become much more level and having such impact on America that it will no longer be able to support its only remaining influence: military force projection. Once America loses the capacity to project power, even Israel will no longer have need of America and turns its back on the US.

Most Respectfully,
R

Additionally -- after the death count in Iraq, the President is not going to want to start a similar conflict in an election year. I have seen some reporting on Pentagon war games gaming out strike scenarios on Iran -- and in some of them, the outcome is horrible for the United States.
The basis of my "bold claim" was an invasion of Iran, that's what Pocket and I were discussing in the post you quoted. At first you seemed interested in trying to understand how I could arrive at such a dire conclusion (a conclusion I'm sure some of the Pentagon war gamers also arrived at). You even asked what definition of "war" I was using and I told you. Rather than accept the definition I used and move forward on that conversation, you have been off on this tangent about how we're not going to have an actual war with Iran, just a few airstrikes (without acknowledging tthe slightest possibility of mission creep)... Maybe we disagree on the definition of war but that doesn't matter, you asked what definition I used to reach my conclusion, I told you, an yet here we are NOT talking about the subject I was discussing.

Now I tried to bring back up the topic I had originally broached by asking you what the result would be of an actual invasion into Iran, i.e. my definition of WAR: full invasion, regime change, insurgents, nation building, the whole nine yards... You declined to answer on the grounds that it can't/won't happen. My "bold claim" was based on the premise of that scenario, would your conclusion to that scenario be much different?

Well, I think if the argument is that "spending more money will ultimately collapse the country" then you can point to whatever you want that costs money and blame it as the cause.
Overspending is the cause, financial collapse is the effect. It would fallacious for anyone to point to any specific spending and try to claim that as the "cause" of the effect. So no, that's not what I was arguing when I said that an Iraq style invasion of Iran would lead to the collapse of the US government. Fact is, the US is already collapsing, an invasion of Iran would just hasten that collapse to a time frame within my lifetime.

BigRob, et al,

This is exactly the point.

(COMMENT)

The US Government (as opposed to a majority of the people) see itself as the "Leader of the Free World." But to be a good leader, the leader must work in the best interest of those they lead; the role of benevolent leader --- and not the king that merely looksout for himself.

If the US is to act, strictly in its own best interest, then it cannot and should not, play the role it has carved-out for itself.

In my opinion we should not act as the world policeman -- we ought to only get involved when it furthers our interests. It is not surprising that people around the world don't want us to act in that fashion, since most people here do not either.

And in doing so, it has overstepped its authority and misused it military power and influence.

Most damaging in all this is its reputation, which spawns terrorism against the US; and the catalyst for the lack of a return on any investment it makes.

I don't buy it -- I would argue that all we are seeing is simply a shift in interests...and therefore a shift in public opinion of nations that we are not actively pursuing joint interests with...I see nothing surprising about the concept that public opinion of our actions in nations who we are not actively pursuing a goal with wanes while it fares better in nations where we are -- I would be interesting in seeing poll data from nations such as the Czech Republic, Japan, Taiwan (just as examples)

Both in politics and economic endeavors, it is important to constantly working toward improved relations. However, the US is becoming more involved in adversarial situations.

I don't see this as the case.

This worsens the US position economically in a global economy that is become much more level and having such impact on America that it will no longer be able to support its only remaining influence: military force projection.

I dispute the notion that our only remaining influence is military force projection -- but that aside, is it your assertion that shifting interests damage our ability to project power?

Once America loses the capacity to project power, even Israel will no longer have need of America and turns its back on the US.

I would expect nothing less -- as ALL nations simply pursue their own interests.

The basis of my "bold claim" was an invasion of Iran, that's what Pocket and I were discussing in the post you quoted.

Your claim was as follows:
"Iran getting, and possibly using, nuclear weapons... or the total economic and strategic collapse of America. Stopping the first will bring about the second."

As shown, your argument was stopping Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon will bring about the total economic and strategic collapse of America. That is indeed a bold claim -- and remains no less bold even in the face of an all out ground war and nation building project with Iran. Let's look at Iraq -- we spent roughly $1,000,000,000,000 over a decade (roughly) fighting that war. Let's say we fight a war in Iran that costs double what Iraq did -- that is an extra $200,000,000,000 a year. With interests rate where they are -- I think the argument that we could not borrow that and still survive has no real merit.

At first you seemed interested in trying to understand how I could arrive at such a dire conclusion (a conclusion I'm sure some of the Pentagon war gamers also arrived at). You even asked what definition of "war" I was using and I told you.
Yes -- I am interested -- because I am operating under your statement of stopping Iran from getting a nuclear weapon will collapse America. Therefore, I was interested in what you referring to specifically when you mentioned "war". Did you mean an all our ground war? If so, it remains a bold claim that such action will destroy the United States. If you mean limited air strikes -- it becomes an even more bold claim that such action will destroy the country.

Additionally -- you stated that you arrived at the conclusion of a ground war and nation building based on Iraq and Afghanistan -- however then discounted our action in Libya as irrelevant. It is just as plausible if we get involved at all it will be a Libya style operation and not an Iraq style operation.

Rather than accept the definition I used and move forward on that conversation, you have been off on this tangent about how we're not going to have an actual war with Iran, just a few airstrikes (without acknowledging tthe slightest possibility of mission creep)... Maybe we disagree on the definition of war but that doesn't matter, you asked what definition I used to reach my conclusion, I told you, an yet here we are NOT talking about the subject I was discussing.

You asked what I was basing my opinion on that we are not going to have an actual war -- I think I made a pretty good argument. That aside, mission creep or not -- I still fail to see why preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon will collapse the country? Unless you are taking mission creep to the extreme and creating a scenario in which nuclear war erupts -- I just don't buy it.

Now I tried to bring back up the topic I had originally broached by asking you what the result would be of an actual invasion into Iran, i.e. my definition of WAR: full invasion, regime change, insurgents, nation building, the whole nine yards... You declined to answer on the grounds that it can't/won't happen. My "bold claim" was based on the premise of that scenario, would your conclusion to that scenario be much different?

Yes -- my conclusion would be different. I would argue such an action would result in a much higher level of American death's than people want to accept, it would take decades and we would not accomplish our goals, it would indeed have a major economic impact -- but I don't think it would come anywhere close to the collapse of the United States.

Overspending is the cause, financial collapse is the effect. It would fallacious for anyone to point to any specific spending and try to claim that as the "cause" of the effect. So no, that's not what I was arguing when I said that an Iraq style invasion of Iran would lead to the collapse of the US government. Fact is, the US is already collapsing, an invasion of Iran would just hasten that collapse to a time frame within my lifetime.

Because it would cause us to spend more money? That seems to be essentially the argument here. However, with interest rates where they are, it seems unlikely that we could sustain an additional debt load -- while that can obviously change based on many factors -- as of today, that is what I would argue.

I have said all along that we should only get involved (which includes going to war) if it is in the protection or furthering of our interests. And in the absence of a clear, definable interest, we have no reason to get involved. My view is seemingly shared by Democrats alike -- because Genocide is occurring all around the world today, and we do nothing.

The difference is you also don't really claim to me some moral crusader like the Right...your pretty clear...if your not American you don't really care. I don't agree. but at least your consistent. I find it odd that the pro life people will scream holy mother of god about Abortion..but not do a thing about Genocide...of course they are normally the wrong religion or color for them to care.

Who exactly are you envisioning has the capability to "devastate half or 2/3rds of America"? These rouge states possess very low yield weapons (if they possess weapons at all), and while it may sound crass -- the United States can absorb several low yield nuclear attacks with relative ease (relatively speaking of course)

So. . .you and your friends are actually admitting that THIS COUNTRY has nothing to fear from Iran having nuclear weapons?

Good. . .NOW, why would we attack them for having nuclear weapons. . .while we gave Pakistan nuclear weapons. . . when Israel has nuclear weapons?

I thought we needed to keep a "strong military" to "protect" our country, OUR freedom. . . .

Lets test IRAN first,,, Like JFK allowed Russia make he first move,,They chickened out! So tell IRAN go ahead close the Strait of Hormuz,,And see what happens next. Lets see if Ahmadinejad is Brave enough to try it or he will be a pussy like Krushev was on JFK. Theres an saying,,When the Rattlesnake starts to rattle you better get the hell away from it and not come any closer. So Test Ahmadinejad,,Im Ready,,
Clicks gun points at Ahmadinejad

GO AHEAD MAKE MY DAY!

7020_goaheadday.jpg

BigRob, et al,

(COMPLEMENT)

You would make a great Senior Foreign Service Officer (FSO). Over the last decade, I have had the opportunity to speak with and listen to a number of Senior FSO (Negroponte, Khalilzad, Crocker, Butenis, Hill, Jeffrey) and, Senior military Field Grade Officers of major Commanders (Sanchez, Casey, Petraeus, Odierno). They all have a very similar outlook. You are in very good company. I am well aware that I hold a minority view.

In my opinion we should not act as the world policeman -- we ought to only get involved when it furthers our interests. It is not surprising that people around the world don't want us to act in that fashion, since most people here do not either.

(COMMENT)

I do not see the current (or recent past) leadership operating in America's best interest. I see their decision making processes and outcomes seriously flawed.

... ... ... I would be interesting in seeing poll data from nations such as the Czech Republic, Japan, Taiwan (just as examples)

(Expanded SOURCE DATA)

The following are links that pertains to the analysis (Charts) I posted previously.

I dispute the notion that our only remaining influence is military force projection -- but that aside, is it your assertion that shifting interests damage our ability to project power?

(COMMENT)

The US is a "military based hegemony." For decades the mantra was: "Persuasive in Peace - Invincible in War."
Ten years on, the oil price hovers around $115 a barrel, the US is projected to run a budget deficit for 2011 of $1,580bn, the largest in its history; the economy remains deeply troubled after the financial crash of 2008; and America’s military and intelligence services remain at war, battling insurgency and radical Islamic terrorism, from Afghanistan and Pakistan to Niger and Yemen.

Admiral Mike Mullen, outgoing chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
, has described the national debt as the greatest threat to US national security. Standard & Poor’s recent downgrade of America’s credit rating appears to confirm the superpower’s steady slippage. And while there is no linear narrative from the September 2001 attacks to America’s present economic plight, the inflation-adjusted cost of the ensuing “global war on terror” at more than $2,000bn amounts to twice the cost of the Vietnam war.
SOURCE: Financial Times September 5, 2011 7:35 pm
The end of US hegemony: Legacy of 9/11

The US military cannot support its political, economic, commercial, industrial, or military interests without a strong economy that is capable of supporting the effort; -- including a strong defense. As the movie (The Right Stuff) said: "No Bucks - No Buck Rogers." When the Chairman is concerned, and calls it a problem, then it is a problem.

www.zimbio.com/.../Joint+Chiefs+Chairman+Debt+Top+Security+Th...
Jan 5, 2012 – Adm. Mike Mullen, the nation's senior military official, recently described the national debt as America's “biggest national security threat. ...
Yes, we are damaged to a degree greater than most people think.

I would expect nothing less -- as ALL nations simply pursue their own interests.

(COMMENT)

If we are to be the leader, then we need to be benevolent in the eyes of the world. We don't have so many allies that we can afford to be arrogant and pushy - fostering greater ill-will against Americans or American Interests.

Just One Man's Opinion,
Most Respectfully,
R

Werbung:
So. . .you and your friends are actually admitting that THIS COUNTRY has nothing to fear from Iran having nuclear weapons?

Who are "my friends"? And no, I do not concede that a nuclear armed Iran does not threaten this country. A nuclear armed Iran directly threatens our interests abroad and can have a major impact on a whole slew of things that impact us directly -- even if that does not mean we will be under any real threat of an Iranian bomb detonating in a major US city.

Good. . .NOW, why would we attack them for having nuclear weapons. . .while we gave Pakistan nuclear weapons. . . when Israel has nuclear weapons?

We "gave Pakistan nuclear weapons"??? That is quite a claim -- I would love to see your evidence. All evidence points mainly to China as how Pakistan was able to obtain nuclear weapons.

I thought we needed to keep a "strong military" to "protect" our country, OUR freedom. . . .

We do -- and that includes our "interests" -- both domestic and abroad.

Back