British MP Jo Cox attacked and killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

amelia88

Just read this in the news this morning - awful, awful situation for her family and loved ones to be dealing with.

A week out from the European Union referendum, a British Labour politician has been murdered after being shot and stabbed in a frenzy by a man yelling “Britain First”.

Jo Cox, 41, a pro-Remain supporter and chair of the parliamentary Friends of Syria group, was stabbed with a large knife and shot three times at close range allegedly fired by a 53-year-old man named locally as a loner, gardener Tommy Mair.

Police said she died within an hour of the vicious attack at 1.43pm local time (10.43pm AEST).

Mrs Cox was married to Brendan Cox, an adviser to the former Prime Minister Gordon Brown and had two children.

Werbung:
Normally you would expect to see headlines like this coming out of the USA -- Gabby Giffords in Tucson AZ comes to mind.

But this time it was Leeds UK.

Knife crime is characteristic of the UK with its strict gun control. But in addition the murderer still managed to get an antique gun which he was able to get 2 shots off with after the stabbing.

The issue must have been over the EU referendum because the killer was shouting "put Britain first!"

So murderers are everywhere even in Merry Olde England.

And they don't need guns but if they want them they can get them anywhere.

Normally you would expect to see headlines like this coming out of the USA -- Gabby Giffords in Tucson AZ comes to mind.

But this time it was Leeds UK.

Knife crime is characteristic of the UK with its strict gun control. But in addition the murderer still managed to get an antique gun which he was able to get 2 shots off with after the stabbing.

The issue must have been over the EU referendum because the killer was shouting "put Britain first!"

So murderers are everywhere even in Merry Olde England.

And they don't need guns but if they want them they can get them anywhere.

Yes, I was surprised to see it happened in the UK too. But if someone wants to kill, I do think that (sadly) they will find a way to do it...knives, guns (even if they're illegal where there's a will there's a way, it seems). It did seem to be in conjunction with the upcoming referendum like you said.

Definitely feeling for the two kids that are now without their mother - she was only 41 so I am imagining her children would be young.

Yes, I was surprised to see it happened in the UK too. But if someone wants to kill, I do think that (sadly) they will find a way to do it...knives, guns (even if they're illegal where there's a will there's a way, it seems). It did seem to be in conjunction with the upcoming referendum like you said.

Definitely feeling for the two kids that are now without their mother - she was only 41 so I am imagining her children would be young.
Yes, condolences to the surviving husband and children. It must be really painful for them.

It's hitting the headlines here, and when I first heard it I wondered if she got caught up in a protest. It was targeted and it makes people nervous about MPs being accessible now.

Who knows what the motivation is, but the referendum is getting nasty, and maybe the politicians need to think about uniting the country and finding a better solution. I am a 'leave' person and always have been, and I do get annoyed when the 'remain' people have hypothetical scenarios of what could happen. None of them thought a murder of an MP would happen over it though.

This is a very rare event in Britain and the Commonwealth. Here police are not alwys armed and not all members of parliament have body guards.

It's hitting the headlines here, and when I first heard it I wondered if she got caught up in a protest. It was targeted and it makes people nervous about MPs being accessible now.

I thought the same thing. I think it's great when MP's get out and about amongst the community, and listen to real people with real concerns - I always thought that was one of the better things about politics, when things actually seemed to be taken on board by MP's doing what Jo Cox was doing.

I wonder if it will end up seeing a re-think of that sort of community connection and involvement...

This is a very rare event in Britain and the Commonwealth. Here police are not alwys armed and not all members of parliament have body guards.
That's how it was back in the days of Lincoln in the USA so it was easy for J.W. Booth to assassinate him with a single small pistol. Things changed here after that.

This MP who was assassinated was pro-EU so the guy who killed her was obviously anti-EU.

Things are getting very emotional over there on the other side of the pond -- very un-British.

I thought the same thing. I think it's great when MP's get out and about amongst the community, and listen to real people with real concerns - I always thought that was one of the better things about politics, when things actually seemed to be taken on board by MP's doing what Jo Cox was doing.

I wonder if it will end up seeing a re-think of that sort of community connection and involvement...
A really good politician keeps their options open and does not go on the record at all if possible.

That way everybody thinks you are on the same side as they are.

This MP was too outspoken in favor of the EU and it cost her life.

A really good politician keeps their options open and does not go on the record at all if possible.

That way everybody thinks you are on the same side as they are.

This MP was too outspoken in favor of the EU and it cost her life.

She was in favour of more refugees and asylum seekers, and while I do think it's a good thing, sometimes people don't want it in their back yard.

In the UK many places have been 'taken over' by refugees and asylum seekers, and it is a burden on the UK culturally and socially too.

I think MPs need to admit that it is an issue that people are living with, those with big houses and gates are fine, but when you have your neighborhood taken over (as mine was) it's not so nice to live in.

She was in favour of more refugees and asylum seekers, and while I do think it's a good thing, sometimes people don't want it in their back yard.

In the UK many places have been 'taken over' by refugees and asylum seekers, and it is a burden on the UK culturally and socially too.

I think MPs need to admit that it is an issue that people are living with, those with big houses and gates are fine, but when you have your neighborhood taken over (as mine was) it's not so nice to live in.
Well that could have gotten her killed here in the USA too.

Right now nobody feels safe with any more Muslims coming in.

ClQ7eIuWMAAsL6g.jpg

The momentum may be swinging back towards Remain which now leads Leave by 1 point, 44% to 43%. British voters may be having second thoughts about leaving the EU after the murder of the prominent Remain campaigner and the Leave campaign is associated with Britain First in their minds. I don't know which option is better for Britain's future. Anti-immigration parties such as UKIP and Britain First would become obsolete or weakened once the country is out of the EU.

I suppose it was going to wind up tight as a tick. I wonder if the average brit knows the consequences of the choice ?
Not the hype.
Probably Doesn't matter. EU looks doomed, just a question of who and when.
I'm surprised it's lasted this long. I remember talking to some euros I worked with when it was forming and they gave it no chance of lasting.

Werbung:
The EU was formed to stop the wars in Europe over the past 200 years. In 70years there has been no war in Europe. If Britain leaves or the EU is weaken there might be new wars .Unity is better than divisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back