1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Brexit in progress...

Discussion in 'European Politics' started by Walter, May 16, 2017.

1. Openmind

Openmind Well-Known Member

Actually, I lived for 2 years in Weybridge and for two more years in Lightwater, both in Surrey, while my husband worked on Kensington High Street, in London Center. We also visited London for about a week in September.

While I do not follow the greater London housing market, there was a very recent TV show on BBC that discussed Brexit and its consequences , including the London housing market. It is obvious that the market for those poor people who lost their home in the fire is NOT the same as the market for most people who are impacted by the International banking leaving London!

Maybe we should concentrate on one or the other. . .and not compare apples with oranges?

Obviously the housing market in central London and on the West and North Side of London is and will remain much higher than in most other areas, and in line with other large cities (i.e., Paris, Brussels, Frankfurt), but the fact is that the number of available property for sale and to let has increased since Brexit and will continue to increase. . .although this category of housing will NOT be helpful for people who lost their home in a social dwelling or for new immigrants. . .but they are the ones that makes a real difference in the London economy!

You obviously are a Brexit supporter, and I am obviously a very satisfied European Union protagonist.

What you care about, is not what I care about. . .but the fact is that brexit will also seriously affect the NHS finances. .and not for the positive!

2. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Well-Known Member

It will probably improve them and the level of service if all these freebooters piss off back to Romania, Hungary, Latvia, lithuania etc. etc. etc.
    The UK tax payers stand to benefit GBP8.6Bn per year when we leave so i'm sure the NHS will survive....as it always has.... as it always will..... despite all the doom and gloom merchants here.

3. Openmind

I wish I was that confident! But the program I watched certainly didn't feel the way you do!

4. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Well-Known Member

I guess its like every choice in life there are winners and losers. I'm pretty sanguine about the whole affair to be honest in the short term there will be issues that need to addressed the hope is that the long term benefits outweigh the short term worries.
    Its the same on the EU side there will be issues as reguards the loss of billions of pounds of contributions, how will that affect the EU and what will its effects be? The EU is notoriously inefficient so maybe this will be a kick in the arse for them to sort their game out.

dogtowner likes this.
  5. Openmind

Whatever. . . time will tell!

6. Walter

Walter Administrator Staff Member