Another theory that must be rejected by conservatives

Mr., ahem, biochemist. In all the time you were going to school to get your degree in, ahem, biochemistry, did you ever bother to crack open one of those textbooks that contained required reading. Several in particularly would have been quite useful - the ones on genetics. Don't suppose you read those, huh? Against your religion, and all that sort of thing, eh?

So was there soft tissue and intact DNA in the fossil in question? Did you find DNA in some earlier fossil that proves that it was your fossil's ancestor? If you didn't, then as I said, any claim that you make beyond the fact that it is a fossil is no more and no less than just a story.

Werbung:
Well dude, the proof is that there are entire fossil beds full of dinosaurs with feathers, a not a single fossil bed that provides a shred of evidence that indicates that "ET did it".

Entire fossil beds full of dinosaurs with feathers. What exactly does that prove with regard to the story built up in an attempt to explain the fossils themselves, and their ancestors and decendents?

If it wasn't your idea, and you don't believe it, why bring it up? I know there are people out there in the wilds who believe that the Earth is hollow. That doesn't mean that I need to even consider using it in any rational discussion of how the Earth was formed. Get it?

Because you can't offer up any evidence to support your own claim. As such, any other idea, supported or not holds as much creedence as your own.

The other guy only reads what he believes will support his position which is political rather than scientific. Myself, I read everything and weigh one against the other. When solar physicists are warning that we are heading for a cooling period and climate scientists say we are heading for warming, I tend to put more creedence in the solar physicists as they have not been thoroughly discredited and found to be fabricating data in order to garner grant money.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/09/say-goodbye-to-sunspots.html

http://wbztv.com/curious/solar.min.sunrise.2.979838.html

There is plenty of information out there pointing towards a rather long cooling period. One doesn't have to look too hard to find it. Since it doesn't fit the agenda though, one must actually look. It won't be thrust into your face like claims of warming or any claim that man is doing anything.

I have thought for a while now that we are heading into global cooling but then I read about the solar min and max and wasn't so sure anymore. I will read your links and see if they can help me,

thank you pale :)

So was there soft tissue and intact DNA in the fossil in question? Did you find DNA in some earlier fossil that proves that it was your fossil's ancestor? If you didn't, then as I said, any claim that you make beyond the fact that it is a fossil is no more and no less than just a story.

So, the answer to my question is no you didn't bother reading all those textbooks on genetics when you were working on your degree in biochemistry. So that begs the question as to how you managed to get any degree at all in biology, particularly since you deny so much of what is basic, standard biology. Which is why I don't believe you ever got a degree in biochemistry, and if you did, you should ask for a refund of your tuition because, darn, dude, they really screwed you over big time!

Do you have any idea why the question of genetics is so important in evolutionary biology? Any clue at all?

Entire fossil beds full of dinosaurs with feathers. What exactly does that prove with regard to the story built up in an attempt to explain the fossils themselves, and their ancestors and decendents?

I take it you have also never taken a class in comparative vertebrate anatomy and physiology. What classes did you actually attend during your time in Gainesville?

Because you can't offer up any evidence to support your own claim. As such, any other idea, supported or not holds as much creedence as your own.

PR, we've been providing evidence all along. We're still waiting for the bones of ET to show up.

I have thought for a while now that we are heading into global cooling but then I read about the solar min and max and wasn't so sure anymore. I will read your links and see if they can help me,

thank you pale :)

You should also take into consideration that there is another camp (the ones who are actually studying the sun, by the way), who are saying that we are heading for a very strong solar maximum with the possibility of record CMEs. If they are incorrect, the government doesn't think so, since they are already making preparations to protect infrastructure.

So, the answer to my question is no you didn't bother reading all those textbooks on genetics when you were working on your degree in biochemistry. So that begs the question as to how you managed to get any degree at all in biology, particularly since you deny so much of what is basic, standard biology. Which is why I don't believe you ever got a degree in biochemistry, and if you did, you should ask for a refund of your tuition because, darn, dude, they really screwed you over big time!

Do you have any idea why the question of genetics is so important in evolutionary biology? Any clue at all?

So you have decended to nothing more than ad hominems. Predictable.

I asked if any of the fossils had DNA. We both know that they didn't so any story about the fossils that involves DNA is just a story. Sorry that you aren't able to differentiate between science and stories.

I take it you have also never taken a class in comparative vertebrate anatomy and physiology. What classes did you actually attend during your time in Gainesville?

Of course I have. That is why I asked the question and was supremely confident that you would have no answer.

You should also take into consideration that there is another camp (the ones who are actually studying the sun, by the way), who are saying that we are heading for a very strong solar maximum with the possibility of record CMEs. If they are incorrect, the government doesn't think so, since they are already making preparations to protect infrastructure.

That is what I have read about and it had to make me pause on my cooling thoughts.

I am not opposed to reading both sides.

Werbung:

I am still waiting for evidence of transitional fossils. So far, you have nothing but stories about bones; crude guesswork at best. Where is your evidence.

Here is what Dr. Colin Patterson (senior paleontologist at the British Museum of Natural History) had to say about your "evidence"

"‘I fully agree with your comments on the lack of direct illustration of evolutionary transitions in my book. If I knew of any, fossil or living, I would certainly have included them. You suggest that an artist should be used to visualise such transformations, but where would he get the information from? I could not, honestly, provide it, and if I were to leave it to artistic licence, would that not mislead the reader?"

He went on to say:

"Yet Gould [Stephen J. Gould—the now deceased professor of paleontology from Harvard University] and the American Museum people are hard to contradict when they say there are no transitional fossils. … You say that I should at least “show a photo of the fossil from which each type of organism was derived.” I will lay it on the line—there is not one such fossil for which one could make a watertight argument."

He later said:

"I’m speaking on two subjects, evolutionism and creationism, and I believe it’s true to say that I know nothing whatever about either … One of the reasons I started taking this anti-evolutionary view, well, let’s call it non-evolutionary, was last year I had a sudden realisation.

‘… One morning I woke up … and it struck me that I had been working on this stuff [evolution] for twenty years, and there was not one thing I knew about it.’ He added:

‘That was quite a shock that one could be misled for so long … I’ve tried putting a simple question to various people and groups of people: “Can you tell me anything you know about evolution, any one thing that you think is true?” I tried that question on the geology staff in the Field Museum of Natural History, and the only answer I got was silence. I tried it on the members of the Evolutionary Morphology Seminar in the University of Chicago … and all I got there was silence for a long time, and then eventually one person said: “Yes, I do know one thing. It ought not to be taught in high school.”.

This man was one of the world's foremost paleontologists. Nice to see that he was honest as well.

Here is what some other honest folks in the field have to say:

"Many people suppose that phylogeny can be discovered directly from the fossil record by studying a graded series of old to young fossils and by discovering ancestors, but this is not true. The fossil record supplies evidence of the geological ages of the forms of life, but not of their direct ancestor-descendant relationships. There is no way of knowing whether a fossil is a direct ancestor of a more recent species or represents a related line of descent (lineage) that simply became extinct."

(Knox B., Ladiges P. & Evans B., eds., "Biology," [1994], McGraw-Hill: Sydney, Australia, 1995, reprint, p.663) .

"It takes a while to realize that the 'thousands' of intermediates being referred to have no obvious relevance to the origin of lions and jellyfish and things. Most of them are simply varieties of a particular kind of creature, artificially arranged in a certain order to demonstrate Darwinism at work, and then rearranged every time a new discovery casts doubt upon the arrangement."

(Hitching, Francis, [Writer], "The Neck of the Giraffe: Or Where Darwin Went Wrong," Pan: London, 1982, p27)

"Although the relationship of the rhipidistians to the amphibians will be discussed in greater detail in the next chapter, it should be said here that none of the known fishes is thought to be directly ancestral to the earliest land vertebrates. Most of them lived after the first amphibians appeared, and those that came before show no evidence of developing the stout limbs and ribs that characterized the primitive tetrapods."

(Stahl, Barbara J. [Professor of Biology, Saint Anselm College, USA], "Vertebrate history: Problems in Evolution," Dover: New York NY, 1985, p.148).

"Is Archaeopteryx the ancestor of all birds? Perhaps yes, perhaps no: there is no way of answering the question. It is easy enough to make up stories of how one form gave rise to another, and to find reasons why the stages should be favoured by natural selection. But such stories are not part of science, for there is no way of putting them to the test.'

(Patterson, Colin [late Senior Palaeontologist, British Museum of Natural History, London], letter 10 April 1979, in Sunderland L.D., "Darwin's Enigma: Fossils and Other Problems," [1984], Master Book Publishers: El Cajon CA, Fourth Edition, 1988, p89).

I particularly like this one. Problems of the same sort come up in describing any evolutionary transition.

"In point of fact, the number of modifications in reptilian structure which the birds have managed to effect in order to adapt themselves for flight is so large as to constitute a real problem and deserves our further attention. To begin with, many modifications serve to reduce its weight. The bones are hollow, the skull very thin. It has abandoned the heavy tooth-studded jaw for the light but rigid beak. The body is condensed into a compact shape, the reptilian tail being abandoned, as also the reptilian snout. The centre of gravity has been lowered by placing the chief muscles beneath the main structure. Where organs are paired, like the kidney, and the ovary, one has been sacrificed. the pelvis has been strengthened to absorb (allow me the teleology) the shock of landing. The legs and feet have been reduced to minimum the muscles operating them have vanished to be replaced by muscles within the body. The brain has been modified: a larger cerebellum to handle problems of balance and co-ordination, a larger visual cortex now that vision has become more important than smell. Less obvious but even more remarkable is the change in bodily metabolism. To produce the energy for flight the bird must consume a lot of fuel and maintain a high temperature. Not only do birds eat a lot, as anyone who grows fruit or has seen the bullfinches systematically remove every bud from a treasured shrub knows, but they have a crop in which they can store reserve fuel. So that it can handle more blood, the partitions in the heart have been completed. The lungs too have not only been enlarged but are supplemented by air-spaces within the body. In land creatures like ourselves, much of the air in the lungs remains static; we exchange only a very small proportion of it in a normal breath. The bird, by passing the inspired air right through the lung into the air-sacs, contrives to exchange the lot with each breath. This system also serves to dissipate the heat generated by the muscles during flight. It strains the imagination to visualise so many beautifully apt changes occurring by chance, even when one considers that 150 million years elapsed between the emergence of life from the sea and the appearance of the first birds. For my part I can imagine that each change might have occurred by chance during that time, what I find hard to swallow is the accumulation of different changes integrated into a single functional pattern."

(Taylor, Gordon Rattray [former Chief Science Adviser, BBC Television], "The Great Evolution Mystery", Abacus: London, 1983, pp.70-71).

"It would not be fitting in discussing the implications of Evolution to leave the evolution of the horse out of the discussion. The evolution of the horse provides one of the keystones in the teaching of evolutionary doctrine, though the actual story depends to a large extent upon who is telling it and when the story is being told. In fact one could easily discuss the evolution of the story of the evolution of the horse."

(Kerkut, Gerald A. [Emeritus Professor of Neuroscience, University of Southampton, UK], "Implications of Evolution," in Kerkut G.A., ed. "International Series of Monographs on Pure and Applied Biology, Division: Zoology," Volume 4, Pergamon Press: New York, 1960, pp.144-145).

I am laughing at you. You do know that don't you?

Back