Amish school shooting

I think the reaction had a lot to do with the perception of the Amish beliefs. They keep to themselves and are pacifists. The man had no connection with them other than living in the area. While at schools like Colombine, there's been some doubt about what parents might have done to prevent the shooting, in this case, it was complete innocence.

Werbung:
I agree-- both the perception of Amish beliefs and their culture. People love a drama, and this is certianly a weird one. Heck, the Amish ARE weird.

I don't think this will change their way of life and why should it? I'm sure they don't see their lifestyle as being the cause of this-- the man obviously had big problems, and this time it effected them. If anything, it gives them even more reason to withdraw from The English.

I was reading the CNN web page today where they had help taking down the school with heavy equipment by outside communities. We have really infected the Amish. In fact our culture has raped theirs. I dont know how i feel about that. :(

I think it's awesome that they razed the buildings the kids were killed in. What a quick show of how they deal with things. No procrastinating.

What struck me as disrespectful about the media’s coverage of this whole thing is the fact that there are pictures of the poor Amish mourning their fallen children all over the covers of magazines and newspapers. The Amish are against pictures for religious reasons, and I cannot get over the fact that no one respected those beliefs. I think it is just wrong to have put such pictures on display. If the media was really that needy for images to go with this story, why not stick with the building and possibly the cemetery and gravesites. There was no need to photograph these poor people. But then again, that is just my take on the whole media extravaganza.

I understand your frustration. However, that's how the media works. Especially in the U.S.

Too bad the Amish couldn't be outspoken and refuse photographs.

I think it was amazing that so many of the amish people went to the man's funeral to support his family and his wife. how amazing.

That to me is a fine example of some of the finer aspects of the Christian faith, as well as how we should all act in such situations. Too many people have taken the messages of righteousness and turned it into self-righteousness.

I agree dong, (that name frightens me) I think that these poeple really get what being a Christian is supposed to mean. Oft times, we are so busy trying to "save" people and have them share in what makes US happy that we start to see them as somehow less than us, then we start the fingerpointing and condemning. Sure, the Amish have criems in their midst and no religeon is immune to its share of horros but, as a whole, they seem to be a good people.

I agree with both of you. I read reports of the amish at the shooter's funeral, and all of the support they were giving the wife of the shooter just amazed me. i think that all christains can take an example from that.

I agree dong, (that name frightens me)

P.S. For the public record, "dong" is simply an amalgamation of my initial and last name. It's also my official nickname since about 8 years and counting now. While the person who first called me such probably did have the phallic connotation firmly in mind, people don't generally read into it in any sexual way...I certainly don't :p

Werbung:
P.S. For the public record, "dong" is simply an amalgamation of my initial and last name. It's also my official nickname since about 8 years and counting now. While the person who first called me such probably did have the phallic connotation firmly in mind, people don't generally read into it in any sexual way...I certainly don't :p

good to know! much less strange and scary this way!

Back