100 years ago today

And, does the military have rights that the rest of us don't have, then?

Of course not... No individual can have, or exercise, rights that are not held in common with all other individuals.

Perhaps you believe our military has a "right" to national offense, they have the "right" to invade countries who have not attacked us, simply because their actions "jeopardize" our national safety... That would certainly be consistent with your position of how police should operate, using force against people who have not used force against anyone but are declared "guilty" of "jeopardizing" the rights of others.

Werbung:
Of course not... No individual can have, or exercise, rights that are not held in common with all other individuals.

Perhaps you believe our military has a "right" to national offense, they have the "right" to invade countries who have not attacked us, simply because their actions "jeopardize" our national safety...

Certainly, if they jeopardize our national safety, i.e., pose a clear and present danger. That is not offense, but defense.

That would certainly be consistent with your position of how police should operate, using force against people who have not used force against anyone but are declared "guilty" of "jeopardizing" the rights of others.

Yes it would.

However, the people that they arrest are not declared guilty until after the trial. First, they have to be arrested, then indicted, then tried. Only then can they be found guilty of anything.

Certainly, if they jeopardize our national safety, i.e., pose a clear and present danger. That is not offense, but defense.
And how can you tell? Wait... Let me guess, it's all a big "gray" area where decisions are based on emotion and conjecture rather than reason and fact.

Hello Iraq...

However, the people that they arrest are not declared guilty until after the trial. First, they have to be arrested, then indicted, then tried. Only then can they be found guilty of anything.
You said "jeopardizing the rights of others IS a violation of rights", that's your indictment, that's your assertion of guilt, you are the one who has decided that anyone who puts you at risk deserves to have force used against them, have their liberties taken away from them, so claiming that they aren't really guilty until proven so in a court of law is truly Orwellian.

And how can you tell? Wait... Let me guess, it's all a big "gray" area where decisions are based on emotion and conjecture rather than reason and fact.

Close. It's a gray area where decisions are based on facts and on politics.

Hello Iraq...

Hello phony intelligence, along with a whole lot of reasons other than WMD put forth by the voices of war. Iraq was never a threat to us.

You said "jeopardizing the rights of others IS a violation of rights", that's your indictment, that's your assertion of guilt, you are the one who has decided that anyone who puts you at risk deserves to have force used against them, have their liberties taken away from them, so claiming that they aren't really guilty until proven so in a court of law is truly Orwellian.

Correct. However, no one is guilty of jeopardizing our rights until they have been convicted of same. You're familiar, no doubt, with the innocent until proven guilty principle. Of course, someone who has "used force against us" given your definition, where the idiot actually has to run someone over before being taken off of the highway, still has to be convicted before he's guilty of violating anyone's rights.

Close. It's a gray area where decisions are based on facts and on politics.
It's a gray area where decisions are based on emotions and politics, in other words, it's totally subjective rather than objective.

Hello phony intelligence, along with a whole lot of reasons other than WMD put forth by the voices of war. Iraq was never a threat to us.
It was, nevertheless, the policy you support which allowed the invasion of Iraq to happen. That's what happens when you allow policy to be based on opinion rather than fact.

Correct. However, no one is guilty of jeopardizing our rights until they have been convicted of same.
You use force against them and take away their liberty first, their day in court comes after that.

You're familiar, no doubt, with the innocent until proven guilty principle. Of course, someone who has "used force against us" given your definition, where the idiot actually has to run someone over before being taken off of the highway, still has to be convicted before he's guilty of violating anyone's rights.
Where have I said that an "idiot actually has to run someone over before being taken off the highway"? Nowhere... If you are incapable of responding to statements I've actually made, then don't bother responding.

It's a gray area where decisions are based on emotions and politics, in other words, it's totally subjective rather than objective.

Unfortunately, that is true quite often. Decisions are supposed to be made based on facts and good judgement.

It was, nevertheless, the policy you support which allowed the invasion of Iraq to happen. That's what happens when you allow policy to be based on opinion rather than fact.

Now you're the one who is misinterpreting. I said "a clear and present danger." Iraq was never that.

Would you wait until another nation actually attacked us in order to respond?

You use force against them and take away their liberty first, their day in court comes after that.

Not if they can make bail.

Where have I said that an "idiot actually has to run someone over before being taken off the highway"? Nowhere... If you are incapable of responding to statements I've actually made, then don't bother responding.

My bad. I should have said that the idiot had to either run someone over or make them dodge him in one way or another. That seems to be your standard for "using force against someone", is it not? I'm the one arguing that merely racing on public streets is enough, remember. You're the one taking the opposite position.

Unfortunately, that is true quite often. Decisions are supposed to be made based on facts and good judgement.

Now you're the one who is misinterpreting. I said "a clear and present danger." Iraq was never that.
Look at those two statements... Using "a clear and present danger" as the measure is subjective, it was our government's opinion that Iraq met that critieria but it was your opinion (and mine) that it did not. The result is a decision to go to war based on emotions and politics (there was huge public support at the time).

Would you wait until another nation actually attacked us in order to respond?
There would be no question as to who the aggressor was in such a scenario. Starting "preemptive" wars because it's your opinion that the target nation poses "a clear and present danger" is exactly what happened in Iraq.

Not if they can make bail.
As usual, you miss the point. ...If I handcuff you, stuff you in the back of my cruiser, haul your butt downtown, book you for a crime and leave you rotting in a cell till you can get bailed out, have I used force against you and deprived you of your liberties?

My bad. I should have said that the idiot had to either run someone over or make them dodge him in one way or another. That seems to be your standard for "using force against someone", is it not?
My standard is the same standard that applies in cases of SELF DEFENSE. I know that's a tough concept to wrap your head around, you can't just attack people because you think they might in some way pose a possible threat, instead you require solid evidence that can stand up in a court of law that your use of force was warranted by the situation.

I'm the one arguing that merely racing on public streets is enough, remember. You're the one taking the opposite position.
You're the one arguing that people have a "right of reasonable safety", a "right" which they themselves are not permitted to actually exercise, a "right" which may only be exercised by certian individuals, a "right" that authorizes the use of force against people who have not used force against anyone. Yes, I oppose that position because I support the Right of Self Defense and your imaginary "right of reasonable safety" makes a mockery of that Right.

Look at those two statements... Using "a clear and present danger" as the measure is subjective, it was our government's opinion that Iraq met that critieria but it was your opinion (and mine) that it did not. The result is a decision to go to war based on emotions and politics (there was huge public support at the time).

Yes, there was. A lot of people judged that Iraq posed a clear and present danger to the USA. I think they were wrong, evidently you do too, but it was a judgement call. Lots of people still think that it was a good call.

There would be no question as to who the aggressor was in such a scenario. Starting "preemptive" wars because it's your opinion that the target nation poses "a clear and present danger" is exactly what happened in Iraq.

That's true, of course. If we were to wait until another nation actually attacked us, as Japan did in 1941. Do you think declaring war against Germany as well as Japan was a poor judgement call?

As usual, you miss the point. ...If I handcuff you, stuff you in the back of my cruiser, haul your butt downtown, book you for a crime and leave you rotting in a cell till you can get bailed out, have I used force against you and deprived you of your liberties?

Of course, you can't put someone in the back of a cruiser and take them downtown without moving objects around.

And, you don't arrest someone without a reasonable suspicion that the person being arrested was the perpetrator. So, what's the alternative? Should we have the trial first, then arrest them?

My standard is the same standard that applies in cases of SELF DEFENSE. I know that's a tough concept to wrap your head around, you can't just attack people because you think they might in some way pose a possible threat, instead you require solid evidence that can stand up in a court of law that your use of force was warranted by the situation.

Of course not. You only arrest someone who poses a clear and present danger. Watch some idiot racing through a residential neighborhood where kids ride bikes and shoot baskets, and they are posing such a danger. You don't have to wait until one of the kids actually has to ditch his bike on a lawn to avoid him, thus demonstrating that he has "used force". There is no such phrase in US law that I know of anyway.

You're the one arguing that people have a "right of reasonable safety", a "right" which they themselves are not permitted to actually exercise,

Yes, of course I can exercise my right to reasonable safety. The purpose of the government, as outlined in the Declaration of Independence, is to protect my rights.

a "right" which may only be exercised by certian individuals,

No, not at all. We all have a right to reasonable safety.

a "right" that authorizes the use of force against people who have not used force against anyone.

since your definition of "using force against someone" seems to revolve around whether their actions have actually caused injury, or have caused the individual to take evasive action, then sure, we can use "force" against someone who is simply posing a public danger.

Yes, I oppose that position because I support the Right of Self Defense and your imaginary "right of reasonable safety" makes a mockery of that Right.

Imaginary right of reasonable safety?

The entire vehicle code revolves around protecting our right to reasonable safety.

How do you exercise your "right to reasonable safety"?

Walking the dog with the knowledge that the likelihood of being shot is minimal, driving the freeways knowing that at least most of the idiots have been discouraged from idiocy, walking at the bottom of a canyon without some moron rolling boulders down the hill, many ways.

Walking the dog with the knowledge that the likelihood of being shot is minimal, driving the freeways knowing that at least most of the idiots have been discouraged from idiocy, walking at the bottom of a canyon without some moron rolling boulders down the hill, many ways.

You were originally claiming "peace officers" exercised the "right to reasonable safety" by using preemptive force against people shooting on public sidewalks, racing on residential streets, and rolling boulders off cliffs. I can't help but notice that you now claim to exercise the same "right" much differently than someone who wears a badge. Do you offer any explanation for this inconsistency?

You were originally claiming "peace officers" exercised the "right to reasonable safety" by using preemptive force against people shooting on public sidewalks, racing on residential streets, and rolling boulders off cliffs. I can't help but notice that you now claim to exercise the same "right" much differently than someone who wears a badge. Do you offer any explanation for this inconsistency?

There is no inconsistency. Peace officers are charged with the task of protecting public safety. I'm not.

Sure, if someone comes after me with a weapon, and I have one of my own, I'm going to try to stop him before he begins "using force" against me. I'm not going to go around town arresting people who are doing stupid or dangerous things. That's just not my job.

Werbung:
Peace officers are charged with the task of protecting public safety.
What Right are they exercising when protecting public safety?

Sure, if someone comes after me with a weapon, and I have one of my own, I'm going to try to stop him before he begins "using force" against me.
That would be exercising your Right of Self Defense.

I'm not going to go around town arresting people who are doing stupid or dangerous things. That's just not my job.
You have no Right to use force against people who are not using force against others.

Back