Something to Agree On

Mare Tranquillity

Whatever your position on Obama, I think you can appreciate the fact that he has struck down an unfair labor practice that is widespread in this country. Though he only did so for Federal hiring, it sets a good example for the rest of the country. Obama has inserted "gender identity" into the wording of the law so that transgendered people cannot be denied a job on the basis of their birth defect. This a move that hurts no one and helps a minority gain equality.

For too many years transgendered people have been legally denied equality in this country for a birth defect over which they have no control. One baby in every 500 suffers from this condition to some extent, but the American Medical Association has been successfully treating us with the Standards of Care for more than 40 years. It's high time that the rest of the culture catches up with science on this issue.

Transgendered people suffer from a discontinuity between perceived gender and their own internal sense of their gender. It has nothing to do with sexual orientation (which is who you find sexually attractive). Transpeople have all the same sexual orientation choices as everyone else and we tend to be gay/straight/bi in about the same percentages as the general population.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/06/us/06gender.html

Werbung:
Didn't Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national original ready cover this?

Title II of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA), which prohibits employment discrimination based on genetic information about an applicant, employee, or former employee;

Title II of GINA was passed due to President Bush calling for it!
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-157757117.html
Although that's going on a tangent!

Nice try, but Obama passed nothing new so far for federal employees,
Bush actually did!

Obama placed words on a webiste.
Inserting words on a website is what we are doing here!
Obama plays second fiddle again!

As a side note, Federal Jobs are part of the US problems.

The waste and fraud that goes on in Federal agencies
is legendary!

C'mon, Mare! You know that there is nothing that everyone will agree on, don't you?

Asur has already posted a dissenting opinion, based, of course, on a misunderstanding of what transgender is all about.

I recall a post some time ago stating that the sky was blue. There were, of course, opposing opinions. It turned out that the post was done as the result of a bet that nothing could be said that everyone would agree on.

But, yes, the wording does further the progress toward fair employment and should be applauded.

Didn't Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national original ready cover this?

Title II of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA), which prohibits employment discrimination based on genetic information about an applicant, employee, or former employee;

Title II of GINA was passed due to President Bush calling for it!
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-157757117.html

Nice try, but Obama passed nothing new, Bush actually did!

Inserting words on a website is what we are doing here!
Obama plays second fiddle again!

No, gender identity was specifically left out of anti-discrimination legislation. This was just done by Obama.

Gender Identity is NOT ABOUT sex. It's about one's internal sense of gender and has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

No, gender identity was specifically left out of anti-discrimination legislation. This was just done by Obama.

Gender Identity is NOT ABOUT sex. It's about one's internal sense of gender and has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

GOOD GRIEF...get those box of crayolas out and draw some pictures...he's not going to understand the HUGE difference any other way...LMAO

GOOD JOB PRESIDENT OBAMA...doing a good job!

Mare Wrote -
So? Why can't transgendered people get in on that too?

They can and probably have been for years. If there was discrimination against transgendered, they had the right to file a lawsuit with EEO.

For example: Obama could place words on a website stating the gov't will not discriminate against eskimos. He might even do that, but it's unnecessary, since they are protected by the Civil Rights Act!

Just for thought:

It would be interesting to see Obama place words on a website stating the gov't will not discriminate against islamic jihadists. He might even do that, but it's unnecessary, since they are protected by the Civil Rights Act!

C'mon, Mare! You know that there is nothing that everyone will agree on, don't you?

Asur has already posted a dissenting opinion, based, of course, on a misunderstanding of what transgender is all about.

I recall a post some time ago stating that the sky was blue. There were, of course, opposing opinions. It turned out that the post was done as the result of a bet that nothing could be said that everyone would agree on.

But, yes, the wording does further the progress toward fair employment and should be applauded.

I've read enough of Asur's posts to know that he has the ability to learn, as I said in my post: it's time for the culture to catch up with science on this subject. Once Asur has the facts I think he will agree that it's a good thing. It hurts no one, it cost no one any money, it does not require the government to get bigger... what's the downside? It helps a small minority of Americans with a debilitating birth defect to live better lives.

Mare Wrote -

They can and probably have been for years. If there was discrimination against transgendered, they had the right to file a lawsuit with EEO.

For example: Obama could place words on a website stating the gov't will not discriminate against eskimos. He might even do that, but it's unnecessary, since they are protected by the Civil Rights Act!

Actually, that's not true, we have sued many times, but judges have said that since we are NOT mentioned in the law that we have no standing. The argument has been that we don't even exist, that the condition of transsexualism is not real. We are not protected by the Civil Rights Act.

I believe that Eskimos, more properly called the Inuit, are covered under the "race, religion, and national origin" phrase. Transgender people are not, nor are "Islamic jihadists". The latter would be more in a category with "convicted felons" or perhaps "serial rapists", neither of which are covered by the civil rights act. Transgender, however, is just what Mare says it is, an accident of birth.

Just for thought:

It would be interesting to see Obama place words on a website stating the gov't will not discriminate against islamic jihadists. He might even do that, but it's unnecessary, since they are protected by the Civil Rights Act!

Religous affiliation IS a protected attribute, but gender identity has not been.

Mare wrote -

OK, show me a case where such a person was legally disciminated against.
I still maintain the sex clause effectively covers it.

Werbung:
Back