Should Terrorists be Awarded Lawyers?

Werbung:
According to the article you referred to, it was Canada that caused the problems in the first place. Plus the article says nothing about "torture."

Besides, according to some groups, it's torture not to give someone private quarters, a private restroom, and gourmet meals.

Kelkat: if you think that criticism lends strength to an argument that "torture does not happen" or "torture is not nearly as bad a problem as it is claimed to be" you would be guilty of committing a strawman fallacy.

Besides I think even if that was a bad example, there are hundreds upon thousands of other fine examples that are quite pertinent to the specific topic at hand.

Hmm yes, I assume that they are other examples, on the other hand, the job of "questionning" must be really hard; if you're not going hard enough, and the suspect is a terrorist, then I guess you could fail to prevent an "attack."

According to the article you referred to, it was Canada that caused the problems in the first place. Plus the article says nothing about "torture."

Besides, according to some groups, it's torture not to give someone private quarters, a private restroom, and gourmet meals.

Maybe you should read it closer......

"If ever there were a case that should turn the public against the Bush Administration's push for broader powers to suspend due process and continue to torture terror suspects, it is the story of Maher Arar, a Canadian computer engineer who found himself caught up in post-9-11 law enforcement paranoia. Arar was a victim of the secret "rendition" program President Bush only recently acknowledged--a process by which terrorism suspects have been "disappeared" to other countries notorious for torturing prisoners during interrogation. Arar, who was exonerated on Monday by a Canadian government commission of any ties to terrorism, spent a year enduring beatings in a small cell in Syria, before he was released.
Stories like Arar's show how much freedom we sacrifice under Bush's war on terror. This is not the kind of country most of us want to live in.

The Canadian government blames the United States for withholding information from Canadian authorities, and sending Arar to Syria without notifying his family or the Canadian consulate, and for ignoring Arar's objections that he would be tortured. And, of course, there is the matter of his innocence."

I hadn't thought about it that way Todd, I had only really thought to question the matter of innocence.

i believe these terrorists of such like should have no privelages at all after commiting such awfull and dreadfull crimes but thats not possible as its to do with their human rights but personally they should have all taken away once they commit to terrorist activities however small or large these people are dangerous and not just your normal run of the mill criminals

Werbung:
Simple objection: this thread relates to people who are most often detained as "suspected terrorists" meaning that their guilty status has not been confirmed. Additionally, alot of these cases are wrongful/mistaken arrests.

Also: what's with making the distinction between "terrorists" and "run of the mill criminals"?

Back