Remember the Jetsons?

Werbung:
Saw a news report on this technology.

They said the tech is here but a way to safely integrate them into today's transportation system (unless we just require them to be treated & piloted just as any other plane) is quite a while off.

The problem with the young is that they can only have short memories.

The the current flying car is not the first. Those of use who are "long in the teeth", can remember the Bob Cummings black and white T.V. series called: "The people's choice". One of the elements of the series was that he owned a small car that could be converted into an airplane. That aircraft actually existed. The inventor envisioned people navigating by flying to the right of and within one hundred feet of highways.
However, the Federal Aviation Authority refused to license the aircraft stating that if the common man had such aircraft, there would be too much traffic in the air to be safe. Therefore, the aircraft was not put into general production and evidently faded from public memory...except for us old people.

The the current flying car is not the first. Those of use who are "long in the teeth", can remember the Bob Cummings black and white T.V. series called: "The people's choice". One of the elements of the series was that he owned a small car that could be converted into an airplane. That aircraft actually existed. The inventor envisioned people navigating by flying to the right of and within one hundred feet of highways.
However, the Federal Aviation Authority refused to license the aircraft stating that if the common man had such aircraft, there would be too much traffic in the air to be safe. Therefore, the aircraft was not put into general production and evidently faded from public memory...except for us old people.

Way to kick it old school my friend.

And we're not old... we're more like aged to perfection lol!:D

Do you remember that show that Union Carbide used to produce? 2001, or the Twenty First Century or something like that? Not much of that ever came to be either.

Do you remember that show that Union Carbide used to produce? 2001, or the Twenty First Century or something like that? Not much of that ever came to be either.
I remember it. There were a lot of exciting things predicted that never came about.
In a more current example, about twenty years ago, there was a great deal of excitement about industrial robots being used to do most of the manual labor in industry. They would work 24-7, day or night, on holidays, and would result in production never-before obtained. That of course never happened. What did happen is automation (auto-loaders, conveyors, etc.), replaced many of the workers, but not complicated and expensive robots.

I remember it. There were a lot of exciting things predicted that never came about.

Shame about union carbide. They used to be a good company. My mom worked for them back in the very early 70's making parts for the Apollo program. A real family oriented company. Picnicks, parties, outings, etc. Wonder where they went wrong?

Werbung:
Way to kick it old school my friend.

And we're not old... we're more like aged to perfection lol!:D

I know I'm from a great vintage.

I can remember a car/plane that was advertised sometime in the '60s. It had wings that came off and were towed as a trailer behind the car, as I recall. It never caught on, something about not being very practical. I'm guessing this one will never get out of the "gee whiz, look at that!" category and into the showrooms either.

One thing this one did bring back, though, that I never expected to see on cars again. Tailfins!:D

Back