Prediction fulfilled

This prediction

• is happening or has already happened

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • is not happeniing

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Dr.Who

“Suppose a nation, rich and poor, high and low, ten millions in number, all assembled together; not more than one or two millions will have lands, houses, or any personal property; if we take into the account the women and children, or even if we leave them out of the question, a great majority of every nation is wholly destitute of property, except a small quantity of clothes, and a few trifles of other movables.

Would Mr. Nedham be responsible that, if all were to be decided by a vote of the majority, the eight or nine millions who have no property, would not think of usurping over the rights of the one or two millions who have?

Property is surely a right of mankind as really as liberty. Perhaps, at first, prejudice, habit, shame or fear, principle or religion, would restrain the poor from attacking the rich, and the idle from usurping on the industrious;

but the time would not be long before courage and enterprise would come, and pretexts be invented by degrees, to countenance the majority in dividing all the property among them, or at least, in sharing it equally with its present possessors.

Debts would be abolished first; taxes laid heavy on the rich, and not at all on the others; and at last a downright equal division of every thing be demanded, and voted.

What would be the consequence of this? The idle, the vicious, the intemperate, would rush into the utmost extravagance of debauchery, sell and spend all their share, and then demand a new division of those who purchased from them.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. If ‘Thou shalt not covet,’ and ‘Thou shalt not steal,’ were not commandments of Heaven, they must be made inviolable precepts in every society, before it can be civilized or made free.”–John Adams, 1787.

Werbung:
Well when they tried in in ENgland a while back the rich moved elsewhere. problem solved. so long as they do not lock the country down first. the rich are not foolish, they see things and act accordingly. partly WHY they got rich.

It's been quite some time since "all men" meant "all white property owning males" as it did in John Adams' time, and yet there has been no abolishing of debts, and the difference between the "rich" and the "poor" is greater than it has been in the past half century.

So, no, that prophecy is not coming true.

Considering this country's "poor" own 2 tvs a car and possibly a small home. I would say no, not at all

2 tvs? maybe..I mean you since if you don't need a flat screen...you can get tvs for basically free...a car? most poor people I know don't have a car...or if they do..at least none of the ones I know...they get rids, walk, and take a bus...and owning a home? maybe if they inherited it or something...most have subsidized housing or rent...most don't own a home...I think your thinking lower middle class or lower class...not Poor...

That said...I would much rather see the majority of Americans doing better...not standing still ...while the richest skyrocket ( and we cut there taxes more while they do it)

It's been quite some time since "all men" meant "all white property owning males" as it did in John Adams' time, and yet there has been no abolishing of debts, and the difference between the "rich" and the "poor" is greater than it has been in the past half century.

Bankruptcy laws are based on the premise that ones debts can be abolished if one cannot pay them. They are available to all citizens of the country.

Every single citizen of this country has a responsibility to contribute to the functioning of the country. If we stretch the definition of debt a bit and say that you owe it to your country to contribute...the lower 50% pay zero in income taxes.

Can you demonstrate that the difference between rich and poor is greater now than in John Adams time?

I think there is a good chance it is not.

2 tvs? maybe..I mean you since if you don't need a flat screen...you can get tvs for basically free...a car? most poor people I know don't have a car...or if they do..at least none of the ones I know...they get rids, walk, and take a bus...and owning a home? maybe if they inherited it or something...most have subsidized housing or rent...most don't own a home...I think your thinking lower middle class or lower class...not Poor...

That said...I would much rather see the majority of Americans doing better...not standing still ...while the richest skyrocket ( and we cut there taxes more while they do it)

The majority of Americans live like kings compared to what life was like 400 years ago.

Does anyone care to post the US census report on what the poor in this country own?

I too would like to see the majority of Americans do will but I would also like to see all Americans do well. The rich pay more in taxes and it is unfair.
Even though I am not rich I am also not envious and don't want to hurt them when it does not benefit to the poor to hurt them and actually makes life for the poor worse.

Does anyone care to post the US census report on what the poor in this country own?

Perhaps this will help:

The following are facts about persons defined as "poor" by the Census Bureau, taken from various government reports:

• Forty-three percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.
  • Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.
  • Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.
  • The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)
  • Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 31 percent own two or more cars.
  • Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.
  • Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.
  • Eighty-nine percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and more than a third have an automatic dishwasher.
Heritage.org

The full article is worth reading.

Is that a bad thing?

Not necessarily, but it shows that this part:
but the time would not be long before courage and enterprise would come, and pretexts be invented by degrees, to countenance the majority in dividing all the property among them, or at least, in sharing it equally with its present possessors.

isn't happening.

The majority of Americans live like kings compared to what life was like 400 years ago.

I too would like to see the majority of Americans do will but I would also like to see all Americans do well. The rich pay more in taxes and it is unfair.
Even though I am not rich I am also not envious and don't want to hurt them when it does not benefit to the poor to hurt them and actually makes life for the poor worse.

well its not 400 years ago..what was true 400 years ago..does not pay rent, or provide health care or put food on the table.

Not necessarily, but it shows that this part:

isn't happening.

There are many US policies based on the redistribution of wealth, just because all wealth hasn't been completely redistributed does not mean that it isn't happening, only that it's happening slowly, by "degrees" as the quoted statement affirms.

Werbung:
Back