Obama announces new 54.5 MPG gas mileage standards: trading blood for oil again

Little-Acorn

Obama is announcing new, superhigh gas mileage standards for all cars.

Such standards can be met in several ways:

1.) Making smaller, lighter cars. These are proven to be more dangerous for their occupants in crashes, than larger, heavier cars with equivalent safety equipment. How many more deaths and injuries will we see with these cars, as a consequence of saving how many gallons of oil? And what mathematics did the bureaucrats go through, to determine that this many gallons of oil are worth that many increased deaths?

2.) Building more hybrid cars. Being more complex technologically, these cars of course cost significantly more than an equivalent gasoline-only car. Mr. Obama has apparently decided for each one of us, that spending $5,000 or more extra on a car with no better performance or accommodation, rather than on our son's college or a new bedroom for the baby or granny's hip replacement surgery, is the correct way to spend our money. Funny, I don't recall him even asking me before making that decision for me.

3.) Building electric-only cars. These have long charge time and limited range, especially in cold climates where their range shrinks to uselessness, except for models costing four or five times as much as today's econocars. Even in benign climates, a one-day trip from San Diego to Sacramento to see Granny turns into a three-day (each way) voyage, requiring long stops and motel stays while the car recharges. In other words, a lot of trips get cancelled... unless you buy a second car to make up for the electric's limitations!

Automakers are happy, of course, with a law that forces everybody to buy more expensive cars from them.

Liberal extremism strikes again! It's for your own good, though. Trust them.

-------------------------------------------

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-tough-new-gas-mileage-standards----545-mpg/1

Obama announces 54.5 mpg gas mileage standard

by Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY
Updated 4m ago

President Obama is announcing tough fuel-economy standards starting in the 2017 model year, requiring automakers to average 54.5 miles a gallon.

The standard is sure to force dramatic changes in cars, making them smaller, lighter and loaded with higher-technology engines like hybrids, diesels or other fuel savers. The standard is so tough that relatively few models would meet it.

Because of the way fuel economy is calculated, window sticker labels of estimated fuel economy of individual models will be lower. Those labels will probably show values of about 40 mpg, says Roland Hwang, transportation director for the Natural Resources Defense Council. "Because of the differences between the laboratory certification test cycle and the on-road fuel efficiency, drivers can expect to see the average window fuel economy label to be about 40 mpg, compared to today's average of about 22.5 mpg," Hwang writes.

There are fears that the standard will force automakers to produce small cars that families won't want to buy -- or that cars will become too expensive:

"There is a realistic fear that the trigger for price increases will come from more than the new required technologies, and also by the automakers rationing demand through pricing in order to comply," says Jeremy Anwyl, CEO of Edmunds.com, a car-buying research website.

The new standard is the follow-up to the 35.5 corporate fuel average being phased in through the 2016 model year. Currently, automakers average less than 30 miles a gallon.

(Ful text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Werbung:
Thats the only thing hes done right. Cause the American car companies wont make what the public wants. They wanna help oil companies get high huge profits.

in the unlikely even that the standard is met he takes credit. If they fail to make a car that can deliver then he punishes the evil auto companies and the gov makes money.

How about GM has the be the first company to give us that car?

Something is terribly wrong with our Constitutional Republic if the executive branch can unilaterally decree anything.

Whether or not it is a good idea to require that cars have to get so many miles per gallon is irrelevant. If the POTUS can really decree such a thing, then this nation has truly lost its direction.

Something is terribly wrong with our Constitutional Republic if the executive branch can unilaterally decree anything.

Whether or not it is a good idea to require that cars have to get so many miles per gallon is irrelevant. If the POTUS can really decree such a thing, then this nation has truly lost its direction.
Not to worry. This came from Associated Press. The automakers agree to this. The target for the 54.5 is actually 2025. 14 years from now.

President Obama and automakers ushered in the largest cut in fuel consumption since the 1970s on Friday with a deal that will save drivers money at the pump and dramatically cut heat-trapping gases coming from tailpipes.

The agreement pledges to double overall fuel economy to 54.5 mpg by 2025, bringing even greater under-the-hood changes to the nation's automobiles starting in model year 2017. Cars and trucks on the road today average 27 mpg

Obama is announcing new, superhigh gas mileage standards for all cars.

Such standards can be met in several ways:

1.) Making smaller, lighter cars.....

2.) Building more hybrid cars.....

3.) Building electric-only cars.....
4.) Reduce horsepower

It has increased 65% since the 1980's

AvgHPNwVehMdlYr_80-04.gif

where do you get the idea it was unilateral? the admin and auto industry worked hard to come to this agreement..not like it was just chosen at random.

as for the crys about what it will do to the auto industry...the same people say it all the time..seat belts where going to be the end of the world, and airbags, and new safety standards..and the last time they set CAFE standards, and on and on...There is a reason there is a mid term review of it to make changes if needed...

I have faith in technology...rather then faith in the idea that we should not try and just think we can drill more and more and more and more and more....

Sometimes I sit in the parking lot and watch the cars circling to find a parking spot that is 2 spots closer to the door. Its like an extra 50' walk will exhaust them, so they need to burn gas for 6 minutes whilst they wait for the appropriate parking space.

Sometimes I sit in the parking lot and watch the cars circling to find a parking spot that is 2 spots closer to the door. Its like an extra 50' walk will exhaust them, so they need to burn gas for 6 minutes whilst they wait for the appropriate parking space.

My mom does that :)

We could be in the store, buy most of our stuff and already be in the line for the time she takes looking for a parking space that is just a bit closer :)

or people who leave the car running to keep the ac going..then go shop...I just soooo want there car to be in a chop shop a hour later.

or people who leave the car running to keep the ac going..then go shop...I just soooo want there car to be in a chop shop a hour later.
heh heh.... you are a meany. However, I wouldn't mind if they ran out of gas. ;)

I did have a car with remote start, and I gotta tell you, in cold weather and in hot weather that is a luxury you will truly take advantage of.

Werbung:
heh heh.... you are a meany. However, I wouldn't mind if they ran out of gas. ;)

I did have a car with remote start, and I gotta tell you, in cold weather and in hot weather that is a luxury you will truly take advantage of.

we had a heat index of 120 for about a week and a half..( temps about 95-100 and 80% dew point...aka more humid that the Amazon)...we get as cold as 50-60 below wind-chill...I have never had remote start ...done just fine...for the cold it will not heat up unless you drive it...or keep it running for some time..so not worth it to me...and heat...I have windows...they work fine till the ac kicks on. so never felt the need to get that..

Back