"Native Americans"??

Libsmasher

Suppose persons of european descent were the original occupants of what is now the United States. Suppose indians invaded from somewhere else, and eventually formed a nation state called "Cherokee". Then centuries later would the white descendants be calling themselves "Native Cherokees"? :D

Werbung:
Got past me too!?!?!?!? Maybe you can explain it to this son of the Chickasaw tribe.

(sighhhhhh. :rolleyes:)

The Pee See phrase "native american" is absurd. What are people who were born in this country, but are not american indians - immigrants? Noooooo. The ancestors of the people misdenoted by "native american" first arrived in the area that became known as "America" about 10,000 years ago. The geographic name "america" is about 500 years old, and the nation whose citizens refer to as "America" is 232 years old. It therefore is manifestly absurd to call american indians "native americans". The phrase "american indians" is of course also absurd, based as everyone knows on the perpetuation of name that originated over Columbus' confusion as to where he reached landfall. I have asked american indians if there is an indian language word or phrase that means "all the american indians". They've said no. I suggest that all american indians agree upon an authentic word or phrase for this purpose, formed from one of the american indian languages. If they did so, I would use that denotation. The phrase "native american" besides being absurd, seems to have a PC political tinge to it - it sounds like the intent of it is to confer some special status on current day american indians.

All squared away now? :rolleyes:

Well I don't know much about any of the other tribes, but the Chickasaw call themselves....Chickasaw. The term "native American" is used to collectively describe ALL of the tribes that were here before Europeans (non-native Americans) showed up. Perhaps you'd care to offer an alternative term?

Well I don't know much about any of the other tribes, but the Chickasaw call themselves....Chickasaw. The term "native American" is used to collectively describe ALL of the tribes that were here before Europeans (non-native Americans) showed up. Perhaps you'd care to offer an alternative term?

Did you read my post? I suggested that for authenticity (and "native american" has zero indian authenticity besides being a ridiculous lexical concoction) the indians in the US should themselves come up with a word or phrase that means ALL US indians.

What should we call them? redskins? will that make you feel better Paleface?

You must not sleep well, if it worries you so much that they are called Native Americans. They where here , before America was anything, deal with it.

You don't grasp the issue - quit cluttering the thread with your imbecilities. ;)

.................maybe they'd be call Chindians or Indikees :D

An Indian chief had three wives, each of whom was pregnant.
The first gave birth to a boy. The chief was so elated he built her a teepee made of deer hide.
A few days later, the second gave birth, also to a boy. The chief was very happy so he built her a teepee made of antelope hide.
The third wife gave birth a few days later, but the chief kept the details a secret. He built this one a two story teepee, made out of a hippopotamus hide. The chief then challenged the tribe to guess what had occurred. Many tried, unsuccessfully. Finally, one young brave declared that the third wife had given birth to twin boys.
"Correct," said the chief. "How did you figure it out?"
The warrior answered, "It's elementary. The value of the squaw of the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws of the other two hides."

:rolleyes: :D

Suppose persons of european descent were the original occupants of what is now the United States. Suppose indians invaded from somewhere else, and eventually formed a nation state called "Cherokee". Then centuries later would the white descendants be calling themselves "Native Cherokees"? :D

I think they would be called whites.

I see where you are going with this. I generally agree. I am Athabaskan. Among people who are other Native groups, or people are otherwise interested in what tribe I am, the answer is Athabaskan. As you would know FF it is quite different here, especially in the bush, I happen to be Athabaskan but live in Yupik country. It is interesting in general despite a fairly close geographic location, the different Native groups are noticably different in thier physical appearances. The tribes of the interior and southeast are more close in appearance to lower 48 tribes. Whereas the coastal Aleuts, Inupiaq and Yupiks have a noticable resemblance to northeastern Asians.

Did you read my post? I suggested that for authenticity (and "native american" has zero indian authenticity besides being a ridiculous lexical concoction) the indians in the US should themselves come up with a word or phrase that means ALL US indians.

Well to some extent they have. For instance the polar region inhabitants from Alaska, Canada and Greenland a long time ago decided at some conference that the term they would prefer to be called in Inuit, instead of Eskimo. It still is used to some extent, but it is generally not offensive when used. In regards to the use of the term Native American. It is the most accurate term that is encompassing enough and easy to use for the general poppulation.
Native American in its proper use is someone descending or a part of an aboriginal group in North or South America.

Yes, I read it. The point is that none of the tribes (that I'm aware of) have even thought about, nor care enough about, the issue to worry about it. In fact, since the Americas were named such (by Amerigo Vespucci in about 1500) long before this land we now call "America" was inhabited by Europeans, everyone I know thinks that "native American" works just fine since it establishes the fact that we were here first.

Werbung:
Libsmasher, your hypocrisy is shining through. You spend so much time attacking political correctness, but its clear you do want political correctness, as long as it fits your agenda and not someone elses.

Back