Microwave + Baby + Crazy Mother = Tragedy

Brandon

When you thought you heard it all. I am astonished that a human being could be so cruel.

A mother is accused of placing her newborn daughter inside of a microwave oven turning it on and killing her.

Full Story

Werbung:
Seriously. Where do people get ideas like this? I think it says something about the state of our society. If it's not a microwave, it's drowning kids in the tub. So sad.

The state of society? I doubt that it is any different from other times, really- the only change being that we have a microwave oven available for such purposes. As this article does well to differentiate, there are some cases where such behavior is not autonomous. I recall a documentary on sleepwalkers and some of the behavior there is beyond ordinary comprehension.

I would be interested to know the motives behind this particular case, if there were any.

Maybe you are right and there are factors we are unaware of. But I have trouble wrapping my mind around any reason that would cause a mother to do something like this. I will be the first to say that I don't understand actions like this either.

Tater, you're not alone in not understanding. I can't understand either. I'm sure that the lawyers will use the "mentally incompetent" plea or "post-partum depression" to try to get her off.

Post-partum depression may very well be a significant factor in the behavior. I can think of a feasible psycho-pathological profile and mechanism leading to the alleged act, for one. The real matter is whether such a plea is faithful to what actually happened.

In one sense people are right to be cynical of such pleas, but this does have a rather detrimental effect of continuing the stigma of mental illness and its behavioral effects. The real problem is the nature of the law system and appointment of counsel.

It is true that post partum is very hard to understand and very hard to explain. After my first child, I was riving down the road one day and thought, I should drive my car off of this overpass. I don't know why I thought it. The thought wasnt' even about dying, just a strange thought.I had never thought of anything like it before but, it scared me and I immediately got help. I was diagnosed with severe postpartum depression. Often, the women have a sudden impulse but, if they do not act on it, they realize the horror of it. I think they are afraid to get help when they start haivng these thoughts. But, I also think that it is overused as an excuse. Some people are just evil. It sickens me.

I'm not saying that post-partum depression isn't a valid mental issue. What I'm saying is that whether the woman was/is suffering from it, her lawyer will likely use that as her "reason" for doing what she did.

It's a shame the medical profession can't test a woman for the possibility of developing post-partum depression, but they can sure find a hundred drugs that will help a man maintain an erection.

Werbung:
It's a shame the medical profession can't test a woman for the possibility of developing post-partum depression, but they can sure find a hundred drugs that will help a man maintain an erection.

Yes, it definitely has been identified as a huge issue- which makes me wonder whether this is even possible, given our current work in the psychiatric fields. Maybe one should look around for studies done on the 'aetiology of post-partum depressoin'.

Back