Mexico pushes past China to rank as top US trade partner

reedak

1. Mexico became the top U.S. trading partner at the beginning of 2023, with total bilateral trade between the two countries totaling $263 billion during the first four months of this year.

Mexico's emergence followed fractious U.S. relations with China, which had moved past Canada to claim the top trading spot in 2014. The dynamic changed in 2018 when the U.S. imposed tariffs on China’s goods and with subsequent pandemic-era supply-chain disruptions that altered international trade and investment flows worldwide.

Mexico’s gains mirror its rise in manufacturing, a key component of goods moving between it and the U.S. During the first four months of 2023, total trade of manufactured goods between Mexico and the U.S. reached $234.2 billion.

Overall, Mexican imports to the U.S. totaled $157 billion; U.S. exports to Mexico reached $107 billion.....

Source Link: https://www.dallasfed.org/research/economics/2023/0711

2. .....the Roosevelt administration, while curtly dismissing Japanese diplomatic overtures to harmonize relations, imposed a series of increasingly stringent economic sanctions on Japan. In 1939 the United States terminated the 1911 commercial treaty with Japan. “On July 2, 1940, Roosevelt signed the Export Control Act, authorizing the President to license or prohibit the export of essential defense materials.” Under this authority, “[o]n July 31, exports of aviation motor fuels and lubricants and No. 1 heavy melting iron and steel scrap were restricted.” Next, in a move aimed at Japan, Roosevelt slapped an embargo, effective October 16, “on all exports of scrap iron and steel to destinations other than Britain and the nations of the Western Hemisphere.” Finally, on July 26, 1941, Roosevelt “froze Japanese assets in the United States, thus bringing commercial relations between the nations to an effective end. One week later Roosevelt embargoed the export of such grades of oil as still were in commercial flow to Japan.” The British and the Dutch followed suit, embargoing exports to Japan from their colonies in southeast Asia.

Roosevelt and his subordinates knew they were putting Japan in an untenable position and that the Japanese government might well try to escape the stranglehold by going to war....

Source Link: https://fee.org/articles/how-us-economic-warfare-provoked-japans-attack-on-pearl-harbor/

3. Railing against Russia’s annexation of Crimea and vowing that the United States would never recognize Russia’s “illegal occupation,” Vice President Biden angrily exclaimed yesterday that “no nation has the right to simply grab land from another.”

Oh?

What about the U.S. government’s annexation of the northern half of Mexico or, to be more precise, the land grab that encompassed California, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Texas, and parts of Wyoming and Colorado?

Now that’s one great big land grab, especially compared to the much smaller land grab involving Crimea.

Moreover, at least Crimea had once been part of Russia. The same can’t be said of the northern half of Mexico. That gigantic land grab was an out-and-out stealing of another country’s territory.

The U.S. government had tried to take the Mexican land peacefully and legally by offering to buy it from Mexico. The response of the Mexican government was: No, thank you. Our country is not for sale.

So, the U.S. government decided to simply steal the land — that is, take it away from Mexico by force. Since the United States was a much more powerful country militarily, the forcible annexation of the Mexican land would be no more a problem than the annexation of Crimea was to Russia....

Source link: https://www.fff.org/2014/04/23/what-about-the-u-s-annexation-of-mexico/

4. Resuming the previous fictitious conversation between the leaders of the US and China in their meeting at San Francisco in November this year, the US leader may ask: "I wonder how should I name my new form of soccer?"

His Chinese counterpart may suggest: "Bidenoccer."

The US leader may agree: "Whatever name is okay with me as long as it shows my name. If I lose my re-election in 2024, my successor may dismantle Bidenomics and whatever else I have built in the US. However, he can't obliterate this last legacy of mine if it becomes a popular sport around the world."

Then the US leader may brag that he has been so successful in de-risking his country from the Chinese economy that Mexico has overtaken China to become America's top trading partner.

His Chinese counterpart may say jokingly: "To those who have suffered terribly under American economic imperialism, Uncle Sam stinks even a thousand miles away. Don't waste your time telling me you are de-risking, not decoupling, the US from China. Using an analogy, isn't it pathetic for a woman, after being spanked repeatedly by her unfaithful husband, still clung desperately to his leg, crying and begging 'Please don't leave me! Please don't leave me!' as he ran off with his mistress to marry in a church? She should have chased him and his mistress out of the house with a broom!"

Mexico seems to have forgotten the US Empire's annexation of its northern half which encompassed California, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Texas, and parts of Wyoming and Colorado. To become the top US trading partner is to hang an albatross around one's neck. Sooner or later Mexico could end up as the Ukraine of the Americas."

Additional Reference:

Werbung:
Back