Is There A God ???

Mare : it may very well be that you simply have not been exposed to the knowledge

I agree.

In my dream state, I have only experienced being locked in my body due to fear, but thinking I was totally conscious. Do you think I was starting the beginning of a out of body experience, but due to fear was constrained? I guess what I'm asking is, how do I induce an out of body experience?

Werbung:
Consciousness is the faculty of awareness…..that you’d refuse to stand in front of a train doing 60 proves you’re aware of the consequences, including the FACT that you can’t escape your physical body…..or isn’t that a grand enough experiment, would you prefer to dodge bullets?

You’re actually a garden variety mystic, no ifs or buts, ie, you reject reality as absolute and do so because you’ve been brainwashed by the antiquated religious paradigm, you’re essentially dissatisfied with reality, the reality of the human condition and the constraints that places upon you.

FYI, I only support Objective science and projects that have an objective basis, ie, some relationship to reality, otherwise I know I’m just going to get a bunch of speculation for my money.

Btw, directing me to read a series of fairy tales and telling me nuthin doesn’t equate to serious discussion,….it’s really an act of evasion….so I suggest you snuggle up to one of those fairy tales and the leave the truth and objectivity business to me.

How dare you mention the name of science wrt your fantasies, especially when you don’t have a single piece of independently verifiable evidence.....you’re not a scientist, you’re a mystic and perhaps an amateur magician as well.

It seems that for all your self-proclaimed scientific acumen you still have not provided a single shred of proof of your contention. All you have done is attack me for things I haven't even said. This is science?

I don't know what consciousness is, you keep talking like you do know, but where is your proof? Where are your peer review journal articles? Where are your double-blind studies? I mentioned the science that I've read about, I know that there are a lot researchers working on this issue and so far none of them have come forward with the hard and fast statements you have posted right on this site. C'mon, David, pony up, you are verbally abusing me and intimating that I have said that THERE IS A GHOST IN THE MACHINE, when if fact I have NOT said that. You attribute things to me and then attack me for them--that's not science.

You don't do the research because you already know the truth, that's religion not science.

Oh yeah, why don't you define the word "mystic" so we will all know what you are accusing me of being.

Mare : it may very well be that you simply have not been exposed to the knowledge

I agree.

In my dream state, I have only experienced being locked in my body due to fear, but thinking I was totally conscious. Do you think I was starting the beginning of a out of body experience, but due to fear was constrained? I guess what I'm asking is, how do I induce an out of body experience?

Robert Monroe wrote a book about it, I can't distill his whole book down into a few sentences. Get a copy of the book, in the back he explains the process. Some people can use drugs and do it too, but I think that's a less reliable process and perhaps more dangerous. Monroe's book is available on Amazon.

It seems that for all your self-proclaimed scientific acumen you still have not provided a single shred of proof of your contention. .

So what you're telling me is that you think our ability to play tennis has nothing to do with consciousness?
As for your side of the story.....you've got no evidence and subsequently, anyone with any credibility wouldn't bother pursuing it....but hey, some people find it interesting and book sales are a possibility, just as you frequently advertise.

Are you able to provide one piece of independently verifiable evidence...if not, what could be your motivation other than a mystical basis...it can't be scientific, as you have NO EVIDENCE BOYO....:rolleyes:

Mare,

I understand that the process would be complex and involved, but what is the gateway? I have heard a lot of radio programs about OFB, where it is all induced from the dream state. My problem is, I hardly dream any more. If one could induce it from total consciousness then I might have a chance, also, it would be taken more seriously if there was proof of its relevance.

Mare,

I understand that the process would be complex and involved, but what is the gateway? I have heard a lot of radio programs about OFB, where it is all induced from the dream state. My problem is, I hardly dream any more. If one could induce it from total consciousness then I might have a chance, also, it would be taken more seriously if there was proof of its relevance.

It needn't be done from a dream state, relaxed, still, but fully awake. Monroe talks about the sensations that one feels and points out the ones that should be concentrated on and manipulated.

So what you're telling me is that you think our ability to play tennis has nothing to do with consciousness?
As for your side of the story.....you've got no evidence and subsequently, anyone with any credibility wouldn't bother pursuing it....but hey, some people find it interesting and book sales are a possibility, just as you frequently advertise.

Are you able to provide one piece of independently verifiable evidence...if not, what could be your motivation other than a mystical basis...it can't be scientific, as you have NO EVIDENCE BOYO....:rolleyes:

I don't know what you are talking about, you call me names, you claim I say things I haven't said, you demand evidence which I have repeatedly said that no one has. You denigrate the sources I do provide without ever examining them. And you use words that you don't/can't define. What is it you want from me?

You haven't provided any of the things you are demanding of me. You haven't presented a shred of proof of your position--in fact you are the only one making statements that you claim are facts, I've said all along that so far the research has not given ANY definitive answers.

For a supposedly scientifically oriented person you seem very reluctant to look at anything that might conflict with your position. You are apparently unable to address the questions I have asked you, so I am forced to accept that you are arguing for the sake of it.

Appropriate choice of word.

Even massage is referred to as "manipulation". I gather that you are arguing for the sake of it since you refuse to offer anything substantive to support your position. I, on the other hand, have given sources and information that would allow any thinking person to examine the subject and make a decision for themselves.

I, on the other hand, have given sources and information that would allow any thinking person to examine the subject and make a decision for themselves.

Actually, you've provided reference material that would be nuthin but a bunch of speculation, unless you can provide me with one single piece of independently verifiable evidence......what is that?

You've decided that because we don't know everything possible to know about consciousness, that opens the door to a mystical possibility, even though there is no evidence for this belief other than a starting point of mysticism.

You suggest I'm reluctant to sign off on something that lacks a shred of independently verifiable evidence.....it's essentially the same as saying, "well, we have no proof that a 50 ton elephant lives on the moon, but let's investigate anyway".

You should have become a cosmologist, most of them are religious/mystics as well.

Everything we know suggests that consciousness is an attribute of the brain/CNS....this is the proven model that any serious scientist should pursue, not some fairy tale.
One can clearly see that the more advanced the brain/CNS, the more advanced consciousness is....there's an obvious pattern that supports consciousness as an attribute, but no independently verifiable evidence to support your mystical position.

Btw, I'm just speaking bluntly to you....you're not a stupid person, but you're on the wrong track.
I'm a fan of objective science, but I despise junk science in all forms, and I relish the opportunity to expose its flaws.....so don't take it personally, for all I know, some of your views on social issues might be quite reasonable.

Actually, you've provided reference material that would be nuthin but a bunch of speculation, unless you can provide me with one single piece of independently verifiable evidence......what is that?
You have not looked at a single word of any of the sources I have presented. You have not even attempted to experiment with yourself around this subject.

You've decided that because we don't know everything possible to know about consciousness, that opens the door to a mystical possibility, even though there is no evidence for this belief other than a starting point of mysticism.
What I know is that we know almost nothing about the genesis of consciousness and that your comment about not knowing "everything possible" is a deliberate over-statement of the state of the art in consciousness research. There is a vast fund of evidence that things connected to what we loosely call "consciousness" are non-physical (perhaps only in the sense that radio waves are non-physical). Had you looked at the sources I presented you would have the chance to examine some of the scientific evidence that things are happening that don't fit into our "objective" view of the world.

You suggest I'm reluctant to sign off on something that lacks a shred of independently verifiable evidence.....it's essentially the same as saying, "well, we have no proof that a 50 ton elephant lives on the moon, but let's investigate anyway".
I don't believe that I have asked you to sign off on anything. You are comfortable that you already know all that is necessary to know about human consciousness and you deny that there is anything else to look at or look for. Fine, no one is asking you to pay for the research or to look at the things that make you uncomfortable.

You should have become a cosmologist, most of them are religious/mystics as well.
Calling people names is hardly scientific. Cosmology is a field of scientific endeavor, it contributes to the fund of human knowledge, doesn't it? Or are you saying that cosmology--like religion--has produced nothing of value?

Everything we know suggests that consciousness is an attribute of the brain/CNS....this is the proven model that any serious scientist should pursue, not some fairy tale.
This is a good paragraph. "Everything we know..." which does not address what we don't know, and that's a lot according to the scientists who are actually doing the research. The "proven" model to which you refer is a theory which is in no way proven beyond the meager amount of information that we currently have on this subject. But my favorite is "...any serious scientist SHOULD pursue..." (my emphasis). Anytime someone tells scientists what they should pursue that implies that there are avenues that they should NOT pursue, that kind of thinking stifles pure research. Remember when Soviet scientists were forced to accept Lysenko's work?

One can clearly see that the more advanced the brain/CNS, the more advanced consciousness is....there's an obvious pattern that supports consciousness as an attribute, but no independently verifiable evidence to support your mystical position.
I'm not arguing that evidence doesn't exist for the position that you are presenting, I'm just saying that I think there is more to it than what we currently know.

Btw, I'm just speaking bluntly to you....you're not a stupid person, but you're on the wrong track.
I'm a fan of objective science, but I despise junk science in all forms, and I relish the opportunity to expose its flaws.....so don't take it personally, for all I know, some of your views on social issues might be quite reasonable.
I'm not much of a fan of Junk Science either, but I won't throw out the baby or the bath water. For much too long arrogant people have assumed that they knew far more than they actually did and science has been set back dramatically because of it. Had Heaviside not trashed Maxwell's work we would be perhaps a century further advanced in electrical theory than we currently are. Science can be just as blindly dogmatic as religion.

There is no way to tell if I'm on some kind of "wrong track" until I work it to the end, you don't know what will be found in ANY field of endeavor ahead of time. Now that we have managed to teleport matter, we've blown another hole in a cherished scientific theory. What's next? I'll keep an open mind and look at all the options.

David,
I find it curious that you are so adamant about this. If I'm wrong and we discover nothing new about consciousness, you get to have some "I told you so's" and I look silly. If we continue our research and find out new and interesting things about consciousness, then we all win and we're smarter for the effort. Either way you aren't injured, so why fight this so hard?

Your arguments sound like fear, but I don't know why. Science goes down deadends now and then, so what, in his day, DaVinci's helicopter was a dead end too. There is a really weird kind of lightning that strikes up from the tops of clouds to the edge of space and then splits and comes back down around the central upward strike producing a lightning bolt pattern that looks like the skeleton of an umbrella. Pilots have been reporting this since we had jets able to fly high enough to see it. Scientists have pooh-poohed it for years, but a NASA plane with high-speed cameras has finally photographed this exact lightning strike pattern. Ball lightning can't exist either even though people have been reporting seeing it for hundreds of years. Two scientists have finally produced it under laboratory conditions.

"Radio has no future. Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible. X-rays will prove to be a hoax." – English scientist William Thomson, Lord Kelvin, 1899
"Everything that can be invented has been invented." - Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899

I have a good intellect, I intend to use it by continuing to look carefully at everything that comes my way. If you choose to live your life another way, then that's fine: to your own self be true.

Mare: Now that we have managed to teleport matter

Wow, this is news to me, when did this happen?

I also agree that the collectivist paradigm of controlled thinking stunts one's growth and has no place truth seeking.

I think what David's concern is that religion is being passed of as truth, where you see it as proving a theory.

Mare: Now that we have managed to teleport matter

Wow, this is news to me, when did this happen?

I also agree that the collectivist paradigm of controlled thinking stunts one's growth and has no place truth seeking.

I think what David's concern is that religion is being passed of as truth, where you see it as proving a theory.

I've no use for organized religion, I'm not trying to pass anything off as truth, but rather I'm hoping that people will begin to look and think for themselves without relying on religious dogma or scientific dogma either.

The US Air Force has been working on teleporting and so have many labs around the world. The best job of it that I know of is a couple of labs on opposite sides of the Thames River who are teleporting small quantities of material back and forth. The process is based on quantum entanglement somehow, I don't begin to pretend to understand the math. But this is just another break-through like speeding up and stopping light, both of which have been accomplished. Some very weird and wonderful things happening in the world of science.

Werbung:
Back