If the mandate is struck down, can the rest of Obamacare still stand?

You said:

He said that's false.

Ah, well I think he thinks it exist he just does not think it is easy to get.

Bu as a former Benefits Administrator for a social service organization who had the responsibility of making sure that all my clients who were eligible got medicaid I can assure you all that it is ridiculously easy to get

According this this web site

http://healthinsuranceinfo.net/getinsured/illinois/financial-assistance/medicaid/

If you are a legal resident and you have no money you qualify. Bingo! That simple!

Regarding the working poor:

Additionally, even if you have a lot of money but you have a very expensive condition (the condition costs more than your income) you still qualify. (I did not know that and now that I do I will have to change my arguments here slightly)

If you are disabled and you get SSI you don't even need to apply for Medicaid you can just get it. But if you start to earn enough to no longer be eligible for SSI then you can still keep your medicaid.

If your income is too high to qualify for medicaid but you get medicare then you can also qualify for medicaid.

If you are a family the income requirements are not as low so you can still qualify even though you earn more.

If your income is above the poverty level but not more than 135% above the poverty level you still get medicaid.

If you have a disability but earn more than 200% of the poverty level and do not have more than $10,000 you still get medicaid.

If you are old or single or pregnant then you don't have to be as poor as a person who is not old or single or pregnant.

So we can all see that every single citizen (and others too) who is poor gets medicaid and in addition to that many people who are not quite poor get it too.

Werbung:
If a person gets Medicare, why in the hell would they qualify for Medicaid also? Doesn't one cancel out the other?

If a person gets Medicare, why in the hell would they qualify for Medicaid also? Doesn't one cancel out the other?

I have seen it happen. Just like some families have one insurance policy that comes from the husbands employer and another policy that comes from the wife's employer. (which is a horrible waste since both are paying premiums. But congress made the rules and one cannot opt out of employer provided insurance and decide to get the money instead)

Fortunately, they don't both (medicare and medicaid) pay on each claim.

Or did you mean "how can one qualify for both" The answer is that if one is old one can qualify for medicare and if one is broke one can qualify for medicaid and if one is both one can qualify for both. Medicare however lets you have access to more doctors and with better outcomes. Another distinction is that medicare was designed as forced insurance in which one pays premiums and gets benefits but medicaid is designed so that someone else pays the cost and the recipient gets welfare.

Werbung:
I have seen it happen. Just like some families have one insurance policy that comes from the husbands employer and another policy that comes from the wife's employer. (which is a horrible waste since both are paying premiums. But congress made the rules and one cannot opt out of employer provided insurance and decide to get the money instead)

Fortunately, they don't both (medicare and medicaid) pay on each claim.

Or did you mean "how can one qualify for both" The answer is that if one is old one can qualify for medicare and if one is broke one can qualify for medicaid and if one is both one can qualify for both. Medicare however lets you have access to more doctors and with better outcomes. Another distinction is that medicare was designed as forced insurance in which one pays premiums and gets benefits but medicaid is designed so that someone else pays the cost and the recipient gets welfare.

The biggest difference between Medicare and Medicaid is that Medicare is administered by the FEDERAL government (and authorized Medicare Advantage plans), and Medicaid programs are administered by the states, so the qualifications and benefits for Medicaid vary state-by-state.

Back