How Congress Works On Your Dollars

Old_Trapper70

Saw this tonight, and while I knew it was bad I did not think it was this obscene:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-are-members-of-congress-becoming-telemarketers/

What Jolly means is that in addition to raising money for their own campaigns, members are supposed to raise thousands of dollars for their parties. That's their dues. If Republican members don't pay up, they can't use the party's call suites. No photos exist of the inside of either the Democratic or Republican centers. But with the help of a staffer, we were able to get into the Republican center with a hidden camera.

About a dozen tiny offices, equipped with a phone and computer line a corridor. This is where members of Congress sit behind closed doors and plow through lists of donors dialing for dollars. Outside in the main hallway is a big board where the amount each member has raised for the party is posted for all to see and compare.

Rep. David Jolly: It is a cult-like boiler room on Capitol Hill where sitting members of Congress, frankly I believe, are compromising the dignity of the office they hold by sitting in these sweatshop phone booths calling people asking them for money. And their only goal is to get $500 or $1,000 or $2,000 out of the person on the other end of the line. It's shameful. It's beneath the dignity of the office that our voters in our communities entrust us to serve.

Last edited:
Werbung:
I think that this is just one of many issues that people don't realise when it comes to politics, and that's because it's kept hidden from them.

We are shown that our politicians are fine, upstanding men (and women) of the community that are giving up their own time, effort and money and trying to make our country a better place for you and me to live in. The dirty, darker side of politics is often not spoken about, so that must mean it doesn't exist...

Werbung:
I think that this is just one of many issues that people don't realise when it comes to politics, and that's because it's kept hidden from them.

We are shown that our politicians are fine, upstanding men (and women) of the community that are giving up their own time, effort and money and trying to make our country a better place for you and me to live in. The dirty, darker side of politics is often not spoken about, so that must mean it doesn't exist...

Considering how much they are paid, and the benefits they gain, I don't think they are "giving up" anything.

Back