Holiday shopping season off to record start

PLC1

Staff member

It's estimated that U.S. shoppers hit stores and websites at record numbers over the Thanksgiving weekend, according to a survey released by the National Retail Federation on Sunday. They were attracted by retailers' efforts to make shopping easier,

I thought we were in a recession.

Could the economy finally be on the upswing once again?

Werbung:
and record compared to what ?

people have been charging more and paying back less.

For a lot of people it's like some kind of big social event. One guy interviwed was asked what he had hoped to get and he answered "socks". Duh....who goes out into that free-for-all for socks? Stay home and shop on line...Amazon is your friend :D

I don't like the numbers and can't refute the Facts! Quick blame the source and stick head in sand.

as for the guns, its good to know the rednecks who live in fear of the non existent attack on there right to a gun..have the money to spend on guns. Maybe next they can get a house that is not a wheels and some teeth,

I thought we were in a recession.

Could the economy finally be on the upswing once again?

Careful what you read into this. "All told, a record 247 million shoppers visited stores and websites over the four-day weekend starting on Thanksgiving." As the Weekly Standard pointed out -- that is basically every American over the age of 14. Are we to believe that all of them bought something? No -- the story does not say that -- and this concept of "visiting a website" -- what websites meet the criteria -- does a purchase have to be made -- or if I visit the WSJ website, do I get counted?

Careful what you read into this. "All told, a record 247 million shoppers visited stores and websites over the four-day weekend starting on Thanksgiving." As the Weekly Standard pointed out -- that is basically every American over the age of 14. Are we to believe that all of them bought something? No -- the story does not say that -- and this concept of "visiting a website" -- what websites meet the criteria -- does a purchase have to be made -- or if I visit the WSJ website, do I get counted?

I'm not sure. Logic dictates that only websites selling something would count, but maybe not. Surely, more than 247 million people visited websites, as some would have visited several.
There is also this:

Americans spent more too: The average holiday shopper spent $423 over the entire weekend, up from $398 last year. Total spending over the four-day weekend totaled $59.1 billion, up 12.8 percent from 2011.

Americans spent more too: The average holiday shopper spent $423 over the entire weekend, up from $398 last year. Total spending over the four-day weekend totaled $59.1 billion, up 12.8 percent from 2011."

It is good that people spent more than last year. Does it matter that their money was worth so much less that they got less stuff? Maybe they spent more for the same reason I spend more in the grocery store every weeek - you just can't get enough stuff without spending more.

Americans spent more too: The average holiday shopper spent $423 over the entire weekend, up from $398 last year. Total spending over the four-day weekend totaled $59.1 billion, up 12.8 percent from 2011."

It is good that people spent more than last year. Does it matter that their money was worth so much less that they got less stuff? Maybe they spent more for the same reason I spend more in the grocery store every weeek - you just can't get enough stuff without spending more.
Inflation is actually pretty low just now.

Werbung:
Back