1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Hi All

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by amelia88, Jun 10, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm Amelia and I've always had a fascination with politics/governments and how they run!

I'm an Australian by birth but married to an American, so I have seen both sides of the political wheel from those countries!

I think we can all learn a lot from one another and that's part of why I am here - I like hearing other people's thoughts and opinions.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

2. dogtowner

dogtowner Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Amelia. Hope you find the discussion you seek.

So happy or sad your loverly motherland is walking away from climate change ?

3. amelia88

amelia88 New Member

Sad, honestly.

I think for a country that depends so much on agricultural exports that we should really be taking more of a stance on it rather than acting like it's a non issue.

In saying that though it's not like we've had stable leadership for a while...our Prime Ministers seem to be a game of revolving chairs and I don't think that helps with any sort of firm footing on any issue...

4. dogtowner

Good point re rapid turnover in leadership. Maybe it's just my perspective being American but shouldn't the legeslative branch kind of moderate that ? It's as though the PM does as he pleases. I like it to mob rule if the population just forces in a new PM willy nilly.

5. amelia88

amelia88 New Member

Worst of all it hasn't even really been the public's choice - for instance when Kevin Rudd was voted in back in 2007, and then in 2010 the party ruled to appoint Julia Gillard as leader, it wasn't put to public vote - the party just decided that Rudd wasn't fit to be leader anymore, or didn't have the backing of the general public (without even putting it to a vote, just an in-party takeover)...

There's definitely a system by which any decisions have to get backing from the party, and it gets put to a vote...but it's one of those things that the politicians often just go along with whatever keeps them in a job.

You can probably tell I have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth with Aussie politics right now - I feel like there's no one worth believing in, and no one that's really going to progress the country forward. I'm not living there right now, but obviously since I'm a citizen there it's rather disheartening to say the least.

6. dogtowner

Unhappiness with the govt is going around. I'd watch that, the leven of fed up is very high.