1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Green Hosting

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Jason76, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Is green hosting a waste of time? Should people feel bad if they don't use it? As with the scheme for electric cars, it might be that green hosting isn't really helping the environment. In addition, green hosting cost a lot more, so in a sense that might make it a scam.

2. dogtowner

dogtowner Moderator Staff Member

Had to look it up.
    Finding niches is what business is all about whether real or imagined.

3. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1033462

The thread lists some pros and cons of green hosting. Obviously some believe it's an outright scam, or that the efforts to go green just don't really make a difference. Myself, I'm skeptical of green stuff, but I do try to recycle plastic and paper when possible, even though, unlike with aluminum cans, your not getting any cash.

Anyhow, I don't think my link was the best resource on pros and cons of green hosting, as it's hard to find anything online. So many of the articles are biased advertising in favor of green hosting.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  4. Colonel

Colonel Member

Green hosting plays on the fact that their servers run on solar or wind power.
    In the grand scheme of things - does it really make a difference?
    If a company is about green or organic goods, I understand why they may use it.
    People like cheap services - green is more expensive.
    I would not use green hosting - I like the planet and nature but for the money I'll stick with cheap hosting.