Government Deregulation

Just one rule for people to follow - It is illegal to initiate the use of force against others.

What additional "rules" are you claiming would be necessary for Capitalism to exist?

Listen, I spent plenty of time explaining this in detail. If you want to play the fool, go ahead. If you honestly don't know, go back to that big post on page 6 which you apparently skipped or skimmed. This is not difficult logic to grasp. If we follow your one rule, capitalism does not work. I gave you a bunch of examples- read them, think about them, and respond. Or don't. But it's pretty obvious, to anyone who bothers reading it, what the contradiction is. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you have some very specific, unique definition for "capitalism" that doesn't actually match any real-world example of capitalism, so that in your black-and-white mind, your single-rule theory makes perfect sense. But since I can't read your black-and-white mind, I have no idea what you mean by "capitalism" other than the obvious examples of capitalism in this world, not to mention the basic dictionary definitions... i.e. wikipedia: "Capitalism is an economic system that is based on private ownership of capital goods and the means of production, and the creation of goods and services for profit.[1][2] Elements central to capitalism include capital accumulation, competitive markets, and a price system.[3]"

given this, or any reasonable definition, it is impossible to maintain a capitalist system without laws, rules, and force. Again, see my examples on page 6, or come up with your own. I really can't believe that you believe you could have a functioning capitalist system without cops and armies (that don't act only in self-defense.)

Werbung:
Listen, I spent plenty of time explaining this in detail.

No, you didn't... Your "big post" argued against pacifism, something nobody here has advocated.

I really can't believe that you believe you could have a functioning capitalist system without cops and armies (that don't act only in self-defense.)
I don't believe such nonsense and never claimed to... A Capitalist society would have laws, police, courts, and a military... All are required to protect individual rights.

But since I can't read your black-and-white mind, I have no idea what you mean by "capitalism"
All you had to do was ask...

Definition of Capitalism

Laissez Faire Capitalism

...it is impossible to maintain a capitalist system without laws, rules, and force.
You are intentionally ignoring the difference between the initiation of force and the retaliatory use of force (the use of force against those who initiate force). Do you understand the distinction? If not, perhaps this will help: The Initiation of Force

Now, you claimed Capitalism cannot exist without government having the ability to "use force" (again, you don't bother differentiating between the two very distinct types of force that I've explained) yet even in your fallacious, but widely accepted, definition of Capitalism, I see nothing that would require the government to initiate the use of force in order for Capitalism to exist. Under Capitalism, the government is authorized to use force only in retaliation against those who initiate the use of force as it would be illegal in a Capitalist society for any individual - even those in government - to initiate the use of force against others.

So, please explain why government must have the ability to initiate the use of force in order for Capitalism to exist.

No, you didn't... Your "big post" argued against pacifism, something nobody here has advocated.

I don't believe such nonsense and never claimed to... A Capitalist society would have laws, police, courts, and a military... All are required to protect individual rights.

All you had to do was ask...

Definition of Capitalism

Laissez Faire Capitalism

You are intentionally ignoring the difference between the initiation of force and the retaliatory use of force (the use of force against those who initiate force). Do you understand the distinction? If not, perhaps this will help: The Initiation of Force

Now, you claimed Capitalism cannot exist without government having the ability to "use force" (again, you don't bother differentiating between the two very distinct types of force that I've explained) yet even in your fallacious, but widely accepted, definition of Capitalism, I see nothing that would require the government to initiate the use of force in order for Capitalism to exist. Under Capitalism, the government is authorized to use force only in retaliation against those who initiate the use of force as it would be illegal in a Capitalist society for any individual - even those in government - to initiate the use of force against others.

So, please explain why government must have the ability to initiate the use of force in order for Capitalism to exist.
To protect business from theft, robbery,to inforce the law..but all of this would be rational..So I don't know what he is saying here....but my geuss is he will have an answer...

To protect business from theft, robbery,to inforce the law..but all of this would be rational..So I don't know what he is saying here....but my geuss is he will have an answer...
My guess is that he will continue to pound the strawman argument against pacifism while ignoring what it is that I'm actually advocating... I do hope I'm wrong but I'm not wrong very often. :p

My guess is that he will continue to pound the strawman argument against pacifism while ignoring what it is that I'm actually advocating... I do hope I'm wrong but I'm not wrong very often. :p

I'm going to paste what I said before since you clearly aren't paying attention. This has nothing to do with pacifism, you seem to love throwing phrases around as if they are self-evident and somehow release you from having to use logic in your argument. So here goes. Why Capitalism doesn't work without force:

Capitalism does not work without a set of rules in place that people HAVE to follow; according to you, we would have a police force that merely defends, that merely exists to punish those who have used force against others. Fine, but here's a couple of things that couldn't happen under your system:

-the ability to collect any taxes whatsoever from anyone for any reason.
-the ability to regulate any commerce; I don't mean over-regulate, I mean ANY regulations. At all.

let's just stop with those two. So we remove the ability to collect taxes. That means, governments, both federal and local, have no money to run their operations. So you say good-bye to building and maintaining roads. A traffic light blows out, it doesn't get fixed. Bridges break, they stay broken. A natural disaster happens, tough luck for the victims. We can pass the hat around and hopefully folks will donate some money every time things need to be fixed, but with all the things that need maintenance, people will be chipping in on a daily basis- and who's going to go around asking for donations? Who's going to manage that cash? Oh, we can do a lot of the management work online? Who's going to repair the phone lines that keeps the internet going? Wait a minute- there wouldn't even be an internet since the whole thing only came about through government research and development! Seed money collected from taxes that allowed scientists and engineers to tinker with an idea that at the time seemed improbable and useless. In our ideal free market state, silly liberal programs like that one would never occur. So who foots the bills to keep our towns running? People who are independently wealthy and don't need to work? In every neighborhood of every town of every state? When you start to think about all the millions of things we take for granted as being part of our daily life, you realize that, wait a minute, creating an organized body to take care of our many, many needs is a hell of a lot more efficient that starting from scratch every time a new problem arises. But running that organized body costs money, and for it to work, just hoping people will keep sending money to you out of the goodness of their hearts, well, that's a little risky, not to mention unfair if the same few people end up shouldering the cost while everyone else decides they don't want to contribute. So eventually you end up where we are now, just out of a need to survive as a nation- making laws that are followed because you have the muscle (i.e. guns, cops, soldiers) to back you up.

I'm not saying I am a fan of this system or that this is my ideal; I'm saying it exists for a reason, and we all accept it because it has a lot more pros than cons when you get down to it. I hear a lot of libertarians bitch about government this and that, but when it comes down to it, they don't actually want a TRULY free country. They just want the convenient freedom to do the things they want to do, and then they want the police muscle to force people to do the bits they're not willing to leave to chance. I'll respect someone who is willing to put their money where their mouth is, someone who wants the anarchy system I described- true freedom, and let the chips fall where they may. But I'm not hearing any takers in these parts.

Other things you'd be giving up with your form of government- rules and regulations that protect workers from abuse. Work 80 hour weeks at $2 an hour? Sorry, times are tough, take it or leave it. I don't care if you're 12 years old. Quit school and get to work. Now, the feeble-minded liberal mind would say, a country where its youth is being used to work rather than educate themselves is a country that's doomed, because in the long run, we'll have a nation of ignorant people. We should create a society where people can't exploit an economic situation to their benefit and get cheap labor from kids in poor areas. We should create a society that makes sure everyone gets at least a basic education, which can only be paid for by money collected from everyone. The wiser capitalist, of course, sees the moral folly here and says "hey, don't you dare be regulating my life, Uncle Sam. If the laws of supply and demand dictate an underage labor force, so be it. It's immoral for you to get in the way."

How many other examples would you like? How about, if you come up with an idea for an invention, and I hear about it and get my rich friend to sponsor me, I can market the invention before you and you can't do anything about it. I get rich, you stay broke, and tough luck because any law regulating that would be immoral and illegal. I assume you're okay with that scenario, too? Sure would be great to live in a country where innovation is stifled because you have no incentive to invent anything. The minute you invent something, a hundred people will put you out of business. But hey, that's the free market, pal.

okay, there are several examples for you of why you would need force to make your system work. In all these examples, no one has used force against you, so it would be the government initiating force, which goes against your principle. Let's not even get into the flaws of capitalism; just sticking to your words, it doesn't work.

-the ability to collect any taxes whatsoever from anyone for any reason.

It is possible to finance a government without coercive taxation. HERE are just a few examples. I would add to that list voluntary forms of taxation, like state lotteries, and I'm also not opposed to state and national sales taxes - it just has to be the same % on all products and services and nobody could be exempted. However, a moral government would only operate a police force, a military, and a court system - nothing else. The cost of operating such a limited government would be a mere fraction of what it costs to operate the Rights violating monstrosity we have today.

-the ability to regulate any commerce; I don't mean over-regulate, I mean ANY regulations. At all.
As you've just admitted, regulation requires the initiation of force. You do not have the Right to initiate force against others. Thus, government has no Right to regulate the economy, in any way.

Your individual Rights can only be violated by someone initiating force against you. Since I've already established that a Capitalist system would ban the initiation of force and make it illegal, no individual, no group, no government official, and no corporation would be able to legally violate your Rights in any way.

If you want to disagree, then you need to prove that individuals have a Right to initiate force against one another. Of course, I've asked you to prove that from the beginning... Like most people who cannot defend their own positions, you instead chose to try and attack mine. I've defended my position, time for you to defend yours.

I'm not claiming any kind of moral position about what government is "right". There's no such thing- that's ridiculous. Governmental systems are just man-made inventions; each has pros and cons and you can argue that some work better than others but if you want to talk morals, the only "moral" system of rule I can think of is, like I said, anarchy, which leaves each individual alone to decide for him/herself what they want to do. Unfortunately, because humans are weak, emotional and short-sighted, anarchy is not a very practical system (or, actually, is no system at all) so people have invented various ideas throughout time.

You are trying to argue that capitalism is somehow the only "moral" system, which is a ridiculous, silly statement, but I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and playing along with your own logic. You have not responded to the various examples I gave; you just selectively respond to a couple of things and ignore the rest. But even in your limited response, you are contradicting yourself. "Im not opposed to state and national sales taxes..." good for you, but from your own "moral" stance, enforcing these taxes would require the "initiation of force" which you are opposed to. Now, if we remove that part of your statement and say that you want a government with voluntary taxation, a voluntary court system and a police force that can only act when someone is initiating force against others, that starts to fall in line with your claim... but it's also not called capitalism anymore. It's basically anarchy. You can sue me and tell me I have to appear in court because I ignored some law about x or y, and I can choose to appear or not appear in court as I see fit. The minute you send a cop over to make me go to court, you've broken your own rule.

Capitalism doesn't work without muscle behind it.

It is possible to finance a government without coercive taxation. HERE are just a few examples.

I just read this silly thing. Is this a joke, or just a poorly-thought out crackpot website? First of all, these are not examples of governments doing what you said, they're just theoretical suggestions. Big difference. Second, they make no sense. Start with Trust Fund. " Existing governments could create a large trust fund from their current assets." What assets? If you're not taking land by force, you have no assets. You have a bunch of land-owning-individuals who created you to run whatever it is they want you to run. And then, "the real money is in selling intangible assets like airwaves..." etc. Huh? What airwaves? Nobody owns the airwaves! It's AIR! Our current government has decided to control that via the FCC which is a whole 'nother discussion, but in your world where no one can initiate force, there would be NO regulating of the airwaves for the obvious reason that no one would bother with all the stupid regulations unless you had an army behind you to force people to do so- which you wouldn't. So good luck selling that radio station license to someone who can just set up a radio station anyway without your permission. The minute your apparent government begins "selling" licenses and rights to frequencies is the minute you are, again, dipping into the use of initiated force.

I'm not even going to get into the idiotic idea of letting private companies be in charge of environmental regulations. Let's just stick to your argument at hand: "User Fees" for courts sounds great, except, first of all, what power does the court have to prosecute any case that has nothing to do with force? According to you, you could only handle murder, armed robbery, etc. All the other 99.9% of court cases that fall out of this category would be useless- regardless of the verdict, the state would be unable to enforce the verdict without, you guessed it, force. Not to mention the logistical stupidity of making people pay for their own trials. Sure, that sounds great if it's a greedy person trying to sue someone for some B.S. reason just because they see a financial opportunity. It doesn't sound so great when someone was personally injured or fraudulently treated, and now they're broke and their only option is to take that company / person to court, except they can't take them to court because they can't afford the fees. Or worse, according to your site, if you've been wrongfully accused and found guilty, you not only get to go to jail, you get the added insult to paying for your own prosecution? That would give judges and prosecutors extra incentive to find the person guilty, since it means the court costs fall on the defendant. So we would have a very partial justice system that doesn't follow the "innocent til proven guilty" ideal, regardless of what they tell themselves, because it is in their best interest to not have innocent defendants.

Need I go on? This doesn't make any sense at all. And you still haven't responded to all the other examples I gave you previously.

What you need to do is defend your own position, attacking mine is not the same thing as defending your own. So...

You claim you have the Right to initiate force against me.... Prove it.

When did I claim that? I am saying your notion that capitalism is somehow morally superior to other forms of government is ridiculous. If you think it's the most practical, or want to praise it for some other mundane, logistical reason, fine. But to convince yourself that it is the moral high road, that's just you rationalizing your own desires with some kind of pseudo-philosophical position. In reality, there is nothing moral about capitalism. And it can lead people to very non-moral things, just like any system can, because they are all imperfect and easily abused.

Apparently you are stuck at a dead end, which is fine with me as long as you recognize the fallacy in your claim. Or don't recognize it, I don't care. But it's there in black-and-white for anyone to observe.

When did I claim that? I am saying your notion that capitalism is somehow morally superior to other forms of government is ridiculous. If you think it's the most practical, or want to praise it for some other mundane, logistical reason, fine. But to convince yourself that it is the moral high road, that's just you rationalizing your own desires with some kind of pseudo-philosophical position. In reality, there is nothing moral about capitalism. And it can lead people to very non-moral things, just like any system can, because they are all imperfect and easily abused.

Apparently you are stuck at a dead end, which is fine with me as long as you recognize the fallacy in your claim. Or don't recognize it, I don't care. But it's there in black-and-white for anyone to observe.

people can,will and do act immorally under any economic system.

but outside a strictly capitalist system there is a built in systemic influence to alter the flow of supply and demand that not bound by anything other than politics.

But I expect you might say 'but Dog, without regulation whats to prevent companies from doing this or that terrible thing ?'.

If you have established your law on the principle that you are free to act so long as your actions on the rights of others (as we started out) then the judicial system is perfectly formed to adjudicate these disputes. If, however, you establish your law on the princile that government establishes all boundries on the actions of it's people then actions are dictated by political whim aka mob rule.

In that context do you really think one is no more or less moral than the other ?

people can,will and do act immorally under any economic system.
If you have established your law on the principle that you are free to act so long as your actions on the rights of others (as we started out) then the judicial system is perfectly formed to adjudicate these disputes. If, however, you establish your law on the princile that government establishes all boundries on the actions of it's people then actions are dictated by political whim aka mob rule.

In that context do you really think one is no more or less moral than the other ?

You're being a little too vague for me to get exactly what you're trying to say. You're saying you want to create a form of government where people can do what they want, as long as they don't affect other people (I guess is what you're saying.) You establish a court to deal with these issues as they come up. I'm with you so far. I don't get this imaginary second choice where the government is telling the people what their boundaries are, based purely on the government's whims (and how does that equal "mob rule"? That doesn't make any sense.) And then you're asking me which is more moral?

First of all, the first system is not capitalism, not by a long shot. Second, almost everything you do affects other people. One could probably say EVERYTHING you do affects other people, but I'll stick with 'almost' for now. If you want to talk about, say, business and economy, just think of how many ways a business affects everything around it- especially big corporate businesses. The environmental damages our last 100 years of industry has done is immeasurable. We'll never get back to the healthy environment we had 100 years ago- not the water, the air, or the soil. Even if people recognized this today, the damage is already done. My point being that you seem to think all these regulations we have could go away and we would... what...? Try each event as an individual case by case? But that's how we ended up with all these regulations. This country didn't have so many 100 years ago, but every time someone messes it up for everyone, there is a trial, there is a court ruling, and the results are new rules. If you're concerned about an efficient government, think about what costs more time and money- judging each and every case individually, starting from scratch, every time a polluting company is sued by a person or community, or having a single regulation that keeps companies from going beyond a certain level of pollution?

This is all logistical, but that's my point- the issues between different ruling systems are logistical. In your two examples, as far as I can understand them, I'll take the first one, but it's a dumb comparison. And the implication here is that you guys continue to believe I want communism to take over America or something. I don't. I also have no love for the billion of rules and regulations governing every nook and cranny of our life. I just happen to understand how things got this way and realize there are no simple solutions... and I certainly don't suffer any illusions about capitalism being the great savior. You want to talk about a "built in system of influence" inherent in capitalism? It creates the illusion that everything on this planet is a commodity, a product that can be bought and sold, owned and traded. It is blind to any value except a monetary one, so if you can't put a price tag on it, in capitalist eyes, it has no value. We can see the result of such a point of view- namely, the world we find ourselves in, where multinational corporations think the world is a big monopoly board and they have the moral right to try to own as much of it as possible. The idea that you can own water, or air, is insane- absolutely insane. It makes no sense on a fundamental level. Yet in the world of capitalism, there's nothing insane about it- hence a push to privatize water, especially as it becomes scarcer and scarcer. In the medical world, companies put out patents on DNA sequences they claim to have discovered. Hello...? You can't own a DNA sequence. That is a ludicrous belief, but again, not in the eyes of capitalism. Monsanto is the ultimate example of a morally-corrupt outgrowth of capitalism, trying to create a world where people have to come to them for their food supply every year, because they happen to have created a seed that produces a plant that can't reproduce. Sounds like science-fiction, but it's not. But if you buy the capitalist premise, you end up here, in a morally-bankrupt philosophy that has you convinced you have the right to control the world's food supply. For all the messed up things communism did, I can't think of one that ever came close to THAT. If that's not morally corrupt, I don't know what is.

Again, I restate the fact that I don't think socialism is BETTER than capitalism. I am merely pointing out that capitalism is far, far from the moral certitude you would love it to be- but you focus on it's strengths and turn a blind eye to its weaknesses.The only "morally superior" system I recognize is one where I am allowed to completely make up my mind about everything, from paying taxes to wearing seatbelts to sending my friend a copy of an mp3 I like.

And, yet again, I point out that capitalism can't function without the use of force- which makes it a dubious "moral" system in the first place.

You're being a little too vague for me to get exactly what you're trying to say. You're saying you want to create a form of government where people can do what they want, as long as they don't affect other people (I guess is what you're saying.) You establish a court to deal with these issues as they come up. I'm with you so far. I don't get this imaginary second choice where the government is telling the people what their boundaries are, based purely on the government's whims (and how does that equal "mob rule"? That doesn't make any sense.) And then you're asking me which is more moral?

First of all, the first system is not capitalism, not by a long shot. Second, almost everything you do affects other people. One could probably say EVERYTHING you do affects other people, but I'll stick with 'almost' for now. If you want to talk about, say, business and economy, just think of how many ways a business affects everything around it- especially big corporate businesses. The environmental damages our last 100 years of industry has done is immeasurable. We'll never get back to the healthy environment we had 100 years ago- not the water, the air, or the soil. Even if people recognized this today, the damage is already done. My point being that you seem to think all these regulations we have could go away and we would... what...? Try each event as an individual case by case? But that's how we ended up with all these regulations. This country didn't have so many 100 years ago, but every time someone messes it up for everyone, there is a trial, there is a court ruling, and the results are new rules. If you're concerned about an efficient government, think about what costs more time and money- judging each and every case individually, starting from scratch, every time a polluting company is sued by a person or community, or having a single regulation that keeps companies from going beyond a certain level of pollution?

This is all logistical, but that's my point- the issues between different ruling systems are logistical. In your two examples, as far as I can understand them, I'll take the first one, but it's a dumb comparison. And the implication here is that you guys continue to believe I want communism to take over America or something. I don't. I also have no love for the billion of rules and regulations governing every nook and cranny of our life. I just happen to understand how things got this way and realize there are no simple solutions... and I certainly don't suffer any illusions about capitalism being the great savior. You want to talk about a "built in system of influence" inherent in capitalism? It creates the illusion that everything on this planet is a commodity, a product that can be bought and sold, owned and traded. It is blind to any value except a monetary one, so if you can't put a price tag on it, in capitalist eyes, it has no value. We can see the result of such a point of view- namely, the world we find ourselves in, where multinational corporations think the world is a big monopoly board and they have the moral right to try to own as much of it as possible. The idea that you can own water, or air, is insane- absolutely insane. It makes no sense on a fundamental level. Yet in the world of capitalism, there's nothing insane about it- hence a push to privatize water, especially as it becomes scarcer and scarcer. In the medical world, companies put out patents on DNA sequences they claim to have discovered. Hello...? You can't own a DNA sequence. That is a ludicrous belief, but again, not in the eyes of capitalism. Monsanto is the ultimate example of a morally-corrupt outgrowth of capitalism, trying to create a world where people have to come to them for their food supply every year, because they happen to have created a seed that produces a plant that can't reproduce. Sounds like science-fiction, but it's not. But if you buy the capitalist premise, you end up here, in a morally-bankrupt philosophy that has you convinced you have the right to control the world's food supply. For all the messed up things communism did, I can't think of one that ever came close to THAT. If that's not morally corrupt, I don't know what is.

Again, I restate the fact that I don't think socialism is BETTER than capitalism. I am merely pointing out that capitalism is far, far from the moral certitude you would love it to be- but you focus on it's strengths and turn a blind eye to its weaknesses.The only "morally superior" system I recognize is one where I am allowed to completely make up my mind about everything, from paying taxes to wearing seatbelts to sending my friend a copy of an mp3 I like.

And, yet again, I point out that capitalism can't function without the use of force- which makes it a dubious "moral" system in the first place.

you think regulations come from lawsuits ? a few perhaps but mainly from people bitching. some chick writes a book of fiction and people demand DDT be outlawed and so it was by m ob rule. and millions died from the diseases it (DDT) so effectively took control of.

some "scientist" says forests are better off with all manner of undergrowth below the can ope and so laws ensue that prohibit clearing underbrush and we have massive numbers of acres of forest destroyedbecause of all the tinder left to fuel the fires.

you hate regulations ? poppycock, you relish them. and please tell me just how effective they are ? and yet you prefer to trust bureaucrats. hilarious.

you hate regulations ? poppycock, you relish them. and please tell me just how effective they are ? and yet you prefer to trust bureaucrats. hilarious.

Uh... I don't relish them at all. I just realize that in this imperfect world, they are one solution to the problem of stupid humans. The other solution, yours, allows stupid humans to fuck up things for the rest of us. If you think DDT is a "good thing" or that the warming of our oceans is "liberal propaganda" then you are one of those stupid humans that regulations were made for. Every time I start to think we'd be better off without them, I hear uneducated, ignorant opinions like these and realize why some "wimpy liberals" decided to create them in the first place. Believe me, there are lots of really stupid laws that came out of over-reactions to things- I know this. Nervous parents wanting to make the world safe for their kids bitch and moan until your kids live in a world where they can't turn left or right without breaking some rule. I completely agree... we live in a "free country" that is a hell of a lot less free than most other places I've been in... for some things. And then there's all the other regulations that are actually effectively preventing morons and assholes from fucking shit up, like the regulations that kept wall street in check until they were removed, or kept corporations from growing too big (until the Telecommunications Act of 1996) and it becomes clear why some regulations are necessary for preventing a completely messed up world. I won't pretend to know which is better, but I will invite you to visit several other countries where things are much less regulated so that you can ask the people there how that's working out for them. Hint: it's not. Instead of defending a stupid system, help us come up with a better one.

But, again, this is all besides the point. The main point is that you guys can not, in any logical way, prove or even argue that capitalism is "morally superior". The more you try, the more you leave yourself open for examples as to how it isn't- examples which you conveniently ignore.

Werbung:
When did I claim that?
Your claim that initiating force was moral:

So, since a moral argument against universal healthcare is being invoked, I'm playing ball.
Your admission that ALL regulation requires the initiation of force:

So we have two claims there... The first is your claim that it's moral to initiate force against other people - that's the only way UHC systems can be designed to operate - forcing some to provide for others. Secondly, you support government regulation of the economy, which, as you've admitted, requires that government initiate the use of force.

You must believe individuals have some "right" to initiate force against one another to support those two policies... If you recognize that individuals have no such "right", then what is your rationalization for doing things you know you have no Right to do?

Back