GMO's as invasive species

Dr.Who

I was reading this:

http://www.king5.com/news/environme...-up-in-Oregon-of-great-concern-157798505.html

An article about how a dock that was displaced in the Japanese Tsunami washed up on a beach in Oregon and how the parks service is treating it as a grave threat to the ecology. Species native to Japan could take hold in Oregon and that could wreak havoc. These are of course species that are living in Japan and are an integral part of the eco-system over there. But here they do not belong and who knows what the results might be.

I agree that there have been numerous examples of transplanted species wreaking havoc in new environments.

Now that got me thinking...when a company like Monsanto creates a new organism out of the blue through genetic engineeing aren't they introducing a new species not just to some part of the world where it has not lived before but to the world as a whole? The Earth is being "invaded" by non-native species.

Why is it critically important to stop crabs moving from Japan to Oregon but it does not matter if a previously completely unknown species moves into the Earth?

Werbung:
because that GMO corn does not have it's own food chain. it doesn't eat other critters. crabs do. as my uber vegan niece points out so often, the purported danger is that it will someh9ow change you though there is no science that suggests this can occur.

Excluding the manufactured species by Monsonto, isn't this what evolution is all about? I'm sure earthquakes and tsunamis have been the catalist to many migrations of plants and animals. I recently read about a new foot long shrimp in the gulf that is killing off the smaller gulf shrimp. Actually, I love shrimp and would love to have some that are a foot long. Be a lot easier to clean too.

Excluding the manufactured species by Monsonto, isn't this what evolution is all about? I'm sure earthquakes and tsunamis have been the catalist to many migrations of plants and animals. I recently read about a new foot long shrimp in the gulf that is killing off the smaller gulf shrimp. Actually, I love shrimp and would love to have some that are a foot long. Be a lot easier to clean too.

its the manufactured aspect they object to. its certainly a more direct effect than the old fashioned way and it really juices them that some of the genetic material comes from animals. those were just tiger shrimp by the way, a bit more aggressive than the usual ones and it takes them a while to get a foot long. in the case of shrimp, bigger is not always better.

because that GMO corn does not have it's own food chain. it doesn't eat other critters. crabs do. as my uber vegan niece points out so often, the purported danger is that it will someh9ow change you though there is no science that suggests this can occur.

There are examples of other foods that changed/evolved/mutated to be harmful to humans. And in this case the change has occured at a rate a millon times faster. GMO corn could in theory be the cause of our epidemic rates of heart disease and we wouldn't even know it. Eat GMO corn for 30 years then die from heart disease?

Werbung:
There are examples of other foods that changed/evolved/mutated to be harmful to humans. And in this case the change has occured at a rate a millon times faster. GMO corn could in theory be the cause of our epidemic rates of heart disease and we wouldn't even know it. Eat GMO corn for 30 years then die from heart disease?

if left to change any number of negatives could enter the genepool. I would think that the more controled modifications are less prone to this.

Back