Fat America

Consumer Reports Magazine has a great article on obesity, including a survey of people who have never been overweight, people who have lost weight successfully, and people who have not been able to lose weight. Their findings:

Food: The main problem is not so much what we eat, as it is portion control.

Exercise: In general, thin people do, but fat people don't.

Losing weight: Most of the people who have lost weight successfully, and kept it off, did so by portion control and exercise. They did it by themselves, mostly. Weight loss programs might work for some, but aren't the overall answer.

And no one came up with a way for the government to solve this problem.

I can remember those long ago days we call the '50s also. What I remember is eating whatever Mom put on the table, or going hungry. Very few chose the latter course of action. I also remember being outside from the time school let out until it got too dark to see, usually riding bikes, playing games, and doing chores.

Mine was hauling wood. Uphill (just one way, though).

People today eat too much and exercise too little, it's as simple as that.

Werbung:
Way back when? When I was a kid (50's-60's) we did not work any harder than the kids today. Is this another one of those "facts" that are assumed and not researched to see if it is actually true?

Today there are kids who only sit on their big bums, play video games, and eat, only getting up for restroom breaks. Sure they go to school, but when they go home, back to their sitting/eating/video-game-playing routine. Actually, those people must have pretty strong thumbs, pressing buttons all day.

It's partly the food (doughnut-cheeseburgers) and the lifestyle (as shown above) that cause more obese people in America today.

Today there are kids who only sit on their big bums, play video games, and eat, only getting up for restroom breaks. Sure they go to school, but when they go home, back to their sitting/eating/video-game-playing routine. Actually, those people must have pretty strong thumbs, pressing buttons all day.

It's partly the food (doughnut-cheeseburgers) and the lifestyle (as shown above) that cause more obese people in America today.

Do you have any citations (proof) for those statements, that in fact, life style and diet are radically different than in the 1960's, and the differences are the root cause of the overweight epidemic?

As per the doughnut burgers, I would definately try one! I dont eat much beef, because it is very expensive when compared to moose, and there isnt exactly a doughnut shop around, that looked well worthy of trying. I bet it would go great with maui onion rings.

Can you prove that is any different than the 60's? Anecdotal evidence is only as reliable as a person's memory.

Nope. All I can do is remember how it was back then, and compare it to how it is now. I can't even post a link to the Consumer Reports article that can be accessed by anyone who doesn't have a subscription to that magazine.

The evidence that lifestyles are different is the incidence of obesity. If people today live the same way they did 50 years ago, then why are so many more obese now?

Maybe it is not, in fact, because of eating and exercise habits. Maybe there is some other difference that we're not aware of.

But, I'm betting on eating and exercise habits.

If you live in america u will never get enough time for healthy food and plus there are few ppl which will look for a normal lifestyle, all of us doesnt respect what his body needs we fill it with unhealthy food from here comes the fats.

I go with those who say the nanny state should leave us alone. BTW, my BMI is 25.8, so I suppose that makes me 'fat'. When I was 21 and weighed 130, and my BMI was 21.6, my cholesterol count and blood pressure were high. Life is given to us to be enjoyed. Those who wish to be puritans should do so, if they enjoy it, but stop preaching at the rest of us.

BTW, I'm 67 now.

I go with those who say the nanny state should leave us alone. BTW, my BMI is 25.8, so I suppose that makes me 'fat'. When I was 21 and weighed 130, and my BMI was 21.6, my cholesterol count and blood pressure were high. Life is given to us to be enjoyed. Those who wish to be puritans should do so, if they enjoy it, but stop preaching at the rest of us.

BTW, I'm 67 now.

is this sam or sara?

Sam - albeit you will usually find Sara on this style forum, rather than the ones which feature the liveliest and most heated discussion.

Sara is not much for that kind of debating. Sara is only 63 and still works. I was a mathematician, and a computer person; Sara has a psych degree and a MBA in Business, and works in HR. As in Dilbert's Catbert, the evil director of HR, although she is not the boss of HR!

As for yourself, obamanation???

Sam is whom you will see most of - Sara rarely would post here. I sometimes enjoy knowing people with whom I disgree with, because I come from the type background in which it was a routine practice to be challenged by other people. It depends, of course, on the person. As far as I am concerned, it is just as likely to have a disgreement with someone who shares 99.9% of your ideology as it is to find some common ground with someone who only shares 1% of your ideology. Perople are perverse!

Sam is whom you will see most of - Sara rarely would post here. I sometimes enjoy knowing people with whom I disgree with, because I come from the type background in which it was a routine practice to be challenged by other people. It depends, of course, on the person. As far as I am concerned, it is just as likely to have a disgreement with someone who shares 99.9% of your ideology as it is to find some common ground with someone who only shares 1% of your ideology. Perople are perverse!

I enjoy talking to people that I disagree with too. For me its a way of life. I am very very conservative and live in a liberal area and work for the government.

I like talking to liberals becasue I was once more liberal than anyone on this forum and though I know how I became that way and I know how I changed what I can not figure out is how I ever thought what I thought and for so long. I think I am here more to find that out than anything else.

Werbung:

BTW, I'm 67 now.

Something like a third of the population is obese, and another third is overweight. How can anyone enjoy life carrying around an extra 20 pounds, let alone 100 like so many do?

Sure, the nanny state should let us alone. We should have the good sense to take care of ourselves without being told.

2/3 of us don't.

I'm one year behind you, BTW, and still go hiking, backpacking, and skiing. I plan to continue as long possible. I don't need anyone to tell me that regular exercise is an absolute necessity.

Sara has a psych degree and a MBA in Business, and works in HR. As in Dilbert's Catbert, the evil director of HR, although she is not the boss of HR!

Does she purr while doing rotten things to the other employees, like Catbert does?

Posted by NO obomination:
I enjoy talking to people that I disagree with too. For me its a way of life. I am very very conservative and live in a liberal area and work for the government.

You work for the government?!? The evil government? I'm surprised, but no wonder you have a limited government sort of philosophy. You no doubt see first hand just how much waste there is.

Back