Doctor Who Helped Find Bin Laden Given Jail Term

PLC1

Staff member
It seems there is a high price to pay for helping the US in the "war on terror", at least in our so called ally, Pakistan:

There are two parts of this story, both of which smell to high heaven. This is the first:

PESHAWAR, Pakistan — A Pakistani doctor who helped the Central Intelligence Agency pin down Osama bin Laden's location under cover of a vaccination drive was convicted on Wednesday of treason and sentenced to 33 years in prison, a senior official in Pakistan said.

Some ally, huh? With friends like Pakistan, who needs enemies?

This is the second:

In January, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta confirmed that the United States had been working with Dr. Afridi while trying to confirm the location of Bin Laden's compound in Abbottabad in the months before the raid. American officials had previously said that the doctor been running a hepatitis B vaccination program as a ruse to obtain DNA evidence from members of Bin Laden’s family, who were thought to be hiding in the city. American officials say Dr. Afridi did not know the identity of his target.

What was Panetta thinking to have confirmed this guy's identity?

Afridi should have been given asylum in the USA, of course, but then the government seems to want to continue the fantasy that Pakistan is an ally in the war on terror.

Werbung:
It seems there is a high price to pay for helping the US in the "war on terror", at least in our so called ally, Pakistan:

There are two parts of this story, both of which smell to high heaven. This is the first:

Some ally, huh? With friends like Pakistan, who needs enemies?

This is the second:

What was Panetta thinking to have confirmed this guy's identity?

Afridi should have been given asylum in the USA, of course, but then the government seems to want to continue the fantasy that Pakistan is an ally in the war on terror.

sounds like an extraction is in order

Suppose one of our guys sold miliarty secrets to the Chinese? He wouldnt get 30 years in federal prison now would he? Why?? Because America is the most liberal and the most corrupted government in ther world. China has the most strictist government. If anyone of the Chinese sold their secrets to US they would get death.

Paklistan is not our friend.

The Administration is not our freind. Think the Haji's just guessed at which chopper full of Navy Seals to shoot down a few months later?
How about the landing location of Israels fighters planning to hit Iran being leaked?
Have you seen the trial of the Ft Hood shooter? Can't call that terrorist act, it was work place violence.
Troops having to read rights on the battlefield? More soilders have died in the last three years than any other time in our current wars.
Accident??? Yeah........sure it is. The enemy sirs is with in.

Does he have a tooth ac... oh, I see. You think we should go in and get him out.

I agree, but, then, I'd be willing to bet we won't.

yeah thats the term they use. if you don't care how much noise gets made you send the Seals, it you want more like a vanishing you send (what they used to call) Delta.
If you want to embarrass the Pakis you just bribe his captors.
I suspect you are correct but CIA may just do it anyway. In the old days they would.

Intelligence is dirty business. If we "protected" all informants we would be running extractions 24/7 -- and it would be internationl incident after international incident.

What is more important -- the informants life, or the information? I say the information.

Intelligence is dirty business. If we "protected" all informants we would be running extractions 24/7 -- and it would be internationl incident after international incident.

What is more important -- the informants life, or the information? I say the information.
The information was critical. Who the informant was should have remained classified.

The information was critical. Who the informant was should have remained classified.

Absolutely agree. Whoever leaked the intel ought to be held accountable. It is a prime example, intelligence is dirty business, and leaks are devastating.

In much the same way when it was "leaked" that we were tracking terrorist movements and conversations via their cell phones -- all communication then ceased -- setting us back.

Werbung:
well that was not going to be possible so we shoiuld have had a plan.

and Rob we can't help everyone b ut this was a big fish, its a little different. IMO

In the scheme of things -- this informant is not a "big fish". Bin Laden certainly was, but he is dead.

Back