Do conservatives have to reject global climate change to be conservatives?

Is it necessary to reject global warming to be a conservative?

• I'm a conservative, and I say no.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I'm a conservative, and I say yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a liberal, and I say no.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I'm a liberal, and I say yes.

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Could add?

It would add without doubt and become a huge hardship on Americans and all while other countries keep on pumping out pollution.

Would it be a hardship on Americans to drive a hybrid car, as opposed to an average gas-gussling SUV?

Would it be a hardship on Americans to get their electricity from alternative, green energy sources, rather than from polluting sources such as coal?

If so, how so? And why do we have to continue polluting just because others do so? Are we world leaders, or world followers?

Werbung:
Would it be a hardship on Americans to drive a hybrid car, as opposed to an average gas-gussling SUV?

Would it be a hardship on Americans to get their electricity from alternative, green energy sources, rather than from polluting sources such as coal?

If so, how so? And why do we have to continue polluting just because others do so? Are we world leaders, or world followers?

Good question. It would seem that France is the world leader in providing for its electric power through non polluting nuclear power plants. We could at least follow their lead, couldn't we.

Yes a tiny car would be a great hardship to me. You tote a soccer team of 12 around in one of those, I wont.

I dont use coal, I live on the west coast and we use dams for energy except that obama and the government wants to tear out half our dams because they think its hurting the fish even though our salmon run is at record highs.

and what good does it do for us to not use coal and pay more for energy when we just sell the coal to china so they can pollute.

Do have any idea of the negative environmental impact that would result from switching Americans over to hybrids? I'm guessing not... Batteries, the material used to make them, the process used to acquire those materials, and the actual process of making batteries, are not environmentally friendly.

Putting that aside... If you could create a hybrid that could actually compete with non-hybrids in a free market, i.e. without government subsidies and tax credits, and improve the technology so that the batteries didn't have to be replaced every 5-7 years at a massive expense, then it wouldn't be an issue... Lots of people would happily drive them.

The only source of clean, reliably, energy is nuclear and the NIMBY crowd doesn't want anything to do with nuclear power. Every other "green" source suffers from one or more of the following:

Reliability, meaning it requires a consistent source as backup power, like when the wind isn't blowing or the sun isn't shining the power grid needs a consistent source of power to keep from being damaged.

Expense, there isn't a single alternative energy source that can survive in a free market, they all require massive subsidies and tax credits to compete with traditional sources.

Availability, Geothermal and Hydroelectric don't suffer from the other two problems but their availability is very limited. Adding solar plants to those two, such power plants can only be operated in a handful of specific locations.

Side Effects, Geothermal causes "mini-earthquakes" with a chance of causing a full blown quake, Hydro is claimed to create problems for fish, Windmills are ugly, LOUD, and require a lot of room, and so on...

why do we have to continue polluting just because others do so?
Are you talking about CO2?

Are we world leaders, or world followers?
We are world leaders for now, but if we intentionally handicap ourselves by abandoning traditional energy sources and force the public to go "green" without nuclear power, we will quickly slide down the list as we are replaced by countries who didn't handicap themselves.

Worth posting...

Scientists threatened for 'climate denial'
By Tom Harper
11 Mar 2007

Scientists who questioned mankind's impact on climate change have received death threats and claim to have been shunned by the scientific community.

They say the debate on global warming has been "hijacked" by a powerful alliance of politicians, scientists and environmentalists who have stifled all questioning about the true environmental impact of carbon dioxide emissions.

Timothy Ball, a former climatology professor at the University of Winnipeg in Canada, has received five deaths threats by email since raising concerns about the degree to which man was affecting climate change.

One of the emails warned that, if he continued to speak out, he would not live to see further global warming.

"Western governments have pumped billions of dollars into careers and institutes and they feel threatened," said the professor.

"I can tolerate being called a sceptic because all scientists should be sceptics, but then they started calling us deniers, with all the connotations of the Holocaust. That is an obscenity. It has got really nasty and personal."

Last week, Professor Ball appeared in The Great Global Warming Swindle, a Channel 4 documentary in which several scientists claimed the theory of man-made global warming had become a "religion", forcing alternative explanations to be ignored.

Richard Lindzen, the professor of Atmospheric Science at Massachusetts Institute of Technology - who also appeared on the documentary - recently claimed: "Scientists who dissent from the alarmism have seen their funds disappear, their work derided, and themselves labelled as industry stooges.

"Consequently, lies about climate change gain credence even when they fly in the face of the science."

Dr Myles Allen, from Oxford University, agreed. He said: "The Green movement has hijacked the issue of climate change. It is ludicrous to suggest the only way to deal with the problem is to start micro managing everyone, which is what environmentalists seem to want to do."

Nigel Calder, a former editor of New Scientist, said: "Governments are trying to achieve unanimity by stifling any scientist who disagrees. Einstein could not have got funding under the present system."

Check out the movie referenced in the article,

The Great Global Warming Swindle

Good question. It would seem that France is the world leader in providing for its electric power through non polluting nuclear power plants. We could at least follow their lead, couldn't we.

Sure, and just insert every reason why drilling for oil in the gulf was safe...repeat for Nuclear...and cut to the Gulf of Mexico....any shot at Nuclear for the time to come died in the gulf...

A disaster due to deep water oil drilling means we shouldn't build nuclear plants?:confused:

I am saying realistically its not going to sell...thus, it will not happen...Like I said, the argument for them...will be filled with the same promises we heard about deep oil drilling....and of course since we know how that went...the public are not going to want to listen to the same, we have safety back ups and its perfectly safe....when next times its not oil in the gulf...its a city destroyed

Yes a tiny car would be a great hardship to me. You tote a soccer team of 12 around in one of those, I wont.

I dont use coal, I live on the west coast and we use dams for energy except that obama and the government wants to tear out half our dams because they think its hurting the fish even though our salmon run is at record highs.

and what good does it do for us to not use coal and pay more for energy when we just sell the coal to china so they can pollute.

There are hybird SUVs that you could use.

Oh, and those damns you refer to? People have been trying to get them taken out since they were first built. And they were built, you guessed it, ong before Obama was elected. Not only that, but at least one dam removal project was approved by the previous administration. Liberal conspiracy? I think not.

"Do have any idea of the negative environmental impact that would result from switching Americans over to hybrids? I'm guessing not... Batteries, the material used to make them, the process used to acquire those materials, and the actual process of making batteries, are not environmentally friendly."

They are designed to be recycled, so I can see why you would want to put that aside. Oh, and lots of people (and municipalities) already happily drive them.

Nuclear is certainly NOT the only "green" technology, and in fact, is not a true green technology because of the issue of where to stor the toxic nuclear waste. Other green technologies that are actually green include solar, hydroelectric (though it has over environmental concerns), and wind power.

"Are you talking about CO2?"

Among other pllutiants released from tail pipes and flue stacks, yes.

"We are world leaders for now, but if we intentionally handicap ourselves by abandoning traditional energy sources and force the public to go "green" without nuclear power, we will quickly slide down the list as we are replaced by countries who didn't handicap themselves."

And we can only continue to be world leaders if we transition to the use of more alternative energy sources. If we don't, you can bet the bank that the Chinese or someone else will.

Werbung:
I am saying realistically its not going to sell...thus, it will not happen...Like I said, the argument for them...will be filled with the same promises we heard about deep oil drilling....and of course since we know how that went...the public are not going to want to listen to the same, we have safety back ups and its perfectly safe....when next times its not oil in the gulf...its a city destroyed

Nothing is perfectly safe. Some alternatives are more safe than others.

Back